PDA

View Full Version : Sound Demo of a couple of my TL builds.

robin
07-08-2015, 07:45 AM
Hey guys,

Thought it was about time to see how they sound.

I used my TL Thinline for clean and my standard TL for all the dirty work. Both guitars have been upgraded with ToneRider pups.

I use a lot of fx to cover my playing so you don't get a real idea of the sound of these guitars. I don't have a microphone so all guitars were DI'd straight from my Boss ME-70 into Reaper. Meh.

I was trying to get my head around Reaper and thought the best way was to lay down some sort of backing track. So I spent about a few days doing rough backing tracks (both of the songs are only 4 chord vamps) and then recorded the guitars. That was a few months ago.

I then spent the next few months slowly editing the backing tracks behind the guitars and getting used to Reaper. Still a lot to learn.

Gear:
As stated above TL Thinline and standard TL both with ToneRiders
DAW of choice Reaper
All the Plugin VST's (Drums, strings, organ, piano etc) were freeware as were all the fx plugins.

I have listened to them soooo many times over the last few months that I have grown tired of them and I reached a point where I know I can improve them but I just can't be bothered.

Any feedback, both good and bad is welcomed. Its the only way to improve. I am now too close to them to judge them objectively.

Cheers guys and thanks for listening. (Hope the links work)
rob

https://soundcloud.com/user473075613/song-1
https://soundcloud.com/user473075613/song-2

vh2580
07-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Sounds cool Robin, Love the lead sound on the second track.

pablopepper
07-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Oh Rob, these are great, listened to both a few times now. The second one has a bit of a Dire Straits feel to me, but I really, really like the first one.

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Hey guys,

Thought it was about time to see how they sound.

I used my TL Thinline for clean and my standard TL for all the dirty work. Both guitars have been upgraded with ToneRider pups.

I use a lot of fx to cover my playing so you don't get a real idea of the sound of these guitars. I don't have a microphone so all guitars were DI'd straight from my Boss ME-70 into Reaper. Meh.

I was trying to get my head around Reaper and thought the best way was to lay down some sort of backing track. So I spent about a few days doing rough backing tracks (both of the songs are only 4 chord vamps) and then recorded the guitars. That was a few months ago.

I then spent the next few months slowly editing the backing tracks behind the guitars and getting used to Reaper. Still a lot to learn.

Gear:
As stated above TL Thinline and standard TL both with ToneRiders
DAW of choice Reaper
All the Plugin VST's (Drums, strings, organ, piano etc) were freeware as were all the fx plugins.

I have listened to them soooo many times over the last few months that I have grown tired of them and I reached a point where I know I can improve them but I just can't be bothered.

Any feedback, both good and bad is welcomed. Its the only way to improve. I am now too close to them to judge them objectively.

Cheers guys and thanks for listening. (Hope the links work)
rob

https://soundcloud.com/user473075613/song-1
https://soundcloud.com/user473075613/song-2

Woo man!! I just listened to that first demo, I'm impressed Rob. The performance and the production's pretty damn tight. I want in on this action, send me a PM if you're keen and I'll lay down some better sounding drums, only if you're keen that is. I'm gonna go listen to that other one, awesome job man!!

BenWA
07-08-2015, 10:05 AM
both sounding excellent

west0288
07-08-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm with Pabs. I would pay to listen to that first one.

A really good drum line would make this even better. Something a bit more organic would be awesome. :)

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 11:01 AM
wow Rob I'm really impressed with both demo's, both sound great and the playing is very good too !
Did you play your IB-5 for the bass track ?
Really nice feel, there is no need to hide the playing, bring it on mate. Was worth the wait for think your first sound demo on the forum !
I agree with Pabs the lead in the 2nd track has a Dire Straits feel.

Fretworn
07-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Dang Rob, that's good stuff.

zeromick
07-08-2015, 03:36 PM
dang! really sweet stuff man, thoroughly enjoyed listening to them tracks :)

dave.king1
07-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Very nice Rob, I really like the way you have given the music room to breathe

robin
08-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the encouragement.

@vh
Thanks Tony, I’ve changed my sounds so much since I recorded it I have no idea what I was using.

@Pabs
Thanks for the comparison with Dire Straits, I’ll take that as a compliment, not sure that Mark Knopfler would feel the same. Lol.

@Barge
Thanks Nigel, knowing how good your stuff is, I will certainly take that as a compliment. I am not sure you really want to spend any time on my stuff as it’s not going anywhere. It’s just a bit of “therapy” to keep myself amused. But if you are still keen I’ll PM you.

I wanted to use Senheiser’s Drum Mic’a but kept running out of memory. Computer memory that is, not mine. ;)

@West
Yeah, a decent drum VST would be handy, but my rubbish computer has trouble handling those ginormous Plugins.

@Woks
Thanks Warren, no IB-5. I built that as a present and gave it away a few days after I finished it. The bass I used was actually my old faithful 1972 Fender Jazz. Complete with its 20 year old strings. Lol.

Thanks Ben, West, Fretty, Mick and Dave.

rob

stan
08-08-2015, 02:05 PM
they are actually really good Robin, therapy or not, you are good mate. I actually like the lead tone of the first one more.

gavinturner
08-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Great tracks Robin. I also really love that first track the most - it really kicks man - but both are really great pieces of work. Amazing chops you are displaying there, both in the rythm and the lead. Roll on the next tracks!

cheers,
Gav.

wazkelly
28-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Just listened to both tracks and wow that was beautiful. You gave the guitar plenty of space to breathe and shine without overpowering or being overpowered by the backing track. Perfect dynamic balance of light and shade.

robin
29-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Thanks Wazza, more good luck than good judgement. I'm still trying to get my head around DAWs and VSTs etc, but it's good fun.

Swanny
29-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Awesome work there, Robin! I like them both, and like the sounds of the TL's

robin
30-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Swanny, and to think that the last guitar I wanted when I started building guitars was the TL!! I have now build more of them than any other lol.

Cheers mate
rob

DrNomis_44
04-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Hi Robin, just had a listen to both of the demos and I have to say that I like them both, some tasteful guitar playing in them, I like the Bluesy feel you got in the first demo, those Teles sound really nice.

Those demo tracks prove that you most definitely can produce some cool stuff with free VST plugins, I have the following DAWs installed on both my laptop and desktop computers:

FL Studio 12 Producer Edition

Ableton Live 9 Standard

Reaper 5

Reason 5

Most of my production work is done in FL Studio as it can work with midi and audio, you can record audio straight to a playlist track as an audio clip, I mostly use free VST plugins as well but have some paid for plugins too.

robin
06-01-2016, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Doc.

Still working on another demo, but I seem to have run out of talent. lol.

rob

juddernaut
23-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Nice sound and a good set of chops.

tonyw
23-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Excellent.....