PDA

View Full Version : Another one gone

dave.king1
31-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Yesterday music lost a true giant in Buddy Emmons, sadly unknown to most outside of country music.

Buddy was a pedal steel player whose music knew no boundaries, he not only played some of the sweetest country but traded licks with some of the best in jazz such as Danny Gatton.

Here is his arrangement of Jimmy Webb's "Witchita Lineman" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T23Z1e8UnPM ( hope it plays I'm on Mrs DKs iPad )

Pedal steel players are not of this world, two 10 string necks with different tunings ( generally C6 & E9 ) numerous pedals and levers that bend strings both up and down.

Please dive down the YouTube rabbit hole and have a listen to both Buddy and this extraordinary instrument.

For those who have watched the Crossroads Concert videos, this is what Robert Randolph plays in a very different genre

Rabbitz
01-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Hi Dave,

I've worked at gigs where guys like Michel Rose have been playing - I have no idea how they do what they do.

dave.king1
01-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Dave,

I've worked at gigs where guys like Michel Rose have been playing - I have no idea how they do what they do.

G'day Rabz,

I was in a jam last Christmas that included Stuie French Michel's guitarist and he is also a more than useful steel player ( and a very good guitarist )

Rabbitz
01-08-2015, 06:12 AM
Stuie is a quite capable guitarist. Never seen him on a steel.

He does head off on tangents with his "projects" though - I worked for Shane Flew a bit (was the drummer in Feral Swing Katz) that where I've met them.