PDA

View Full Version : PBG preshaped bone nuts..

dingobass
03-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Hey all,

There have been a few questions in regards to the bone nuts I cut for PBG.

1. Width. I deliberatly cut the nuts slightly wider to compensate for any variations in neck at nut width.
This also allows the customer to do their own end shaping.

2. Height. I do cut the nuts high, again, this is to let the customer adjust the nut to their own preferred action height.
The slots are the correct depth, any material that needs to be removed should be taken off the bottom of the nut.
This also allows for angle adjustment as well. (Higher at Bass end, lower at treble)

3. Slots are not evenly spaced. I cut the slots to compensate for the differing string gauges.
This compensation gives a more comfortable playing spacing.

Tindrrel
03-08-2015, 07:06 PM
This also allows for angle adjustment as well. (Higher at Bass end, lower at treble)

Do you mean sand the bottom of the nut at an angle to adjust it?

3. Slots are not evenly spaced. I cut the slots to compensate for the differing string gauges.
This compensation gives a more comfortable playing spacing.

How do you recommend aligning the nut if going to remove material from both ends? Centered, tend towards bass side or treble side?

wokkaboy
03-08-2015, 07:19 PM
thanks for clearing that up for the forum DB.
@ Sam I tend to install the nut slightly toward the treble side so the bass string has a bit more fret to rest on. That's just a personal preference.

dingobass
03-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Do you mean sand the bottom of the nut at an angle to adjust it?

Yhep. A simple trick is to grab your cabnit makers square and clamp it to your bench.
Then place your sandpaper on the bench so it butts up to the square and apply downwards pressure to the treble end as you sand (have the fretboard side of the nut against the handle of your square, this will ensure the bottom of the nut is kept square)

Give it a few swipes then check for height, repeat until you achieve the desired height.

How do you recommend aligning the nut if going to remove material from both ends? Centered, tend towards bass side or treble side?

This is personal preference. I tend to align the nut with more space on the Bass side, but if you are a string bender you may want more room on the treble side.

Hope this makes sense.... My Bat Senses tell me a video may be in order :)

Tindrrel
07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
What tools should one use to shape the ends of the bone nut? A file, sandpaper, one then the other?

dingobass
07-08-2015, 12:20 PM
If you have a lot of bone to remove, start with a fine file then finish and polish with sandpaper and wet and dry.

Tindrrel
07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks DB.

stan
07-08-2015, 01:15 PM
have ordered them with each of my kits - well worth it guys

dingobass
07-08-2015, 01:24 PM
have ordered them with each of my kits - well worth it guys

So you are the one responsible for me having to constantly cut Bone Nuts eh? :)

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 01:28 PM
haha that's it DB
remember that time you cut all those left handed nuts DB when they were supposed to be right handed, keep the leftys as spares for Stan the man !

Zandit75
25-09-2016, 08:29 PM
DB, do you happen to do any nuts in TUSQ? I'm looking for a black nut for my Carson Refurb.

dingobass
25-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Zandy, in one word, no.....

Now take your self off to the naughty warehouse for re education :D
Woks will pour you a bevvy on arrival.

Seriously though, you should be able to get a suitable tu...tus.. nope, cant bring myself to say it... replacement nut from www.realparts.com.au

Zandit75
26-09-2016, 04:02 AM
Zandy, in one word, no.....

Now take your self off to the naughty warehouse for re education :D
Woks will pour you a bevvy on arrival.

Seriously though, you should be able to get a suitable tu...tus.. nope, cant bring myself to say it... replacement nut from www.realparts.com.au

Haha, I guess the re-education better start right here!!
I was under the impression from a number of reviews that the "material" was a big improvement?
That's not your experience?

stan
26-09-2016, 08:17 AM
So you are the one responsible for me having to constantly cut Bone Nuts eh? :)

yep and there should be a MOP one and bridge ready soon...

dingobass
26-09-2016, 08:47 AM
Did that not arrive Stan?
Bugger me.... looks like I will have to cut some more, lucky I still have the dimensions stuck to my drawer cabinet......

stan
26-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Did that not arrive Stan?
Bugger me.... looks like I will have to cut some more, lucky I still have the dimensions stuck to my drawer cabinet......

PM sent mate