PDA

View Full Version : August 2015 Guitar of the Month

adam
05-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Enter your finished guitar here to be judged for Pit Bull Guitars August 2015 Guitar of the Month.

Please remember:

One guitar per member per month
It must be a Pit Bull Guitars kit (mods and upgrades acceptable)

We need 4 photos:

full guitar shot from the front;
close up of the body finish;
shot of the back of the guitar; and
close up of the headstock (please, no brand name logos)

Please post your photos in this thread. If you are having issues posting photos on the forum, please email them to adam (at) pitbullguitars (dot) com

Please note: This competition is open to amateur guitar builders only. If you are making and selling guitars for profit, you are ineligible.

Competition for August closes 31 July 2015.

Winner will be judged by the Pit Bull Guitars Judging Panel, including the winner of the July GOTM.

aridas
16-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Here are some pics of my entry.
It's a standard kit with no mods.
Thought it would look good with the Outback Sunset Dingotone with the black against it.
A few wiring issues as i put it together but now all fixed and it plays really well, lightweight and it has a good action.
I really enjoyed putting it together and as it was my first build I took my time and reckon the finish is great.
Now to start on the SG...
Cheers,
Rob...

pablopepper
16-07-2015, 03:37 PM
That is hot. The black hardware works incredibly well with the colour you have chosen. Is the neck pickup black as well?

aridas
16-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes it's all black hardware, great when you have a vision and it turns out ok :D

pablopepper
16-07-2015, 03:42 PM
That's cool. Thumbs up, man. Top effort.

wokkaboy
16-07-2015, 03:42 PM
sweet looking Tele Rob, well done on the colour choice and the black hardware works really well. You need to enter it in the August Guitar of the month thread.
Were the pics taken from inside a caravan ?
SG for your next build a great choice

Arzi
16-07-2015, 03:46 PM
Cool looking axe there Rob! Beautiful colours.

bargeloobs
16-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Wow, that is nice!!

stan
16-07-2015, 05:53 PM
the all black hardware was a great choice Rob

andrewdosborne
16-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Great job, looks awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fretworn
17-07-2015, 06:18 AM
The TL-1 looks great Aridas. Is that one of those bizarre travel guitars hanging on the wall?

Swinging Beef
23-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Were the pics taken from inside a caravan ?

Great looking guitar! Lovely colours

My vote is that the pics are from inside a converted bus. ;)

Jeff Sheridan
25-07-2015, 07:18 AM
The AlohaMatic
Here is my build of a Gr-1sf in flat black with satin finish. Stock parts except one balance pot and shielded wire, with WierdBits custom wiring schematic: pickup selector, master tone, pickup balance pot, and master volume. It plays great and is almost as loud as a regular acoustic guitar. Thankfully the wiring is perfectly quiet with no hum. My one finish complaint was not having the exact shade of off white to match the binding (mine is slightly more white as seen on the truss rod cover) but overall it was the guitar I set out to make. Thanks to the forum for advice and encouragement!
Aloha, Jeff

wokkaboy
25-07-2015, 10:26 AM
nice one Jeff you really finished this build nicely. Well done with the setup and wiring as well ! Very strong contender for sure

zeromick
25-07-2015, 12:18 PM
dude! that GR-1sf is stunning, give that man the medal right now!

WeirdBits
25-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Very nice! Great result Jeff, it screams 'play me'.

Rozza68
25-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Hello, this is my first post and entry into the GOTM. I have been building this strat in between beers on Friday nights with the boys at 4D Guitars ! Thanks Wokkaboy and Wayne. Its a standard kit with Tarkine Green stain. Ive gone for a relic worn look inspired by Francis Rossi from Status Quo who has a 50's telecaster with a strat pick up configuration. It also features Francis Rossi's trademark hole drilled straight thru the body ( which he apparently did back in the day to help prevent his guitar lead from pulling out of the jack) The boys at 4D have got me hooked into this guitar building thing and im on my second build but have lost track of the beers !

wokkaboy
25-07-2015, 11:21 PM
well done Rozza for a first build you really excelled and learnt so much. Was good fun guiding you through the build. You got the most out of the kit. Many more great builds to come from you no doubt

gavinturner
26-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Looks great Rozza! That tarkine green looks awesome with the black in the grain. Love the headstock shape too. Well done!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
26-07-2015, 12:01 PM
This is my entry STA-1M tobacco burst. Finished this build March 2014 but haven't had a chance to enter it. It looks a bit similar to GOTM July 2014 but this one has a maple neck.
Gold hardware upgrade and the standard camphor veneer on the headstock. Stained in FW jarrah and Dingotone Outback Sunset.
Was going to enter the Tarkine green STA-1 but didn't want two green strats entered !

wokkaboy
26-07-2015, 12:04 PM
here's headstock and back photos. Back of the neck was also stained in outback sunset

Arzi
26-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Wow! A really beautiful piece Wokka!

Like all of this months entries - amazing... Love Jeff's gr-1sf!

andrewdosborne
27-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Great entries everyone!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

stan
27-07-2015, 04:11 PM
wow, awesome axes this month

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 04:25 PM
The AlohaMatic
Here is my build of a Gr-1sf in flat black with satin finish. Stock parts except one balance pot and shielded wire, with WierdBits custom wiring schematic: pickup selector, master tone, pickup balance pot, and master volume. It plays great and is almost as loud as a regular acoustic guitar. Thankfully the wiring is perfectly quiet with no hum. My one finish complaint was not having the exact shade of off white to match the binding (mine is slightly more white as seen on the truss rod cover) but overall it was the guitar I set out to make. Thanks to the forum for advice and encouragement!
Aloha, Jeff

That's butter right there Jeff, well done man, beautiful work.

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 04:26 PM
That burst is just perfect Wokks, what a stunner!!

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 04:29 PM
cheers Barge and Arzi. Taken me 15 months to enter it !

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 04:43 PM
cheers Barge and Arzi. Taken me 15 months to enter it !

I guess when you're building 25 guitars a month it happens, hey you got there in the end bro!!

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 04:44 PM
bwhahahha thats it Barge !

Arzi
27-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Took me 15 years to have the courage to start the first one... :)

wokkaboy
27-07-2015, 04:57 PM
thats ok Arzi, bet you are glad you started building axes !

bargeloobs
27-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Hello, this is my first post and entry into the GOTM. I have been building this strat in between beers on Friday nights with the boys at 4D Guitars ! Thanks Wokkaboy and Wayne. Its a standard kit with Tarkine Green stain. Ive gone for a relic worn look inspired by Francis Rossi from Status Quo who has a 50's telecaster with a strat pick up configuration. It also features Francis Rossi's trademark hole drilled straight thru the body ( which he apparently did back in the day to help prevent his guitar lead from pulling out of the jack) The boys at 4D have got me hooked into this guitar building thing and im on my second build but have lost track of the beers !
The black/green combo looks sweet and I especially like that headstock shape, wicked job Rozza!

ihasmario
31-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Dang, I'm ready to submit but I forgot to borrow a nice camera from work.

Next month it is, I guess... :(

Daveyson
02-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Fantastic entries from everyone, very nice set of axes and looks like a lot of effort went into them.
Well done!

adam
08-08-2015, 05:15 PM
The results are in...

Thanks again to our judges, especially first-time judge Daveyson.

Here's the comments from the judges, in submission order:

Aridas' TL-1

"Love the classic, simple look. Fantastic build!"
"The vision has certainly come together on this TL great result for a first time build, hard to fault really."
"This to me just oozes what a TL should look like. I'm a big fan of the colour and I love the added black hardware . The grain is subtle and brought to life beautifully and enhanced with the black hardware, nice job you nailed it."
"Aridas the blacked-out hardware package you chose makes this guitar extremely sleek. The finish looks like it has been applied well however I feel that a bit of patchiness could’ve been touched up. Dig this build. "
"Good choice of colour goes well with the black hardware."
"Loving the natural finish. Black hardware looks great too. (What happened to the neck pickup screws? We say this often as judges, claim your Headstock!"

Jeff's GR-1SF

"Oh man - just love the stealthy lines on this one! Looking absolutely stunning!"
"I love the look of this beast, a really nice rockabilly axe, I just want to pick it up and play it! The matte black finish, customisation and chrome hardware give this guitar the thumbs up from me."
"A nice job done on the finish, I would be lying if I was to say that Black Satin would be my personal choice for this style guitar but you have executed the finish beautifully, Kind of puts a metal look to a Rock n Roller."
"Jeff, your build diary was great to follow and the matt black finish you have absolutely nailed. Ratrod GR-1SF is something I can definitely get behind. I bet she sounds sweet."
"Well built, nice finish. Looks great."
"Gotta love a 'Silver falcon' . Really nicely finished in black and white. The black satin really suits it. Thank you for claiming the headstock and for the info on it being as loud as an acoustic! "

Rozza's ST-1

"Nicely done. Some great character in the build - great to see some real personality in the build."
"some beautiful effects on the body of this guitar and a well finished neck with unique headstock, very nice indeed."
"A great effort to bring some original extra's to a great guitar. The hole for your lead actually makes a lot of sense and well we all love a green guitar, Great original head stock shape too. Remember to set up your intonation up before you enter (we judges see all)."
"Rozza, great looking ST-1, however the black spot beneath the jack has got me intrigued – was that intentional or a knot? Either way it looks like a great feature. The Tarkine Green Dingotone has come up extremely well and gives the body a really earthy tone – reminds me of moss. I really dig the semi-gloss you’ve built too. Really like this build."
"Looks well built."
"Yes, you can see the Rossi in this but also the 4D influence (or maybe it's the beers) Very interesting headstock of course. Looking forward to seeing your next one. A very good first build."

Wokka's STA-1

"Wokks - you keep rolling these out - they look great - you are the king of the burst!"
"I love the black and gold over the awesome sunburst finish, a stunning looking guitar with great attention to detail."
"I am a huge fan your burst finishes Wokk's which I why I zoom in really close to try and spot faults. Problem is you have now had so much practice that faults are hard to find. The Gold goes well with this colour burst and yet again you have done yourself proud."
"Wokka, a more subtle satin finish from you is great to see. I love the use of black pickup covers/knobs to give it an understated look. The signature veneered stock looks very nice too. Glad you went with a maple neck on this axe – the contrast between the darker tones on the body is great."
"Nice work looks fab."
"This looks really good Woks, amazed you managed to keep it hidden so long. A really awesome tobacco burst and should come with the warning that this guitar could give you gas. One of the nicest headstock veneers too."

And the winner is...

Congratulations Jefff, your GR-1SF in Matt Black was the judge's pick for Guitar of the Month August 2015.

A well deserved win in a small but top quality pack.

One of the "questions" to the judges is, "which guitar would you be drawn to in a guitar store?". Personally speaking, there's no chance I could go past this guitar without picking it up for a closer look and play. It screams "PLAY ME!"

Well done Jeff.

wokkaboy
08-08-2015, 05:31 PM
congratulations Jeff, thought your entry would win. Well done the other entrants were very nice builds.
Also well done all judges

keloooe
08-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Congrats Jeff! Smaller pack this month but still ripper builds! Personally I'd walk home with ANY GOTM axe now that the bar is even higher!

stan
08-08-2015, 07:54 PM
as usual, they are all great, but Jeff, I have to agree, that's a stunner

KurtSlash123
09-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Congrats jeef it was a beautiful one!

Jeff Sheridan
09-08-2015, 12:16 PM
wow after a long day at the soccer park with the kids this was great to come home to! I was worried about entering the Alohamatic since the standard is really high, plus the guitars entered this month all looked really tight. building my guitar was the biggest eye opener into the world of guitar of which I am super grateful and probably wouldn't have made the attempt without all the available advice on the forum; can we give an award for the best guitar community out there to all the pitbull builders? Im glad to build (and think I benefited) from building a relatively new model in the pitbull catalog, the Gr1-sf model seems to lend itself to playing a bit of a different style than I am used to, that coupled with playing something I had a part in creating makes it a really fun guitar! I also got a call from a former bandmate (Still friends!) and we are headed out to a punk rock show for old times so its turning out to be a great day! Thanks again, Adam, Judges, and fellow builders, Aloha, Jeff

crundes
09-08-2015, 03:48 PM
A well deserved win Jeff. Congrats! Was a great line up this month as always!

andrewdosborne
09-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Nice one Jeff, well done and all other entrants for high quality builds

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

WeirdBits
09-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Congrats Jeff, an excellent build and deserved winner. Well done to all entrants, particularly the first builds, quality one and all.

pablopepper
09-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Congrats, Jeff.

Swinging Beef
10-08-2015, 09:29 AM
great choice!

vh2580
10-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Smashing build Jeff, well deserved. Fantastic other entries also.

Fretworn
10-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Congrats Jeff!