PDA

View Full Version : Quilted Maple Help in Mackay QLD

adam
08-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Anyone in or near Mackay QLD who might be able to assist a customer who sanded off a section of quilted maple on his ES-2V kit?

Our customer Jethro sanded through the thin veneer and is understandably very disappointed. Unfortunately, we don't keep spare bodies to replace this one. I'm sure it can be repaired (patched) by someone who knows what they're doing.

Is there someone in the Mackay area willing to lend assistance?

vh2580
08-07-2015, 09:06 PM
Im in Mackay Adam - havent attempted anything like that before. to patch maybe timbermate (or other suggestions) and possibly cover up with a black style burst maybe. Could only assist this week /weekend as away for the following few weeks.

jetsy85
14-07-2015, 04:33 PM
Hi Tony,
It is my guitar in Mackay with the problem. I like your idea of going a black style burst, but I would appreciate some advice on how to achieve this?
I assume the guitar would have to be stained first to the desired burst colour (I was thinking green) and then the black edges would need to be sprayed on (with an aerosol?). Would you then seal the whole thing off with a clear coat? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track and not sure what products/brands would be best to use. Are there any places in Mackay that stock the right sort of stuff or do you purchase everything online?

stan
14-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Hi jetsy, your basic ideas about how to do a burst are pretty much right.
First the damage would be filled using timbermate or similar (from hardware store)
The main body colour would be done first. Some people highlight the grain with a darker shade, like black, first then sand it back.
Next the colour. A stain, dye, ink, several methods have been used.
Then the black burst on the edges is next - black acrylic spray paint, dye, ink, dingotone are popular choices here. The difficult part is blending it in and getting a "soft" transition between the black and the colour.
Last is a clear coat, and like before the choices are varied: dingotone, acrylic spray paint, epoxies, tru oil (a gun stock oil), shellac and others are used...

jetsy85
14-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your feedback Stan! Are there any issues with a spray paint sticking to a surface that has been previously stained/dyed? I imagine paint would be necessary to hide the timbermate repair. Would it just be a case of making sure the stain has lots of time to cure before painting?

vh2580
29-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Hi jetsy85 sorry mate for not responding OS at the moment. If you haven't had a crack at this yet I'm back in Mackay mid next week send us a pm and can catch up for a look if you want.

stan
29-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback Stan! Are there any issues with a spray paint sticking to a surface that has been previously stained/dyed? I imagine paint would be necessary to hide the timbermate repair. Would it just be a case of making sure the stain has lots of time to cure before painting?

you have it right mate. Most stain on timber seems to be fine with paint over the top. paint over timbermate goes well

Nickosaurus
29-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Timbermate tends to shrink from my experience so just be wary

wokkaboy
29-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi Jethro, just caught up with this thread, looks like you may have been using an orbital sander to sand through such a large area.
Where about's on the body is the damage ? If its on the bottom edge a trapeze bridge hinge could possibly hide this.
It will be hard to repair with a veneer that will match.
If it can't be hidden then I think your plan sounds the best. Choose a dark timbermate colour and you may be able to stain the burst. Otherwise paint the burst edges and green stain on the inside of the burst.
We've seen this problem happen quite often. Could be good to put a warning in capped kits for new builders that the caps are very thin and easy to sand through