PDA

View Full Version : How About Building A Little Monitor Speaker To Help In Mixing Your Tracks

kimball492
12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Auratone Monitors were used in approx 70 % of recording studios worldwide. Not because of their fidelity or hi-fi sound
but when mixing the monitors would give you a really good midrange, a blend of the spectrum of sounds in the recording, hopefully that would translate to a mix that would sound great on headphones, Hi-fi, radio etc. Auratone are just about to re-release the Auratones yet again. I saw this project thought I'd have a go and maybe share with the guys here. I've included the MDF cut sheet and link to the speakers the guy that originally did these used on the build. http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/V-1053-WS13E/WS+13+E+-+8+Ohm. Plus other notes the builder made as he went along. I believe the original build was by Adrian Bruce. So thanks go to Adrian http://youtu.be/Ijd3piuYRAM. Turn down your speakers when watching video DIY Auratone, the Auraclone

We have designed a single Auratone speaker, the Auraclone. It is constructed from MDF using simple hand tools, and has the same volume and panel rigidity as the originals. There are various options for the 5" speaker, such as the VISATON WS 13E - 8OHM

DIY Auratone clone mono speaker
Here are the files for building your own. Click the small images to get the larger files.

Auratone clone construction This is a single page PDF of the panels that need to be cut from 9mm MDF. Beware the thickness of the board impacts the panel sizes, and that may need to be compensated for. The internal volume is the important constant if you change anything. The original Auratone was constructed from half inch chipboard, a less dense material.

Auratone clone construction We just used a hand saw. You can also get a hardware store to cut the material for you. Cutting the speaker hole with a jigsaw is faster than drilling lots of smaller holes. The hole has to suite the driver you select. You also need some 10 x 10 mm wood for internal braces and white wood glue. Rubber bands hold it all together while the glue sets. You can see this is all just glued together to make a very rigid structure. You can paint and finish it as you like. A Pro Tip: using a small sponge paint roller can give a better finish than a paint brush.

Auratone clone construction You will need some speaker lining material, screws, wire and speaker connectors to finish the unit. In Australia, Jaycar is the source. All panel are glued together, so the only access to the unit is through the speaker hole, and so the speaker must mount from the outside. Raven sticky backed 9mm foam door and window seal was put around the back of the speaker frame edge to make an airtight seal against the speaker box.

The Auraclone is connected to just the left speaker of the speaker selector, and the switching to mono is handled by our monitor controller.