PDA

View Full Version : A sanding-less guitar

Rabbitz
11-07-2015, 04:46 PM
I just finished watching "Blood and Thunder" a doco about Albert's Studios.

One of the clips they showed brought back memories of a very special guitar.

DB would hate it. Sanding would be out of the question!

Actually I have no idea how you would "finish" it, except it would take a ton of cut'n'polish.

It was Ted Mulry Gang's "Jump in My Car". The axe was Les Hall's (I think). The body was clear perspex.

After seeing it again - I want one!!!!

pablopepper
11-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Ooh, a Dan Armstrong. One of my favourite looking guitars.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/XUmofj76ibSM4gv-B-LUTwZ7MTsfZng_q4C9cL3EydgIWvNrMg5cuFXiiDG-LkhuNd-1lnvXKb-YGDaOmehbzfR1NgyAPQ-zHGUlthLcla1X1qETdaSmf4nQiBDVw7c8miFJ_HwIFpzWxVPgn d4=w537-h274-nc
A friend of mine owned a Greco copy, heaviest guitar I've ever picked up.

Unfortunately, I reckon there would be a lot more sanding involved. Clear perspex gets a rough white edge when you cut or carve it (unless you use a laser or a high end CNC) which needs to be sanded to a very high grit before buffing or flame polishing.

dave.king1
11-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I had a couple of Dan Armstrong amps back in the day, incredible tone machines but a bit fragile for gigging due to the unsupported length of the turret & PC boards

Never bonded with their guitars though

30W on the left and 100W on the right

Rabbitz
12-07-2015, 06:04 AM
Ooh, a Dan Armstrong. One of my favourite looking guitars.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/XUmofj76ibSM4gv-B-LUTwZ7MTsfZng_q4C9cL3EydgIWvNrMg5cuFXiiDG-LkhuNd-1lnvXKb-YGDaOmehbzfR1NgyAPQ-zHGUlthLcla1X1qETdaSmf4nQiBDVw7c8miFJ_HwIFpzWxVPgn d4=w537-h274-nc
A friend of mine owned a Greco copy, heaviest guitar I've ever picked up.

Unfortunately, I reckon there would be a lot more sanding involved. Clear perspex gets a rough white edge when you cut or carve it (unless you use a laser or a high end CNC) which needs to be sanded to a very high grit before buffing or flame polishing.

Why not just do a lost wax cast of the thing and polish it out?

pablopepper
12-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Because casting acrylic without bubbles is incredibly difficult. When it's cast in sheets at the factory it is squeezed between
large sheets of tempered glass. I guarantee you they were carved from a block in much the same way as a wooden guitar.

Rabbitz
12-07-2015, 07:11 AM
I will bow to your superior knowledge - given I've never worked with Lucite or perspex. :)

I suppose I'll also refrain from tongue in cheek comments in the future.

pablopepper
12-07-2015, 07:17 AM
Oh don't do that! Haha.

bargeloobs
12-07-2015, 07:46 AM
We had one of these sitting in the local music shop (before they closed down). I think it's quite literally the ugliest guitar I've ever seen irl.

wokkaboy
12-07-2015, 08:02 AM
I could see DB hanging a clear perspex Warlock in his collection haha
I don't mind this axe Barge I'd love one in my collection

bargeloobs
12-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I don't mind this axe Barge I'd love one in my collection

Well there's a project for ya Wokks. Just start the diary in the "ugly guitar thread"

keloooe
12-07-2015, 08:46 AM
I'd take a clear perspex axe, depending on the shape of course! Yeah as Pabs said, the perspex will go white and milky once you carve it, but when sanded to the really high grits it looks absolutely stunning!

dingobass
12-07-2015, 01:05 PM
Have had a play of a Ampeg Lucite body Bass.
This beastie screamed funk.
She had a tone perfect for playing Funky Slap Blues/ Psychedelic grooves.
If I could play Funky Slap Blues/ Psychedelic grooves I would have bought it.

The guy only wanted $100 for it.....

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Have had a play of a Ampeg Lucite body Bass.
This beastie screamed funk.
She had a tone perfect for playing Funky Slap Blues/ Psychedelic grooves.
If I could play Funky Slap Blues/ Psychedelic grooves I would have bought it.

The guy only wanted $100 for it.....

Best not have a look at current fleabay prices then http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/weeping.gif

dingobass
12-07-2015, 04:39 PM
I know :(
Nuff said.

dave.king1
12-07-2015, 05:12 PM
I know :(
Nuff said.

Before getting the PBH-4 kit I went hunting for an L Series PBass on fleabay sort of thinking I might go there again http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/yikes.gif