PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on Neck Screw - What size

cbyrne11
01-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Hey Guys,

Bolted my neck on yesterday and it's sitting pretty, nice and flat but I noticed that I had sheared one of the bolts when tightening it up (think I hadn't drilled far enough into the body), decided that it would be better to replace this in case I had to take it off at any point, so off I went to bunnings and got what I thought was the right screws. I think the dimensions were 8g 50mm.

Anyway came home and bolted the neck that on using these, they went through the holes in the body very easily without needing to use a screwdrive and tightened up into the neck screws pretty perfectly. But now I'm worrying that since they are not screwed through the body of the guitar the connection won't be as strong as if they were, could someone tell me what the right screw to use is?

Looking at a few luthier sites they say #8 1 3/4" which I thought was roughly the same.

Do you think I need to take these out as the neck is sitting pretty albeit without strings tighented yet?

Thanks
colin

wokkaboy
01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Hi Colin,
could you please post a photo ?
I doubt Bunnings have the correct screw type, they are countersunk and have a dome top. I'm not 100% of the size of them but you can order a set of correct neck screws through ebay or realparts http://www.realparts.com.au/screws-and-springs/neck-plate-screws.html
The important thing is the neck screws bite into the neck heel.
Its not important they don't bite into the body neck pocket as the screw heads are held by the neck plate.'
What model guitar/bass are we talking about please?

cbyrne11
02-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Its a tl1-ar, I don't have pictures with me. The screw's fit into the next plate better than the ones that came with it. As far as I know there countersunk, and are for wood.

It seems OK, but will provable order some proper ones just in case and replace them when they arrive.

Now to sort out this grounding issue!!

Thanks
Colin

wokkaboy
02-07-2015, 11:24 AM
ah ok Colin no worries. Good chance the Bunnings screw have a flat top, they won't look as nice as the proper domed top neck screws.
Have you run an earth wire from the bridge back to the control cavity and soldered to the back of the volume pot ?
There's a small hole under the bridge where the earth wire makes contact with the bridge, run that through the bridge pup cavity and through to the control cavity

dingobass
02-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Flick me an email with your address and I will send you a set of proper screws.
dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

cbyrne11
02-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Cheers Adam, that's grwat, will do thanks.

The grounding problem is to do with the volume not turning completely off, I don't think I wired the lug to the back of the pot properly so volume isn't completely turning off, was too tired to fix it when I discovered it last night.

wokkaboy
02-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Colin,
you mean thanks Dingobass ?

have another look at your wiring and let us know if you still have problems. There's a chance the volume pot is dodgy if it doesn't go to zero volume.
Make sure you got the output jack wires correct - this can cause an ugly sound

dingobass
02-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Colin,
you mean thanks Dingobass ?

have another look at your wiring and let us know if you still have problems. There's a chance the volume pot is dodgy if it doesn't go to zero volume.
Make sure you got the output jack wires correct - this can cause an ugly sound

You can call me whatever you like, just dont call me late for a beer :)

cbyrne11
02-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Sorry didn't read that properly, thanks dingobass.

already experienced the noise an incorrectly wired jack makes, took a while before I figured that out.

All sorted on the wiring problem the third lug wasn't soldered to the back of the volume pot properly. I'll pm you now thanks.