PDA

View Full Version : Jointing curves accurately???

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 05:34 AM
I absolutely love this Tele and really want to attempt this type of technique with the contrasting timbers in a flowing type arc.
What's the secret to getting them to butt up perfectly?

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 07:11 AM
I've seen that tele Barge and it looks even better in the flesh. Will have to wait for the mad professor to explain!

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 07:44 AM
I've seen that tele Barge and it looks even better in the flesh. Will have to wait for the mad professor to explain!

I bet it does, did he let you have a strum??

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 08:27 AM
I think I did Barge, I lose track of all the DB builds. From memory it played very well (although played through his Hartke bass amp)
I'm sure it probably resides in the tele nappers collection now !

dingobass
06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
I absolutely love this Tele and really want to attempt this type of technique with the contrasting timbers in a flowing type arc.
What's the secret to getting them to butt up perfectly?

Its really quite easy.
Template is the key. You only need one as you simply flip it over to route the opposing curve.

The only thing you really need to be aware of is that both chunks of tree have equalised for at least six months...
Otherwise you will have them moving at different rates and that is a pain in the joint :)

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 08:48 AM
nice avatar DB !
Of course flip the template and you have the matching curve.
Good point on equalising both chunks or you may have a 2 piece axe !

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Its really quite easy.
Template is the key. You only need one as you simply flip it over to route the opposing curve.

The only thing you really need to be aware of is that both chunks of tree have equalised for at least six months...
Otherwise you will have them moving at different rates and that is a pain in the joint :)

Man, that didn't even occur to me, awesome. It looks like my router with the stuck bit is still under warranty too so hopefully once I get that sorted I will definitely give this a crack. Cheers DB;-)

EDIT: when you say "equalize", is that after you cut the curves?

stan
06-08-2015, 10:21 AM
I think he means equalise in terms of both pieces of timber have aged sufficiently so that once stuck together they dont dry/shrink at different rates....

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 10:28 AM
I think he means equalise in terms of both pieces of timber have aged sufficiently so that once stuck together they dont dry/shrink at different rates....

Arr yep, roger that! So it's just a case of purchasing sufficiently seasoned timber.

dingobass
06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Arr yep, roger that! So it's just a case of purchasing sufficiently seasoned timber.

Yhep, but unless you have a moisture meter this is a bit hit and miss.
The best way is to store the timber in your Man Cave for at least six weeks before using it.
For the best results, store it for at least a year.....

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 11:52 AM
DB don't you mean store the timber at least 6 months ? (you typed 6 weeks)

we're going to the wood show Saturday so might try this out DB, store the timber in the shed for 12 months.
I even got a camphor slab from 12 months ago

kimball492
06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Hey Wokka , is there anyone you recommend at the wood show.might try and get there
Thanks
Kimball

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Hey KB, last year for the first time the Tasmanian furniture company were there and had heaps of veneers and some nice blanks. I am hoping they will be there this year.
Depends what you are looking for tools or timber ?
There's at least 6-8 south west WA timber suppliers so you just have to browse and see what's on offer.
The blank for my latest scratchy came from a bargain bin of wood cost me $20 - 1 piece

kimball492
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Wokka Like most of us here we go looking for one thing and come away with nothing we needed lol. Timber currently but tools are tempting too

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 12:28 PM
haha no worries KB, that's how a man usually works at the shops. go for a $2 part and come back with $300 of gear hahah
There's a big range of tools and timber so allow a few hours.
We plan to get there opening by 9:30am Saturday.
Send me a PM if you want my mobile # to catch up

kimball492
06-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Not sure if I'm going to be there Sat or Sunday Wokka but if I'm there Sat I'll get your number but pm me your number just in case lol

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 12:47 PM
no worries KB, just sent you a PM.
If you keep up this thread jacking mate, Barge will have you a new avatar soon haha

kimball492
06-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Wokka I'm hoping he's so busy working on guitar he won't notice .

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 12:54 PM
haha KB, not much gets past Barge, although he is probably having 5 cup cakes then hitting the gym for 3 hours then buying the $17k PRS !

kimball492
06-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Jeez and I wanted that PRS. Oh well I'm sure it'll have a great home with Barge . Even with cupcakes all over it . Will sent text in a moment Wokka phones charging

dingobass
06-08-2015, 04:21 PM
DB don't you mean store the timber at least 6 months ? (you typed 6 weeks)

we're going to the wood show Saturday so might try this out DB, store the timber in the shed for 12 months.
I even got a camphor slab from 12 months ago

Oops! Well spotted Woks.
Yes six Months is what I meant to say...

Also best to store your timber in as static environment as possible.
A hot in summer and damp and cold in winter tin shed probably isnt the best environment :)

I will try to remember to bring my moisture meter on Saturday, will be interesting to see the readings on some chunks of tree at the show..
I got booted out of one over east because I called shennanigans on a so called reputable dealer for selling kiln dried timber that was reading 35%.... It should have been between 6-12%

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
so treat drying out of the timber like a good red wine DB ie fairly constant temperature ?

classic they threw you out of a wood show for proving them wrong. 35% sounds very damp timber

hope a few customers were turned away at least

dingobass
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Yep, a constant temp and humidity is best.
It drives Miss Fe mad when I stack timbers in the loungeroom :)

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 04:45 PM
haha tell her the wood stash is like fine wine and must be treated as such, don't worry about the extra space it takes up

GeneralKaos
06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
haha KB, not much gets past Barge, although he is probably having 5 cup cakes Sprinkled with bacon then hitting the gym for 3 hours then buying the $17k PRS !

fixed it for you Wokks

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
haha good one Kaos !

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Oops! Well spotted Woks.
Yes six Months is what I meant to say...

I got booted out of one over east because I called shennanigans on a so called reputable dealer for selling kiln dried timber that was reading 35%.... It should have been between 6-12%

Good job on calling them out man, sometimes we put too much faith in the so-called "experts" and half the time are probably unwittingly being duped.
It's too bad you can't get a meter you poke into everything before you buy it.