PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a Sydney n00b

brywithawhy
13-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Hello all :)

Somehow I've committed myself to building a custom guitar. It started off as a prop for an Adventure Time costume party but I thought whilst I'm at it I might as well make it real.

My downfall is I've never played a guitar, nor know anything about them. I am good, however, with a CNC router. Apologies if I don't have the lingo right.

I'm currently designing a replica Marceline Axe bass from the Adventure Time cartoon. Attached is a 3D model. As it's simple to "push go" and make the parts I'm going to start off with just AA grade Marine Ply for the body and some laminated hardwood for the neck. If it sounds like rubbish I'll machine some parts out of something better.

Wish me luck :)

Arzi
13-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi

Welcome. Interesting to see what your " Adventure axe" is gonna be like. :)

Bass Guy
13-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Welcome aboard, brywithawhy! Nice to have a new person with interesting ideas!

Love the idea of the Marceline Axe- and so would my two boys!- and I think your idea for material choices is sound as it will act as a good template before using harder woods.

There's lots of help on this forum, and everyone is very friendly so don't be afraid to ask any questions- the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Cheers,

El the Bass Guy.

wokkaboy
13-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Welcome Bry, interesting project you have planned, use of a CNC machine should make it much easier, once this one is built maybe can use some nice tonewoods on the next version.
Start a build diary under other Pitbull guitars thread and looking forward to how it progresses

stan
13-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Welcome Bry, sounds like a fun project, lucky to have a CNC!

bargeloobs
13-07-2015, 03:48 PM
Welcome Bry, sounds like a fun project, lucky to have a CNC!
Yes, lucky for us;-) Welcome along Bry

stan
13-07-2015, 05:07 PM
True, large load of wood coming your way Bry, and instructions

brywithawhy
14-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome :)

Will definitely start a build diary amongst other posts. I've already got loads of questions!

gavinturner
14-07-2015, 07:26 AM
hey Bry, welcome to the pitbull crew! Great to have another builder in the sydney area. Your project is a great one - something I've thought about quite a few times. Once you get the CNC up and running you may well get a few orders ;).

cheers,
Gav.