PDA

View Full Version : Archtop Quilted Tele

Pages : [1] 2

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 03:50 PM
So I got hold of a couple of pieces of Silkwood (QLD Maple) with some really nice quilting, and I'm planning a Tele shape with a LP style archtop carve.
I'll be going a double humbucker config with a TOM bridge and a trapeze tailpiece. I'll be doing the classic Tele control layout, but coming through from the back so as to keep the top clean and eliminate the need for a control plate.
I'm planning a black/blue burst similar to the LP in the pic with a faux antique white binding and natural back/sides.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 03:53 PM
cool sounds like a great project Barge. Where you sourcing the tele body from ? scratchy ?

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Body glued and clamped.
Apart from glue everywhere the neck's in pretty good shape, best part is at least the tuner holes will be in the right place.
Made up a template for the neck pocket and had a practice run on some scrap, fits like a glove.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 03:58 PM
nice one Barge, this should be another super cool build

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Positioned the template and held down using the masking tape/super glue trick.
Routed the pocket without incident.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:03 PM
nice one Barge, so how hard is the silkwood to cut ?

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:04 PM
And a really nice fit, I can relax now.

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:05 PM
nice one Barge, so how hard is the silkwood to cut ?

Being part of the maple family, it's pretty hard and brittle but luckily I got away without any chipping.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:10 PM
nice one, so how thick is the blank 40 or 45mm ?
not sure what width you need for an archtop.
So this could be the last Barge and Woks show thread !

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:13 PM
From memory it was 43mm, so should be heaps for a nice carve on top, I'll make it work one way or another.
Yeah/nah, I'll probably still post scratchies in here

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:15 PM
nice 43mm thick is plenty to play with.
So you get to drill your own tuner holes !

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:17 PM
So you get to drill your own tuner holes !

Hahaha yeah, neat aye!! I can't wait.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:19 PM
yeah for sure.
You got a drill press hey ?
Can't wait to see a close up of the grain on the silkwood !

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:23 PM
yeah for sure.
You got a drill press hey ?
Can't wait to see a close up of the grain on the silkwood !

You get a bit of an idea looking at this pic but once I start sanding it's really gonna come to life hopefully.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:24 PM
yeah can see some nice quilting bro. Another bonus is no veneers required on an archtop would be pretty difficult.
Looks like the Barge and Woks show is back on air !

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 04:29 PM
yeah can see some nice quilting bro. Another bonus is no veneers required on an archtop would be pretty difficult.
Looks like the Barge and Woks show is back on air !

Soooo much easier not having to deal with thin veneers. Looks like it is Wokks;-)

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 04:31 PM
yeah for sure, where did you stumble across the blank silkwood bro ?
So what colour stain you got in mind bro ?

stan
20-07-2015, 04:56 PM
with the amount of work you put in Barge, you might as well do scratch bodies.
cool project bro

pablopepper
20-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Aw yeah. Love the concept.

dingobass
20-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Being part of the maple family, it's pretty hard and brittle but luckily I got away without any chipping.

Actually, it isnt a member of the Acer (Maple) family.

Bit hard to tell untill you sand it, but my guess is that chunk of tasty tree is probably Flindersia pimenteliana (common name Maple Silkwood or Rose Silkwood.
The most likely possibility is Flindersia brayleyana (common name QLD maple or maple silkwood).

There are 17 trees in the Flindersia family, all are native to the Moluccan, New Guinea and Australia regions.

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Actually, it isnt a member of the Acer (Maple) family.

Bit hard to tell untill you sand it, but my guess is that chunk of tasty tree is probably Flindersia pimenteliana (common name Maple Silkwood or Rose Silkwood.
The most likely possibility is Flindersia brayleyana (common name QLD maple or maple silkwood).

There are 17 trees in the Flindersia family, all are native to the Moluccan, New Guinea and Australia regions.

Shows what I know:P

So I got the rough shape cut out tonight, I haven't got a long flush cut router bit so I'll just have to even out the shape with the sander, a bit slower but should hopefully end up with the same outcome.
She's a damn heavy hunk of wood, fingers crossed the carve should lighten it up a little bit.

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 09:47 PM
The neck fit passes the test

Brendan
20-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Nicely done Barge... Looking freaking good already!

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Nicely done Barge... Looking freaking good already!

Cheers dude, I was definitely the most nervous about doing the neck pocket, I can relax a bit now. Hopefully it should be plain sailing from here on out (famous last words)...

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Looking good Barge you are always full steam ahead. If the body Is heavy you may have to chamber it. I had to on my latest scratchy. You still got to route pup and control cavities so it will be a bit lighter

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 10:08 PM
yeah for sure, where did you stumble across the blank silkwood bro ?
So what colour stain you got in mind bro ?

I picked the wood up through these blokes http://www.guitarmakersemporium.com.au/ Wokks, like I said at the start, I'm leaning towards that blue/black burst like on the LP on page 1. I'm probably gonna use tattoo ink again, it's just so easy to work with and I really liked the results I got on the "Rayzor"

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Looking good Barge you are always full steam ahead. If the body Is heavy you may have to chamber it. I had to on my latest scratchy. You still got to route pup and control cavities so it will be a bit lighter

Yeah, like you say, rout out those cavities and carve the top and it should lighten the load a bit. I can't really see how I could chamber this one.

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Cheers Barge. Should look choice as bro.
I'll check out the website

wokkaboy
20-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Depends how big will the control cavity be? If you aren't chambering it make a larger Control cavity will shed more weight

kimball492
20-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Nige , looks great .Nice job on the neck pocket bro .Bet your stoked. How did you finally get the old router tool out . So tomorrow's carving day .

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Depends how big will the control cavity be? If you aren't chambering it make a larger Control cavity will shed more weight

It was only going to be big enough to house standard Tele electronics but there's no reason why I couldn't make it a little roomier.
I mean it's not crazy heavy, so once the routs are done it should be cool.

bargeloobs
20-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Nige , looks great .Nice job on the neck pocket bro .Bet your stoked. How did you finally get the old router tool out . So tomorrow's carving day .

Yeah I'm pleased how that neck pocket worked out, it couldn't be better really. No the next job will be routing the pup cavities while I've still got a flat top. Then I can get stuck in with the grinder:-)

EDIT: You wouldn't believe it. I stripped the whole goddam router to bits, pulled the coil out and everything to get that rabbiting bit out, got it back together and now the 12.7 inverted flush cut bit's stuck in there... f*#kin' thing.
When I get some money I'm just gonna buy a new router and that bit can stay in there.

kimball492
21-07-2015, 12:30 AM
Reading something earlier . About a guy that kept getting router bits stuck in router .He discovered that when he hadn't got a tool in he was tightening the collet down,this caused the collet to stick lock up. Replaced the collet and he was fine might be worth trying that first. So Guys always leave collet lose when no router bit in machine .

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Reading something earlier . About a guy that kept getting router bits stuck in router .He discovered that when he hadn't got a tool in he was tightening the collet down,this caused the collet to stick lock up. Replaced the collet and he was fine might be worth trying that first. So Guys always leave collet lose when no router bit in machine .

The problem lies with the little button you depress to hold the shaft when you're undoing the collet. I think the teeth are worn in one direction, you can do it up no worries but when you push it in to undo it just slips.

Got all the top routing finished and the holes drilled this morning, just have to clean up the sides a bit more then it's time to start carving.
I changed my mind at the last minute and opted for a Les Paul style toggle switch in favour of the Tele 3 way, hence the third larger hole.

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:05 PM
nice job Barge, gee you don't muck around.
So TOM bridge and trapeze tailpiece ?
I have the same problem with a router the lock button won't stop the shaft spinning when trying to loosen the collet. Oh well will keep using it till the router bit is blunt

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 01:11 PM
nice job Barge, gee you don't muck around.
So TOM bridge and trapeze tailpiece ?
I have the same problem with a router the lock button won't stop the shaft spinning when trying to loosen the collet. Oh well will keep using it till the router bit is blunt

Yeah TOM and a trapeze, I'm just trying to roll with stuff I already have, and I had a spare bridge leftover from the "Blacktop" build.
It was only like a $80 or $90 router so I guess you get what you pay for, luckily I can use that same bit for everything and if worst comes to worst I now know how to completely dismantle the router with my eyes closed.

stan
21-07-2015, 01:13 PM
hey Barge, just so i understand, TOM bridge inset due to low or no neck angle? how did you work out how much?

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Stan, presume Barge got a long ruler and placed from nut to the TOM on the body and roughly worked out how much lower it had to go so the strings rest on the 24th fret when bottomed out

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 01:20 PM
hey Barge, just so i understand, TOM bridge inset due to low or no neck angle? how did you work out how much?

Yep, there's no neck break angle on this hence the recessed bridge. I based most of my measurements off the "Bladecatcher" since there's very little difference in the overall height of this neck and the PBG Tele necks at the heel.
Neck pocket depth, and bridge rout are the same as the Bladecatcher. I did a dummy run with a couple of strings when I worked out my lateral bridge position and the string height is looking good, once the bridge is dropped the 6mm it should be pretty spot on (fingers crossed).

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:23 PM
sounds good Barge sure the heights will work out. I'd drill your bush holes and work out the thickness of the bush might raise the bridge couple of mm in its lowest position

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 01:27 PM
sounds good Barge sure the heights will work out. I'd drill your bush holes and work out the thickness of the bush might raise the bridge couple of mm in its lowest position

I think even with the bush taken into consideration there should still be shitloads of height adjustment . Just looking at the Bladecatcher, it's actually wound up a fair bit on the bridge so the 6mm cavity will give more than enough adjustment in both directions.

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:37 PM
yeah sounds good Barge. If you are only using one router bit how did you route the 6mm deep bridge cavity ? Use a thicker template ?
thats presuming the bearing is ontop of the bit.
Tune in folks the Barge and Woks show is currently airing

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 01:50 PM
yeah sounds good Barge. If you are only using one router bit how did you route the 6mm deep bridge cavity ? Use a thicker template ?
thats presuming the bearing is ontop of the bit.
Tune in folks the Barge and Woks show is currently airing

I just stuck some risers down first, double laminated 6mm cardboard under the template seem to work sweet. I had to use it on the pup routs too as Pab's acrylic template is probably half the thickness of my ply templates.

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 01:58 PM
ah nice workaround bro ! Yeah its nice to have the full bearing touching the template hey

bargeloobs
21-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Spent a few hours on the grinder+sander and carved the arch into the top, not real good light in the pics but once some colour goes on it should stand out a bit more.

wokkaboy
21-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Looking good Barge. So you got the control cavity to route? Look forward to some stain to see the carves more clearly

keloooe
22-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Looks good Barge!

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Thanks @Pest, Wokks.

Templates made for control cavity, time to make a hole.

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 10:30 AM
nice one Barge you got the cavity and recess templates made. Is that plywood with some laminate cover on it ?
The tele coverplate on the back should look cool.
Hopefully the final weight will be ok. I don't mind a slightly heavier axe always feels good

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 11:01 AM
nice one Barge you got the cavity and recess templates made. Is that plywood with some laminate cover on it ?
The tele coverplate on the back should look cool.
Hopefully the final weight will be ok. I don't mind a slightly heavier axe always feels good

It's a marine ply apparently, my buddy uses it to make PA speaker boxes and gave me a heap of offcuts, so yeah it's some form of weather proof coating.
Tele coverplate?
The weights actually fine now that I've carved a heap off the top, not sure of the exact weight but it wouldn't be any heavier than one of the mahogany LP bodies.

Cavity's cleaned out ready for routing, no turning back now.

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 11:04 AM
ah ok I use marine ply for my templates works well. The coating will protect the top and bottom surfaces nicely.
The control cover will be a tele shape right, I mean with no holes in it !
What you making that out of perspex or timber offcut ?

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 11:08 AM
ah ok I use marine ply for my templates works well. The coating will protect the top and bottom surfaces nicely.
The control cover will be a tele shape right, I mean with no holes in it !
What you making that out of perspex or timber offcut ?

The inside cavity is exactly the size of a Tele control plate, whereas the control plate itself will be a fair bit bigger (you can just see the outline marked in pencil).
I'm just using a silkwood offcut and fashioning a nice screwless plate out of that.

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 11:16 AM
sounds like a plan Barge. so a nice tight fit for the cover and it won't need screws, should look choice az bruh !

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 01:16 PM
sounds like a plan Barge. so a nice tight fit for the cover and it won't need screws, should look choice az bruh !

Not really sure I'd rely on a "nice tight fit" to hold the control cover in place, you'd never get it off again. nah I've got another little trick up my sleeve.

Control cavity and plate recess complete.

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 01:55 PM
nice work Barge, wonder what your little trick is to hold the cover plate on !
Might pay to put your switch and pots in the check the depth of the cavity make sure you can get a thread on them ok

dingobass
22-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Rare earth magnets would do the trick...

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 03:46 PM
ah nice one DB hadn't thought of that, might try that next cover plate I make that I don't want screws to hold it in place

stan
22-07-2015, 05:22 PM
doing well Barge, this is looking good.
lets see the carved top!

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Might pay to put your switch and pots in the check the depth of the cavity make sure you can get a thread on them ok

Pretty much the first thing I checked after finishing the cavity Wokks, as you can see it's all pretty good:-)

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Yep, so as DB rightly pointed out, I'm using neodymium or rare Earth magnets to hold the cover in place. I also fashioned a little tool with 3 magnets in the end to aid in removing the cover, you wouldn't get it off otherwise, without damaging something anyway.

kimball492
22-07-2015, 10:48 PM
Well done Nige looks fantastic.how the heck you going to part with it. Make sure you number it 01

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Well done Nige looks fantastic.how the heck you going to part with it. Make sure you number it 01

Cheers Kim. Hahaha I can part with anything if the price is right, except for the kids maybe:-) Yeah I will number it...good idea.

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Nice touch Barge with the control cover and removal tool. Glad I learnt something new today cuz !

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Nice touch Barge with the control cover and removal tool. Glad I learnt something new today cuz !

You just stick with me bro, I'll see you right;-)

wokkaboy
22-07-2015, 11:08 PM
How thick are the magnets bro ? looks like you recessed them

bargeloobs
22-07-2015, 11:29 PM
How thick are the magnets bro ? looks like you recessed them
Yeah they need to be sunk so the plate sits flat in it's recess.
3mm maybe, something like that. It was actually a fair bit of work sinking them into the plate. Because you need a flat bottomed hole so as not to bust through the other side as well as keep the magnets seated properly you can only go so far with a pointed drill bit. I then had to square off the bottom of the hole with a little stone grinding bit on the end of the dremmel.

GeneralKaos
23-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Would an end mill work?

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 07:31 AM
Would an end mill work?

Yeah, something like that would actually be perfect. I might have to try one in the drill press, cheers.

dingobass
23-07-2015, 08:17 AM
What you need is a set of Brad Point drill bits...

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:01 PM
What you need is a set of Brad Point drill bits...

Nah I've got some of those. All good for drilling the body where you've got plenty of meat under the bottom of the hole but trying to make a hole for a 3 mm magnet in a 5mm control plate, the lead point in the bit would pierce right through. I like the router bit idea but I haven't got one the right diameter.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:03 PM
yeah would have been delicate work Barge not to punch through the cover. Did you drill the magnet holes before you shaped the cover ?
Would hate to shape it then punch a hole through it

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Not sure if it was dumb luck but height wise the control plate was pretty close to flush when I cut it so i knew how much room I had to work with as far as the magnet holes went.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:07 PM
nice one bro. Where do you get the special magnets from brah ?

Looks like the BAWS (Barge and Woks Show) is up and running

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:08 PM
you are only 464 posts from Overlord status brah, the lounge is pretty deluxe !

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:11 PM
nice one bro. Where do you get the special magnets from brah ?

Looks like the BAWS (Barge and Woks Show) is up and running

BAWS hehehe, coz if you read for too long it BAWS you to death:-)
Nah those magnets were just ebay specials, $10 for a hundred or something stupid, just punch in "neodymium" and up comes thousands.

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:12 PM
you are only 464 posts from Overlord status brah, the lounge is pretty deluxe !

Oh yeah, you got Pale Ale??

keloooe
23-07-2015, 03:14 PM
You know you can't have the Wokka Barge Pest Show without Pest ;)

Great cover plate brah! Also you should seriously get the last few hundred posts in the bag, the Overlord Lounge is choice brah!

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:15 PM
any beer you want in the overlord lounge Barge, I haven't been there for a few weeks, Pest will fill you in

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:18 PM
So I got the back edges all rolled nice today and did and heap of sanding. I'll seal the whole thing, give a final sand then it's time to think about some colour for the top.

keloooe
23-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Yeah brah, the Overlord Lounge is filled with so much! Cinema, bar, workspaces, anything you could want mate!

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:19 PM
so Pest has it got a helicopter pad in case Bronwyn visits ?

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:21 PM
You know you can't have the Wokka Barge Pest Show without Pest ;)

Great cover plate brah! Also you should seriously get the last few hundred posts in the bag, the Overlord Lounge is choice brah!

Orr so it's more like the BAWAPS, coz BAWAPS they'll talk about something interesting or BAWAPS they won't...

keloooe
23-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Brah, of course it has a helo pad ;)

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:22 PM
haha thats it Barge, better crank up Bodycount song "There goes the neighborhood" haha

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:23 PM
I've seen all this Brownwyn/helicopter stuff been posted everywhere and don't even know what it relates to. I don't watch the news...ever. If world war 3 started tomorrow, I'd literally be the last to know:P

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:24 PM
haha thats it Barge, better crank up Bodycount song "There goes the neighborhood" haha

Now THAT was a great album:-)

pablopepper
23-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Doing binding on this one? Or have I missed that?

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:26 PM
as long as you are trapped in the man cave Barge when the WW3 starts !

FYI she took a tax payer funded helicopter flight to a function and has got a tad of criticism for it

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Doing binding on this one? Or have I missed that?
After the success of my last faux binding attempt I reckon I'll do the same on this. Real binding would be cool but I don't have a router table for doing an archtop:-(

pablopepper
23-07-2015, 03:30 PM
OK rad. :)

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:30 PM
as long as you are trapped in the man cave Barge when the WW3 starts !

FYI she took a tax payer funded helicopter flight to a function and has got a tad of criticism for it

Just another politician skimming a bit off the top then, it's known as the "perks of the job" Wokks:-) It helps if you haven't got a conscience too.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:32 PM
thats it Barge,
you will be up to page 30 of this diary in no time if the thread jacking squad continue haha

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:33 PM
thats it Barge,
you will be up to page 30 of this diary in no time if the thread jacking squad continue haha

The ol' TJS!

pablopepper
23-07-2015, 03:34 PM
You cats need a logo.

pablopepper
23-07-2015, 03:34 PM
And maybe a theme song.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:35 PM
haha TJS thats it Barge
@ Pabs we sure do, we know how to demolish the activity page haha - can you please write us a theme song ?

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:35 PM
You cats need a logo.

I'm sure someone could arrange something...

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:36 PM
yeah Barge you are the paintshop guru and know a thing or two about writing music

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:47 PM
haha TJS thats it Barge
@ Pabs we sure do, we know how to demolish the activity page haha - can you please write us a theme song ?

Something along these lines I reckon...

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:54 PM
bwahahahahhahahah nice paintshop Barge. I also remember you paintshopped a Barge and Woks show poster too in a previous build diary maybe
Maybe Ads could give out a thread jacker of the year (TJOTY) award end of the year but think I got my name on it already haha

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 03:56 PM
bwahahahahhahahah nice paintshop Barge. I also remember you paintshopped a Barge and Woks show poster too in a previous build diary maybe
Maybe Ads could give out a thread jacker of the year (TJOTY) award end of the year but think I got my name on it already haha

You've won bro, hands down dog!!

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 03:57 PM
haha think you're correct Barge we wouldn't need a forum vote on that one

pablopepper
23-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes! Wokka, you have a new avatar. Lol.

wokkaboy
23-07-2015, 04:14 PM
thanks for the idea Pabs, time for an update and cheers Barge for the paintshopping haha
PS to anyone who thinks I look like this I don't ! I'm missing the Billy Ray Cyrus hair and the chest/biceps !

@ Pabs you need an avatar bro ! Sure Barge can knock up one for you !

dingobass
23-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Nah I've got some of those. All good for drilling the body where you've got plenty of meat under the bottom of the hole but trying to make a hole for a 3 mm magnet in a 5mm control plate, the lead point in the bit would pierce right through. I like the router bit idea but I haven't got one the right diameter.

Simple workaround is to file the tip down, leave just enough to stop the bit wandering off. You only really need .5mm tip length.
Another good one is to use Forstner type bits, but getting them smaller than 5mm can be a challenge.

bargeloobs
23-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Simple workaround is to file the tip down, leave just enough to stop the bit wandering off. You only really need .5mm tip length.
Another good one is to use Forstner type bits, but getting them smaller than 5mm can be a challenge.

Yeah good idea, as long as you've got a decent guide hole or deep centre point the tip on the brad point is irrelevant, I might grind one down tomorrow and try it out.
Forstner bits was my first thought but as you say, small ones, I ain't got none:-(

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 03:16 PM
Did a bit more refining with the top today, it's about as close as I can get it in it's current state. Once I lay down some stain I'm sure I'll pick up more that needs doing but all in all it's looking nice.
Sealed the top up ready for final sand. The sealer really highlights the unusual quilt, it actually runs diagonal to the grain which is kinda crazy.

wokkaboy
24-07-2015, 03:23 PM
wow looks nice Barge, the pics on the left the archtop is a bit more obvious. Weird looking grain alright toward the bottom of the body.
Looks like the BAWS has cranked up once again

pablopepper
24-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Looking pretty tight man. You got your colours picked?

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Hehehe, it's looking that way Wokks, BAWSn' it up!!

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Looking pretty tight man. You got your colours picked?

Yeah. I really want to get looking like the LP in the top pic, a midnight blue/black burst kind of thing. Actually achieving it will be a whole other prospect:P
Then natural back and sides/neck. I love the idea of, ">insert colour here< top" type guitars.

wokkaboy
24-07-2015, 04:04 PM
should look sick as brew, can't wait to see some stain go down bruh

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 04:20 PM
should look sick as brew, can't wait to see some stain go down bruh
Should be choice as dawg!!

wokkaboy
24-07-2015, 04:29 PM
haha I'm learning new kiwi lungo every day dawg !

dingobass
24-07-2015, 04:34 PM
The figure is not so unusual.
As trees grow they twist as they track the sun each day, add to this the weight of the canopy compressing the trunk and you can get figuring like flames and then quilts.
Especially when it is a real big arsed tree :)

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 04:34 PM
haha I'm learning new kiwi lungo every day dawg !

Here have a look at this one, you'll learn heaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuLeQPEg5z4

bargeloobs
24-07-2015, 04:43 PM
The figure is not so unusual.
As trees grow they twist as they track the sun each day, add to this the weight of the canopy compressing the trunk and you can get figuring like flames and then quilts.
Especially when it is a real big arsed tree :)

I know very little regarding timber and the whole mechanics behind grain and figuring. That why it blows my mind when I see something different, Mother nature is definitely the winner when it comes to artwork.

dingobass
24-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Yhep. There isnt a day go by when I am not blown away by things trees do.

bargeloobs
26-07-2015, 08:19 AM
All the sanding done up to 400, and the rest of the holes drilled (jack, wire, neck screws). I used tattoo ink for the top colour, black for the burst and blue (yes the actual name of the ink was "blue") for the inside. it took a fair bit of mucking round but I finally got the burst to where I'm pretty happy with it.

bargeloobs
26-07-2015, 08:29 AM
Had a dribble of nitro clear in a can so I used that up to seal the top colour, mainly to stop residual ink getting on the bare timber. It's kind of given a glimpse into what's gonna happen once the real clear goes on. The colour is nothing like my original concept but I think I like it even more, it almost looks like the inside of a Paua shell in the right light.

wokkaboy
26-07-2015, 09:50 AM
nice one Barge that grain is really popping nicely. Love how the control cover is almost invisible !
So whats the back sides going to be natural colour ?
I enjoyed the jandal video bruh !

bargeloobs
26-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah natural back and sides. Yeah cool, so did you pick up some new lingo from that vid dawg?

Anyway, a bit more progress on the body, on with the faux binding.

crundes
26-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Looks awesome Barge!

stan
26-07-2015, 02:33 PM
this had moved along well. looking good too. Do you find the ink is quick and easy to apply?

robin
26-07-2015, 03:27 PM
The colour is nothing like my original concept but I think I like it even more, it almost looks like the inside of a Paua shell in the right light.

Looking good Nige.

I had the same thing happen with my blue Tele Cab. Nothing like the colour I was aiming for, but now I wouldn't change it even if I could. Embrace the uniquenessivity (hey, I invented a new word) of it and tell people you meant it. ;)

pablopepper
27-07-2015, 07:12 AM
That binding is tight. Good move.

andrewdosborne
27-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Seems I've missed a lot whilst being out of action. This is looking sensational Barge.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 09:03 AM
looking good Barge, so you must be ready for clear coats soon !

andrewdosborne
27-07-2015, 09:22 AM
Woks, your profile picture, hands down one of the funniest I have ever seen!

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 10:08 AM
haha cheers Andrew, I can thank Barge for the paintshopping !

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Looks awesome Barge!
Thanks man

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 03:32 PM
this had moved along well. looking good too. Do you find the ink is quick and easy to apply?
For me, the most impatient person on Earth ink's just perfect. I give it a little blast with the hairdryer and it's good to go in around 10 minutes. I just applied using cotton balls and found it really easy to work with and it seems to have a lot more translucence than stain so you can keep the vibrancy of the colour whilst letting the grain show through. It's real forgiving too, I had a couple of white over-sprays that made it onto the top which I knocked off with a bit off steel wool, but it took colour with it too. I just dabbed ink into the needed areas and worked in with a dry cotton ball and the patch ups blended seamlessly.
The only thing I would say is that it has a tendency to rub off on your fingers, even when dry so if you're not paying attention you could easily transfer ink to somewhere it's not supposed to be. I shot a layer of clear over top once I was happy with the burst just to seal it and eliminate that problem.

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Looking good Nige.

I had the same thing happen with my blue Tele Cab. Nothing like the colour I was aiming for, but now I wouldn't change it even if I could. Embrace the uniquenessivity (hey, I invented a new word) of it and tell people you meant it. ;)

Cheers Rob, yeah definitely a happy accident;-)

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 03:50 PM
That binding is tight. Good move.
Yeah I wasn't too sure after I'd done it but it's grown on me, should look good once the clear goes on and highlights the natural wood a bit more.
@Andrew,Wokks cheers guys.

kimball492
27-07-2015, 05:05 PM
Nige, looks bloody great. Well done . What's next on the agenda bro.Nice colour too

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Nige, looks bloody great. Well done . What's next on the agenda bro.Nice colour too

Cheers Kim. Next up, I'm just figuring out a headstock shape and I also planning on making a little jack plate out of wood.
If I had lacquer, that would be getting done too.

pablopepper
27-07-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah I wasn't too sure after I'd done it but it's grown on me, should look good once the clear goes on and highlights the natural wood a bit more.

With a different colour top, I think it's almost necessary to have that hard edge of binding to break it up.

Nitro again?

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Nitro again?

It's the only correct answer;-)

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Barge you can't get chucked in the naughty warehouse using nitro as DB has some in his cupboard

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Barge you can't get chucked in the naughty warehouse using nitro as DB has some in his cupboard

Is that right bro.
Ni Ni = DB approved:-)

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 06:42 PM
who knows next time I visit the DB man cave he may be building a Warlock or Iceman haha

bargeloobs
28-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Headstock shaped and drilled.

wokkaboy
28-07-2015, 04:15 PM
looks great dawg love the shape. So this was a blank paddle and you drilled the holes ?
Been doing any dry kayaking down hills today brah ?
Gee that top looks different colours different angles

bargeloobs
28-07-2015, 04:19 PM
looks great dawg love the shape. So this was a blank paddle and you drilled the holes ?
Been doing any dry kayaking down hills today brah ?

Yeah a blanky bro, there's only one person I can blame if the holes are in the wrong spot now:P

Nah no kayaking today Wokks, I'm going back in 5 weeks for my bro in laws 40th so who knows what could happen, might have to drag ol' pinky out and give her a run;-)

wokkaboy
28-07-2015, 04:21 PM
haha would love to see another kayak run brah. This time promise me to wear a gorpo camera so we can see the action first hand !

bargeloobs
28-07-2015, 04:25 PM
haha would love to see another kayak run brah. This time promise me to wear a gorpo camera so we can see the action first hand !

I was actually thinking about one of those the other day Wokks. I wanna get up the mountain and do some snowboarding while I'm there and a gopro would be just the best. Like you say, ideal for those downhill kayak runs too:-)

wokkaboy
28-07-2015, 04:27 PM
haha yeah great investment Barge, I've used gopro cameras for about 4 years and they are the ducks nuts.
Great investment for the big stacks hahah
You might need a helmet and full leathers if you attack the same hill (or some padding on the fence and remove the barbed wire)

dave.king1
28-07-2015, 05:49 PM
All my incar stuff is a GoPro HD ( first series HD ) with a wrist remote, I have a friend who is a highly credentialed professional photographer who uses a GoPro Black for stills taken from angles and time lapse that he can't reach with a full frame camera.

They really are a good thing but possibly a bit over priced

bargeloobs
31-07-2015, 06:10 AM
All my incar stuff is a GoPro HD ( first series HD ) with a wrist remote, I have a friend who is a highly credentialed professional photographer who uses a GoPro Black for stills taken from angles and time lapse that he can't reach with a full frame camera.

They really are a good thing but possibly a bit over priced

I was just looking at the price of the GoPro's (jaw drops), I couldn't justify owning one of those nowadays. Back in NZ where I had the ocean 15 mins away and the snow an hours drive I'd be using it all the time. Unfortunately the surf/snow is a sorely lacking in my sleepy little rural Australian town:-(
The only action round here is building guitars.

So until I can get some lacquer, the Tele build has come to a grinding halt so I took the opportunity to fashion a jack plate out of a scrap of silk wood. Could do with recessing the screw holes a bit more but otherwise it looks pretty cool.

dave.king1
31-07-2015, 07:37 AM
I was just looking at the price of the GoPro's (jaw drops), I couldn't justify owning one of those nowadays.

There are quite a few FauxPro cameras on the market, have a look in the Jaycar cattle dog for one option

stan
31-07-2015, 08:09 AM
on the gopro front, have a look at these;

Lily cam, throw it up and it follows you. they are about $600 though, but just awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg

as for the axe: Nige you are the king of detail, just love watching your builds come together.

wokkaboy
31-07-2015, 09:45 AM
jack plate looks very cool Barge, nice touch.
Yeah the gopro camera's aren't cheap but as DK says there are heaps of cheaper version HD cameras.
I'd hate to miss another Barge kayak hill run !
@ Stan that lily cam is amazing, how technology advances so quickly !

dave.king1
31-07-2015, 11:02 AM
I've also seen a commercially available tripod mounted motorised video camera that follows an armband with a transmitter in it so that surfers can video their own adventures from a beach view, I guess that the tracking feature would be similar to what the Lily uses

crundes
31-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Looking awesome Barge! The jack plate looks sweet as.

bargeloobs
03-08-2015, 03:17 PM
3 light coats of lacquer on the body.

crundes
03-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Looks awesome Barge! This is going to be a sweet build

gavinturner
03-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Another amazing build bargey! Can't wit to see this one all assembled.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
03-08-2015, 07:03 PM
looks choice ez Barge, that top looks like a paua shell. Is it the standard Behlen lacquer cuz ?

andrewdosborne
03-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Looks great, I'll have to give the old Behlen Nitro a spin on my next build (if it works over Wudtone)

bargeloobs
04-08-2015, 06:05 AM
Hey thanks Crundes, Gav, Wokka, Andrew.
Yeah just Behlen Clear Gloss Ni Ni Wokks. Hey Andrew, I was doing a bit of reading last night and it sounds like a few guys out there in guitar building land have used nitro over Wudtone with no ill effects.

Went over lightly with 400 wet & dry this morning and another coat of clear, looks nice.

pablopepper
04-08-2015, 07:11 AM
looks nice.

Understatement of the year. :P

stan
04-08-2015, 09:59 AM
the body looks awesome Nige, but those reeded necks you use suck....

Nice job bro, the details make it, and shiney always looks good. good work with the tatt ink

dingobass
04-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Yhep, you can use Nitro over wudtone. Just make sure you leave the wudtone to cure for at least a month beforehand.
Also scuff the finish with 400 grit before applying Nitro.

Now for the good news.
You can spray nitro over Dingotone!
Just apply the staincoat, let it cure for at least a week then scuff and spray away.
The important thing with nitro is to first give the Guitar a coat of Vynil sealer, then cut it back with 400 grit then apply the nitro.
I add a few drops of Fish Eye remover to each coat, this eliminates any annoying pin holes that may appear.

wokkaboy
04-08-2015, 11:15 PM
I never thought there would be a day when DB giving advice How to apply nitro over a stain coat!

keloooe
05-08-2015, 05:43 AM
I never thought there would be a day when DB giving advice How to apply nitro over a stain coat!

It was probably the Bunnings selfie that changed him.....

wokkaboy
05-08-2015, 07:09 AM
It was probably the Bunnings selfie that changed him.....
Haha think you are onto something there Pest. Next thing I'll get my naughty warehouse sentence lowered from 3 x life to less than life! Also naughty oil will be acceptable on mosrite builds haha

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Since I'm getting a real paua shell vibe from the finish on this axe, and I'm pulling the frets off anyway I decided to replace the mother of toilet seat dots with paua ones.
So in my search for new dots I stumbled upon this PRS, and chuckled...heartily. Only $170 postage though!!! *BARGAIN*BARGAIN*BARGAIN*BARGAIN*BARGAIN*BARGAIN
Maybe I'm missing something, but to me it just seems ridiculous.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRS-Private-Stock-513-3373-Quilt-Top-Madagascar-Rosewood-Neck-Blue-Green-/231447081121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e35230a1

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 08:31 AM
it is a stunning axe Barge but $17k, think they are dreaming. Would love to get that quilt finish on the cap. See the covers on the back the grain has been matched pretty well.
Good call on the paua shell dot markers that will really compliment the top colour.
Why are you removing the frets ? I've changed dot markers with the frets in place

kimball492
06-08-2015, 08:35 AM
I was dissapointed to see they don't offer a matched pair of the PRS guitars I don't want them now. Did you order it Nige lol

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I was dissapointed to see they don't offer a matched pair of the PRS guitars I don't want them now. Did you order it Nige lol

I was thinking about putting in a cheeky lowball offer:-)

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
do it Barge, offer to just pay the $170 postage hahah

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 08:44 AM
do it Barge, offer to just pay the $170 postage hahah

That seems fair:-)

dingobass
06-08-2015, 08:48 AM
Yep. Go for it :)

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 08:51 AM
I've discussed this elsewhere. PRS Private Stock guitars are one of a kind, master built guitars pretty much catering to collectors only. Top of the line everything, best of the best. Do they represent value for money? Hell no. But, they are unique and very exclusive.

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 08:55 AM
I've discussed this elsewhere. PRS Private Stock guitars are one of a kind, master built guitars pretty much catering to collectors only. Top of the line everything, best of the best. Do they represent value for money? Hell no. But, they are unique and very exclusive.

You know what bro, if I had money coming out my a-hole I'd probably buy that guitar, just because I could. But I just can't see $17,000 worth of guitar there, but hey, I'm no expert either.
I bet you could get someone like DB to build a fair close replica for a fraction of that price.

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Really? I wouldn't touch one. Chances are, I'd put a ding in it in about 2 minutes. :P I don't see why a 59 Les Paul is worth $100k either. To me guitars are tools. Damn sexy tools, but tools none the less.

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Really? I wouldn't touch one. Chances are, I'd put a ding in it in about 2 minutes. :P I don't see why a 59 Les Paul is worth $100k either. To me guitars are tools. Damn sexy tools, but tools none the less.

Orr hell yeah man, I'd own it in a hearbeat. Like I was just saying to Kimball, there's people in the world that are lucky enough to have unlimited cash and this is the sort of thing they buy. If I had unlimited cash I'd blow it on ridiculously overpriced guitars too, just because I could.
And it would be all dinged up within a week too:P

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Fair enough, if we're talking unlimited funds then sign me up for this bad boy.

https://www.prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/img/1663b.jpg

;)

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 09:22 AM
holy carp that's a dead sexy PRS Pabs, well worthy entrant in the beautiful axe thread
Pabs are you trying to join the thread jacking squad ? LOL

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 09:27 AM
It's already there, mate. I put that sucker up about a year ago. Probably the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen.

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 09:30 AM
Pabs are you trying to join the thread jacking squad ? LOL

Just trying to fit in... :P

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Fair enough, if we're talking unlimited funds then sign me up for this bad boy.

https://www.prsguitars.com/privatestock/gallery/img/1663b.jpg

;)

Yep I'll take one of those too please...

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 09:36 AM
haha Pabs if you keep thread jacking and on Barge's thread you know he's gonna make you a new avatar hahaha

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM
if there's a new PBG position it should be avatar paintshop guru (APG)

that's your new position Barge in the company.

Don't think Ads has budgeted much money for it hahah

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 10:01 AM
bwhahahha nice one Barge
@ Pabs welcome to the TJS squad. You got to keep up with the thread jacking to keep your badge/avatar !

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Holy crap, I just lost it. XD

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks for accurately representing my physique, btw!

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 10:10 AM
haha nice one Pabs you are fitting in well in the TJS already !
you must work out 3 hours at least every day Pabs ?

stan
06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
he is yet to catch up on your threadjacking workouts though Wokka...

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Looks like I don't have to give up the cakes after all. Today is a good day.

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 10:33 AM
New studies just out show cake to be a vegetable.

I knew it! Looks like my dreams of becoming a vegetarian are one step closer. Now to work on bacon being reclassified as a vegetable.

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
haha nice score Barge on the cup cakes.
@ Stan yes it takes alot of practice to get to my thread jacking levels haha

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 11:11 AM
haha nice one Barge on Rambo's body !

better not have too many cup cakes bro otherwise a few more hours in the gym !

pablopepper
06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Check it out, the missus just whipped up a batch of lemon cup cakes. I'm literally getting my fruit AND veges.

Gotta get those 5 serves a day...

kimball492
06-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Nige try this say the postage is outrageous on that guitar will you do it free lol

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Nige try this say the postage is outrageous on that guitar will you do it free lol

If I'm paying 17k for a guitar, not only do I want free postage, I want a brass band too.

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 12:30 PM
haha yeah Barge, and hope they throw in a free set of steak knives

kimball492
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah but you'll want to play lead solo in front of the band too lol

stan
06-08-2015, 02:22 PM
you do know that vegetables are what food eats....

bargeloobs
06-08-2015, 03:07 PM
you do know that vegetables are what food eats....

Haha yeah you got that right Stan.

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 03:10 PM
gee thats keen Barge an hour workout.
Oh well enjoy your beers, Coopers green no doubt

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 03:42 PM
sounds good Barge
you must have at least the last 2 pages of this thread not talking about anything to do with guitars but thats what TJS are all about !

keloooe
06-08-2015, 03:58 PM
About the photo of Barge.... It's called RamBarge!

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 04:15 PM
hey Pest you finally made a contribution bro to the thread jacking squad, good work bro

dingobass
06-08-2015, 04:26 PM
If I'm paying 17k for a guitar, not only do I want free postage, I want a brass band too.

For that kind of money I want it delivered by Paul Reed Smith in person!

dingobass
06-08-2015, 04:27 PM
This thread can well and truly consider itself "jacked"

Isnt there an old Acca Dacca song that fits ?

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 04:29 PM
haha give us some time DB we will find an Acca Dacca song that will be about the thread being jacked

'The Jack' may work off the TNT album. Seems to be a popular album to doctor the lyrics !

dingobass
06-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Thats the one I was thinking of....

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 04:47 PM
yeah instead of 'she's got the jack' we could say 'the forum's been jacked'

another simple song 12 bar blues in key of E

GeneralKaos
06-08-2015, 05:37 PM
By the way, boys, bacon is a condiment. Put that s**t on everything!

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Barge, spot on with that! Must knock up a bacon sandwich now whilst I'm at it.

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 07:15 PM
yeah Andrew hopefully a bacon sandwich minus what Barge described !
Was your new avatar posted on the forum or did he email it to you Andrew ?

Is it your head on CHIPS dude ?

Can you please post a full size pic so we can see it in detail ?

the TJS is getting quite large already !

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Its a Chips dude! Got bored whilst watching the cricket (currently 9/54). Working on another Avatar now for fun! (too cold in my workshop to guitar build..)

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Its a Chips dude! Got bored whilst watching the cricket (currently 9/54). Working on another Avatar now for fun! (too cold in my workshop to guitar build..)

So I suppose its the Californian Thread Jacking Squad!

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 07:40 PM
haha good work Andrew, and good excuse to paintshop instead of watching the 4th test, Australia out for 60 runs must be an all time low record !
Sure Barge will be watching the crucket brah ?
Broad 8/15 wow must be his best bowling figures

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Disaster. Time to grab a beer and bacon sandwich before I bed down for the afternoon session!

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM
yeah disgusting effort Australian batsmen. Like the new avatar Andrew but the CHIPS one is more personal !

There is 6000 posts for me. Only 4000 posts off the next status name !

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 08:00 PM
yeah disgusting effort Australian batsmen. Like the new avatar Andrew but the CHIPS one is more personal !

Congrats, awesome posting effort! 'Chips' in being updated....I haven't played with photoshop for years

andrewdosborne
06-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Or, Chups as in Fush and Chups

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keloooe
06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Or, Chups as in Fush and Chups

Bloody hell Andrew now I'm hungry and I've just gotten comfortable in bed :(

wokkaboy
06-08-2015, 09:04 PM
Haha good one Andrew, fush n chups is Barge talk

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 04:58 AM
Haha good one Andrew, fush n chups is Barge talk

It's getting pretty fresh & original up in here...

andrewdosborne
07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
That's how I looked last night after the first batting session!

GeneralKaos
07-08-2015, 08:11 AM
Please bring me bacon, Number One.

GeneralKaos
07-08-2015, 08:12 AM
And a beer.

BenWA
07-08-2015, 08:30 AM
great work thread jacking squad, but i wanna see some more hot quilted tele action!

pablopepper
07-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Please bring me bacon, Number One.

https://baconation1.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/picard_bacon_toupe1.jpg

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Well the ol' thread's definitely progressed the last couple of days:P... anyway back to some guitar related stuff.

I'd picked up an assorted pack of "Micro Mesh" off Ebay a while back after reading about it in a Stew Mac brochure. I'm not sure if many other people on here are using it but this was my first experience.
What an absolutely wicked product for finishing. I just cut into 35mm squares and used just like wet and dry paper only this stuff will last me for years
If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it for cutting back a finish.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-Mesh-Soft-Touch-pads-3-x4-/181826195609?hash=item2a55af9099

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 11:06 AM
So starting at 400-1200 wet and dry paper then moving onto the Micro Mesh working my way up to 12,000 this is what I ended up with. This is just fine sanded and wiped with a dry towel, no polish of any sort yet. Should get a real nice luster once I hit it with some Maguires.

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 11:11 AM
that micro mesh looks the biz Barge, thanks for the tups bro, might order a set. Up to 12000 grut now thats super fine
What can I say Barge, you seem to attract thread jackers in your threads !
wow that shine is wucked Barge and still no polish !

good work bruh

pablopepper
07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Far out. That's pretty cool. I've heard about peeps sanding up to 12000 etc, but never knew quite how, seeing as the highest grit paper I can find is 2000. Hang on, you're up to polishing already?

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Here's a couple more, time to go and put some polish on and see what happens.

Fretworn
07-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Dammit Bargey, your missus could almost do her hair and makeup with the reflection off that thing.

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Hang on, you're up to polishing already?

That's the power of Ni Ni bro:-) Started clear coats on Monday.
I'll just say right now, there's absolutely no way you'd get way with this if you were lacquering over paint. As soon as you go too thick with nitro it can (and will) rip the paint right off the wood on the count of how quickly it dries. It's only because the ink is such a stable base that I could get away with this. I'm not advocating whizzing through a finish this quickly and there's no way this finish is cured. It just shows what's possible.

pablopepper
07-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Impressive. Gotta get me some nitro.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/1/5/1115_photo.jpg

No, not that kind!

andrewdosborne
07-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Barge, looks absolutely sensational. You can really see all the woody goodness going on in the top. I think I'm sold on nitro!

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Sounds like Pabs and Andrew are keen to join the DB Nitro allstars band !
I got to order some of this stuff as well.
Just ordered the micro mesh pads Barge, you should sell used cars bro hahah

andrewdosborne
07-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I'll play the synth - after exposure to nitro I'll probably end up looking like Mr. Lowe (below right) from the Pet Shop Boys.

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Dammit Bargey, your missus could almost do her hair and makeup with the reflection off that thing.

And this is after a quick once over with some Maguires, shinier still:-)

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 12:16 PM
wow Barge that looks glassy ez brew.
I'm just about over 10 coats of tru oil taking 2-4 weeks when you can have clear coats finished and polished in 4 days !

dingobass
07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Well the ol' thread's definitely progressed the last couple of days:P... anyway back to some guitar related stuff.

I'd picked up an assorted pack of "Micro Mesh" off Ebay a while back after reading about it in a Stew Mac brochure. I'm not sure if many other people on here are using it but this was my first experience.
What an absolutely wicked product for finishing. I just cut into 35mm squares and used just like wet and dry paper only this stuff will last me for years
If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it for cutting back a finish.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Micro-Mesh-Soft-Touch-pads-3-x4-/181826195609?hash=item2a55af9099

Yep, it is good stuff.
If you want to get it locally (as in Oz) go to www.thesandpaperman.com

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Sounds like Pabs and Andrew are keen to join the DB Nitro allstars band !
I got to order some of this stuff as well.
Just ordered the micro mesh pads Barge, you should sell used cars bro hahah

Just wait until you try those pads out Wokks, you'll thank me bro, they're freakin' awesome.
I mean the proofs in the pudding as far as nitro goes, it's up to the individual whether or not they want to use it.
Just to reiterate, you DO need to take your time with nitro, otherwise it WILL misbehave. I realize I'm not exactly practicing what I preach but I've used it enough now to know what I can get away with.

Here's a couple more as well as a hardware dry run...

dingobass
07-08-2015, 12:34 PM
After at least 21 days curing, hit it again...
You may need to wear sunnies because the reflected light from a 40 watt light bulb will burn your eyes out.........

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 12:44 PM
After at least 21 days curing, hit it again...
You may need to wear sunnies because the reflected light from a 40 watt light bulb will burn your eyes out.........

Yeah roger that, by the time I've finished the neck/headstock plus I'm away to NZ for 3 weeks it's going to be close to 2 months sitting anyway, then (like you say) I'll go back and hit it again.

I'm de-fretting the neck so I can get the ebony finished a bit more as well as replacing the dots. A refret, then I want to try my hand at a paua shell inlay on the headstock, which will be a first so as you can see, she's got plenty of time to sit and cure.

dingobass
07-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Nice!

This what you can expect.
Final polish done with Behlen Deluxing Compound and BAM!

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Nice!

This what you can expect.
Final polish done with Behlen Deluxing Compound and BAM!
Damn!! If I can get even within the ballpark of that I'll be a happy camper:-)

dingobass
07-08-2015, 01:03 PM
It is well worth investing in the Behlen cutting and Deluxing compounds.
I reckon the tins will last me for the next twenty odd builds.

wokkaboy
07-08-2015, 01:05 PM
nice tips there from the DB Nitro all stars !

what's the next banned product you will be giving advice on DB ?

That neck looks insane, is that for the lefty Explorer ?

dingobass
07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
nice tips there from the DB Nitro all stars !

what's the next banned product you will be giving advice on DB ?

That neck looks insane, is that for the lefty Explorer ?

It wont be TO, thats for sure....

Yep, thats the Nephew's cakky hander Exy.. Just about ready to throw it together now..

bargeloobs
07-08-2015, 01:29 PM
It wont be TO, thats for sure....

Yep, thats the Nephew's cakky hander Exy.. Just about ready to throw it together now..

C'mon DB, let's see the rest of it...