PDA

View Full Version : Earth Problem on TL-1

aridas
14-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I have just finished my build and it played well for a few hours and then a mad earth/hum problem.
Goes away when you hold the lead into the jack but now unplayable.
Have attached some pics to show the soldering and wiring etc.
Should the bridge pickup only have one wire going into it? The other end of that twin goes to the selector switch and is earthed on volume pot.
All ideas most welcome
Cheers, Rob....

pablopepper
14-07-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm a little suss of the ground solders from the pickups, try heating that up again and adding a bit more solder. Are your cavities shielded? That always helps.

pablopepper
14-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Hang on, your jack is wired backwards. Swap the two wires around and you should be sweet.

WeirdBits
14-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Spot on Pabs with both posts, dubious pickup ground connection on the back of the pot and reversed hot and ground on the output jack. Also, make sure your bridge ground wire is making good contact under the bridge plate.

pablopepper
14-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Alright! Backed up by the guru. I must be getting better at this stuff!

aridas
14-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Hang on, your jack is wired backwards. Swap the two wires around and you should be sweet.

Couldn't believe something that simple, cheers....

pablopepper
14-07-2015, 07:33 PM
So it works now? That's a really nice looking tele from what we can see. Are you gonna enter it in the guitar of the month comp? I would love to see some more pics.

Brendan
14-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Rob - hopefully that's fixed the issue - great to see that the forum has come through again!

aridas
15-07-2015, 09:56 AM
So it works now? That's a really nice looking tele from what we can see. Are you gonna enter it in the guitar of the month comp? I would love to see some more pics.

I think I might, thanks again for the quick assistance....