PDA

View Full Version : P90 les paul

crundes
10-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Did there used to be a p90 version of the LP-1/1M? I thought i remembered seeing one ages ago.

Would love to do a gold top or black top LP for my next build. It may just be best to ask Adam for a special order but thought I would see if anyone else would be keen for these to be available.

bargeloobs
10-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Man, I reckon I've looked at every axe in the gallery on this forum and don't recall ever seeing an LP setup for direct mount soapbars. If you're going a solid top (as suggested) I guess you could always fill the pup cavity to the correct size. There's no reason that Adam couldn't custom order one, but at the end of the day it's a simple case of pay more money or put in a bit of extra time and effort, I know which I'd choose.

stan
10-07-2015, 07:05 PM
painted body? Easy - fill and re rout

Or order non routed body - easier to send you one of those than a P90 rout I think

crundes
10-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Ah I hadn't thought of just adding a shim to fit the pup. I thought I would have to fill the whole cavity and rout a new one, which would mean buying a router and bits. Thanks for the idea barge!

crundes
10-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Stan: Unfortunately don't have the funds for a router (uni student). I tend to just hint strongly around christmas and birthdays that a guitar kit is the way to go. Maybe I should start hinting at a router...

bargeloobs
10-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Ah I hadn't thought of just adding a shim to fit the pup. I thought I would have to fill the whole cavity and rout a new one, which would mean buying a router and bits. Thanks for the idea barge!

Go and do it man, build that blacktop in the pic. That would be one sick axe!!!

crundes
10-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Or do you think a dremel router would do the job if I pre drilled most of it and made a template?

bargeloobs
10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Having never used a Dremmel router I couldn't comment, I don't think I've ever seen someone routing pup cavities with one.

crundes
10-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Fair call barge. I might just be best off adding and shaping a shim to fit the pups as you suggessted. Cheers for the idea! Now I've just gotta get the kit...

WeirdBits
10-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Gavin's Gold Top replica (http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3101&p=60249&viewfull=1#post60249) may give you some inspiration, although not a PBG kit.

(P90 cavities on page 2)

crundes
10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Gav T?! Haha my current build is inspired by his seafoam tele. He'll think I'm copying all his kits!

crundes
10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
Is the thread just in Non-pitbull gear?

keloooe
11-07-2015, 08:05 AM
crundes you could get a standard LP-1M and buy some Tonerider Rebel 90's, they are P90 pickups in a humbucker form factor!

crundes
11-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Cheers for the idea pest (can I call you that? Seems to be the done thing). I did think about some humbucker casings for the P90's but I really like the look of them too. Certainly a good option if I feel unsure about filling the cavity to P90 size.

stan
12-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I think pup cavities , even drilled out, would be hard work for a dremmel. They are great and spin fast, but dont have heaps of torque.

I think if you look around on the interweb you can also get humbucker sized pup rings with P90 holes in them - but you would still have to take a little out of the ends of the cavities

gavinturner
14-07-2015, 07:06 AM
No not me dude, the Gav with a clue! :). But yes I would like a p90 LP option as well. Would love to do a gold top myself. I've extended P90 cavities to HB before but not a conversion the other way around. getting them pre-routed from the factory is the cleanest solution IMO.

cheers,
Gav.

crundes
15-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Ha ha Gav you're too modest! From what I can tell you definitely have a clue what you're doing unless you just fluked every single one of your lovely builds... Re: P90's I think you may be right with ordering a custom routed one. Will have to see what extra costs are involved etc and weigh up which option will suit my skill level, available tools and budget.