PDA

View Full Version : Fret buzz on 1st fret

dave.king1
21-07-2015, 01:01 PM
G'day all,

What do you recommend for fret buzz on the 1st fret on the D, G & B strings only.

This is on the just completed STA-1 kit, I have installed a bone nut and currently have the stock .9s on it which will be swapped to.10s but I don't expect the extra tension to make a difference at the 1st fret in this instance.

Should add I have a collection of fine files so could easily knock it down a bit but thought I'd ask here first

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:09 PM
hey Dave, presume you fret levelled the neck ?
could be a number of reasons. The nut slots on the D, G and B strings maybe a tad too deep.
Try removing the nut and put a thin piece of cardboard or folded paper on the treble side will lift the nut a touch. Re-tune and try that.
Fractions of millimetres on the nut slot height can have a huge difference how it plays

dave.king1
21-07-2015, 02:46 PM
G'day Wok,

Not done a fret level yet I wanted to see how it pulled up first, I guess it's off with the strings and the nut and do the job properly

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Hey Dave, yeah see how it plays after a fret level. Might even need the bridge saddle heights adjusted and possibly truss rod too.
A slightly too deep nut slot will have a big impact on fret buzz first few frets.
There's a comprehensive guitar setup thread somewhere that Gavmeister posted, not sure where that is.
Also a neck will need to be played and set in so don't worry too much about a bit of buzz in the early stages

dave.king1
21-07-2015, 03:53 PM
The truss rod is set and so is the bridge, both of which I would expect to have little effect at the nut unless I put a lot of neck relief in and then drop the bridge.

The frets require looking at regardless and I'll have a bit of time over the weekend because SWMBO is off to the weekended for a bit of respite ( away from me :D ) and also because I'm racing on Sunday