PDA

View Full Version : Picks - What's your preference?

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Stumbled upon this video a few days ago, and it got me thinking. I haven't really thought about the picks i've used for a heck of a long time, maybe there is something better out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84RxNcl2l4

I have been using the same picks (or similar variations) for well over 15 years now. My last major change was to move from celluloid to tortex. My current preference is Dunlop Gator Grips in .96mm.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/images/products/Gator96-11.png

So, I did some digging around and found a few different manufacturers of interesting new styles and materials. The few mentioned in the video above as well as Hufschmid, Winspear, StoneWorks to name a few, all making handmade picks! Crazy! And really expensive! I don't know about you, but I've always considered picks to be a bit of a disposable commodity. Buy them by the handful and don't worry when the go missing, but at $30 - $100 each...

Anyway, it got me thinking, what picks are you guys using? Anyone using anything unique?

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Another thing, over the next few days I'm going to have a go at making some thicker, acrylic picks (because I can, dammit). Depending on how they go, would anyone be interested in product testing one for me? Or does anyone have some suggestions as to what you like or don't like about commercially available plectrums.

KurtSlash123
21-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Hell yeah I'll product test for you, I personally love thicker picks, I can't stand those flimsy thin and stupid little picks. I'm currently using .73 claytons, not bad but could go thicker and more sturdy but there easy to find locally for me :P

Bass Guy
21-07-2015, 09:19 AM
I used to swear by the good ol' Dunlop Tortex .88mm picks- mainly because Metallica used them, and I was 16.

But after falling under the spell of Danny Gatton, I switched to Fender medium teardrops and my playing style changed overnight.

Nowadays, on the rare occasions I play guitar with a pick, I use Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks- ideally with the Tru-Grip rough surface.

For bass I am predominantly a fingerstyle player, but when I need to play with a pick I use thumbpicks. This enables me to switch from one form of attack to another within seconds. I found a brand of thumbpicks other than Jim Dunlop to try called Pickboy- they're much thinner and snappier than the Dunlop thumbpicks with out being too flimsy to withstand bass strings.

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 09:23 AM
First prototype, and I'm already learning. Needs to be bigger, but not a bad start.
http://i.imgur.com/Dnp6QLm.jpg
3mm thick, beveled edges to a point. Now I have to wait until I get home this afternoon to give it a test.

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 09:30 AM
I used to swear by the good ol' Dunlop Tortex .88mm picks- mainly because Metallica used them, and I was 16.

But after falling under the spell of Danny Gatton, I switched to Fender medium teardrops and my playing style changed overnight.

Nowadays, on the rare occasions I play guitar with a pick, I use Jim Dunlop Jazz III picks- ideally with the Tru-Grip rough surface.

For bass I am predominantly a fingerstyle player, but when I need to play with a pick I use thumbpicks. This enables me to switch from one form of attack to another within seconds. I found a brand of thumbpicks other than Jim Dunlop to try called Pickboy- they're much thinner and snappier than the Dunlop thumbpicks with out being too flimsy to withstand bass strings.

I was very anti pick on bass for a long time. Then I started playing in a punk band and found I needed the extra attack and speed over fingerstyle. Hate using them for pretty much anything else. Gotta play to the situation, I guess.

Bass Guy
21-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I always tell people starting on bass to learn both pick and fingers. You never know when you'll need one over the other. I initially found conventional picks very hard to use on bass when I started, so I immediately worked on my right hand callouses instead. The pressure required to hold the pick and give enough attack on the string was too much for me at the time.

Thumbpicks provided an elegant solution for me- still can't use them on guitar, though!

Fretworn
21-07-2015, 11:10 AM
I prefer picks with grip - like Dunlop nylons. Find I can have a looser grip that way. .60s for acoustic, .76s for electric. I do have some 1.5mm Gator Grips I use for bass.

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 11:11 AM
interesting video Pabs and keen to find out how your prototype picks turn out.
I've mainly used the Dunlop purple picks pictured, a stiffer pick works better for me

dave.king1
21-07-2015, 11:12 AM
From when I first started to lean bass around the middle of last century :D I have used a Fender celluloid pick of about .8mm, use fingers very rarely but do hybrid pick on both guitar and bass.

When fingerpicking bass I also use the sides of my nails on 2nd & ring fingers which gives a really edgy metallic sound in conjunction with the heavy gauge round wounds.

For guitar I use .88 Dunlop Max Grip, just starting to fool around with thumb picks but have yet to find one I like so currently less than inspired to keep trying thumbpicks.

stan
21-07-2015, 01:53 PM
i've always found it hard to use a pick, and mainly use fingers. i also use my thumb a lot, sort of Wes Montgomery style (without the talent)

keloooe
21-07-2015, 03:19 PM
I started with 0.88mm Dunlop picks then went to 0.88mm Max Grips..... Now I prefer a thicker pick (better tone, more control, louder tone overall) and I use Dunlop Max Grip 1.5mm picks, and I'd love to test a Pabs Custom Pick!

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Sweet. Pm me your address and I'll swing one out to you. Got a colour choice?

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 03:35 PM
First of impressions are quite good. It took a couple of strums to get used to the feel of it, but sounds stronger and maybe a bit more articulate. No clacking in between strings and the sharp point makes picking out individual strings a tad easier.

kimball492
21-07-2015, 03:43 PM
I use wood plecks seems to give me nice tone on guitar and bass when needed( mostly use finger style on bass though)
See pics I need to sand edges and as you can see there's different thicknesses. Ref tone differences between them recording at 96khz .I can't tell lol. Recommend a hardwood as you can appreciate.

keloooe
21-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Sweet Pabs, sending you my address now. Also a good tip dont use celluloid as they wear out really fast, I used a Gibson pick for what would be about 3 weeks and its now more like a circle than a triangle, yet my Max Grip which I have been using for around six months is still going strong and staying in a decent shape.....

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Nah mate, I'm using acrylic. These should last for years and years.

keloooe
21-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Nah mate, I'm using acrylic. These should last for years and years.

I never said you were using celluloid, I was providing a helpful tip to the forumites :D
Yeah acrylic will last for donkey's years, I might have to do a sound demo if I get the chance.... Your prototype reminds me of the Gravity picks, which IMO are bloody amazing picks!

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Fair enough, I can't stand celluloid picks.

pablopepper
21-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Nice Kimball! Did you make those?

gavinturner
21-07-2015, 04:24 PM
Your pick looks awesome Pabs. Interested to know what Callum thinks of it!

cheers,
Gav.

kimball492
21-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Hey Pabs no I was given them free by Crimson Guitars when I ordered some templates. Also got some free wooden humbucker mounts too. Did you ever use plans to make templates I may need the neck ones and fret markers.truss rod cover

pablopepper
22-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Ok, now we're just gettin silly.
http://i.imgur.com/CaoPgYc.jpg
This thing is huge. 9mm thick.

keloooe
22-07-2015, 02:51 PM
Pabs you have just made the pick equivalent of the Purple Plectrum!!! (the small one)

kimball492
22-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Yep Pabs that looks like a Bass Players pick that's been on steroids.

pablopepper
22-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Pabs you have just made the pick equivalent of the Purple Plectrum!!! (the small one)

That was the idea, bro. Not a fan of this one. Way too ungainly. Sounds good with chords, but meh.

keloooe
22-07-2015, 04:08 PM
That was the idea, bro. Not a fan of this one. Way too ungainly. Sounds good with chords, but meh.

So now it's time for the 25mm PP?

DrNomis_44
21-09-2015, 03:03 AM
I tend to chop-and-change a bit when it comes to picks, I used to use really thin flimsy picks when I first started out playing guitar, then I found out that one of my favourite guitarists, Eric Johnson, used Jazz III picks I had to give them a try, recently I've been using 3mm Stubbies, and some new picks called Teckpicks, they are about 1mm thick and about the same size as a Jim Dunlop .73mm Tortex pick, but are made of metal, there's three types, one is made of Brass, one is made of Aircraft-grade Aluminium and is black with a smooth surface, the other is also made of Aircraft-grade Aluminium but is silver with a textured surface, all three types have three 3mm sized holes drilled in them, the pic below shows what they look like. 5397

pablopepper
21-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Cool, those picks look pretty nice, DrN. Do they produce a brighter tone than plastics like the other metal picks going around?

moody
22-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Currently 3 mm dunlop big stubbies.

I have a wrist problem which means I can no longer play bass with fingers. Over about 5 years playing with picks this is what I ended up on. I prefer the shape as it allows the pick to slide over the string rather than an edge getting caught and they also last a long time (unlike a lot of my previous picks).

wazkelly
22-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Currently using Jim Dunlop .73mm grey nylon picks mainly for electric and acoustic guitar, and occasionally on bass but working harder on using fingers at present. When playing bass several nights a week about 30 years ago Jim Dunlop 1.0mm black nylon picks were the go as they are durable, did not give off an obvious pick sound, and not so hard that you would end up breaking strings, as did happen on a few occasions using the typical hard plastic ones. If you want more bite or attacking sound from picking would suggest giving one of these acrylic ones a try over metal ones.

keloooe
22-09-2015, 11:20 PM
So I've given my pick choice before but it has been updated as of recently....

Guitar: 0.71mm Dunlop Gator Grip
Bass: 1mm Dunlop Max Grip

Reason behind going from 1.5 to 1mm is the fact that the 1 is more flexible while still giving the right output from the strings, the 1.5 was just too thick IMO...
And I feel extra shreddy I'll whip out Pablo's picks for a spin on the guitars :D

stan
23-09-2015, 10:17 AM
check these:

http://riki-le-plectrier.net/en/

http://riki-le-plectrier.net/600-thickbox/plectre-mediator-guitare-jazz-slides-xl.jpg

http://riki-le-plectrier.net/607-thickbox/plectre-mediator-guitare-jazz-slides-mini.jpg

these ones are about 35 euro, but he makes cheaper ones and timber ones, these are super nice though. No i dont have any...

pablopepper
23-09-2015, 10:22 AM
OMG. Those are stunning......not that I'd ever pay almost $60 for a pick, but, wow!

stan
23-09-2015, 10:26 AM
yeah they are off the chain , all right. you could wear it ... I'd be too scared to break the damned thing. This guy is on the electric guitars builders resource page on FB. He seems like a good guy, have messaged him about his work

vh2580
23-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Giving some Dava Control picks a go . The smalljazz pick is my favourite at the moment as its small size in my big ass fingers gives a lot of harmonic fom thumb touches. real easy to get the high gain Harmonic squeal going.

robin
23-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm with you Tony, the small Jazz III's. I used to use the larger ones but now that I have gotten used to the small blighters and I don't think there's any going back. Pinch/false harmonics now whether I want them or not. lol.