PDA

View Full Version : Gettin a bright distortion sound

KurtSlash123
30-07-2015, 08:55 PM
So I'm wondering what your thoughts are on getting a nice bright distorted Rock sound without it sounding 'bassy'. Pedals? Amps? Software simulation? Mic setups or DI? How do you guys do it?

Cheers,
Kurt

kimball492
30-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi Kurt , are you talking about recording . What mics ,pedals, amps ,recording software are you using.

DrNomis_44
31-07-2015, 12:22 AM
Haven't really tried, but maybe a good start might be to adjust the tone controls on the amp to get a bright sound, I believe that the tone you get is a synergy of the parts of a signal-chain all working together, some amps tend to sound a bit dark, some, like the Vox AC30 Top Boost tend to sound bright with a glassy treble, others tend to be more midrangey, also, the mic you use will colour the tone too.

pablopepper
31-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Easy.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/images/products/gallery/ds1_gal.jpg

KurtSlash123
31-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Already a step ahead of you pabs! I'm currently running my guitar through the ds1 and into a Roland cube 30 amp, I'm currently experimenting with going DI it mics, my mic however is an me if I remember correctly, it's a red thing from JB hifi. That gets run into my interface which is an avid mbox mini, then into these to record of GarageBand because I'm too lazy to install pro tools 😂

Cheers Kurt.

Fretworn
01-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Low cut filter in your DAW. But you also may need to start with a "bright" sound on your guitar and amp. Panning can also help as well funnily enough, no instrument should be dead-centre.

You can also try recording the part clean, making a copy of the track and using a plug-in amp distortion on one track while keeping the other clean. The clean track shouldn't have to be loud in the mix, just enough to bring the that brightness back in.