The Art Of Lutherie
Home
Lutherie Courses
Tips & Tutorials
Books
About
Contact

Free Lutherie Course: Guitar Physics, Design, & Guitar Set-Up

In this free online guitar building and setup course we will be taking an in depth look at not only how to properly adjust and even design certain elements of your guitar, but we will also be studying guitar physics to understand why we are taking these steps and procedures to better equip you in your own work.

If you have been feeling a little lost when trying to adjust your guitar, or maybe you even want to understand how you guitar works, and how to improve the guitars you build or play; then this is the course for you

Also take a look at the course outline for topics of study
IN THIS COURSE YOU WILL LEARN:
Guitar Physics - How the guitar works as a complete system
Guitar Setup - How to apply physics concepts to obtain the perfect setup
Tone Optimization - How to get the best tone and playability from your guitar
Guitar Design - How to apply physics concepts for optimum guitar design fundamentals
TAKE THE COURSE!
See What The Students Are Saying:

Guitar care and maintenance video course is building the basis and paving the way to my guitar build project. All topics discussed are alerts to avoid mistakes and do the right thing the first time. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in guitars, luthiers, or musicians.
Daniel Soares , São Paulo, Brasil

I learned quite a few things (I'm social security age and have been around guitars for over 40 years) and I'm an engineer (electrical). I always loved physics and now love it even more!
Buz R.

Your Instructor For This Course:

Tom Bills

Tom Bills has been hand crafting one of a kind custom acoustic, classical, and archtop guitars since 1998. Tom's guitars are considered to be among the best instruments ever made by collectors and players world wide. He has written for many online and print publications including his book, "The Creation of the Natura Elite Archtop Guitar" which is currently available in print or for free download on his website. www.tbguitars.com

Course Outline

Guitar Care And Maintenance 101
2h 24m
Introduction 1m 59s
Session 1: Guitar Physics & Geometry 1h 15m
Intro To Session 1 3m 40s
Guitar Physics:Strings 5m 44s
Guitar Physics:Bridge & Top 7m 49s
Main Components Intro 1m 59s
Scale Length 7m 54s
The Guitar Bridge 15m 01s
The Nut & Saddle 11m 08s
Neck Geometry 11m 39s
Effective Problem Solving 9m 06s
Session 2: Guitar Set-Up 1h 09m
Intro To Session 2 1m 18s
Measuring & Data Collection 12m 56s
Neck Relief & Bridge Height 6m 34s
Neck Design & Fretwork 14m 12s
Setting Action Part 1 10m 29s
Setting Action Part 2 10m 58s
Final Intonation 12m 03s
Conclusion 1m 10s
Closing Remarks 1m 10s

In this video, Tom uses the first guitar he ever made to demonstrate and explain the tonal and other effects that can be controlled and influenced by the relationship of the neck relief and bridge height of the guitar.

I'm not a math-head or physics guy, but your discussion on how the bridge works was just perfect for me. I'm really enjoying the heck out of this course!
Steph Otis , St.Louis, MO

About the Author

Tom
Tom Bills has been hand crafting one of a kind custom guitars for the top players and collectors around the world since 1998. Tom is also the author of the guitar making book/DVD set - The Art Of Lutherie - published by Mel Bay, and has written for and been featured in may publications both in print and online as well as several television and film spots. You can view and learn more about his guitars by visiting his website: tbguitars.com