PDA

View Full Version : The search for a material that can be used when you need a really fine shim

kimball492
29-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Ive got a guitar I built . It's one of those that when you play it .its just sounds amazing but playing it action wise
it feels like a pig. I tried plastic shims, wooden shims ,card .Nothing seemed to work as it was just a smallish amount
And never liked that the above never gave me a tight joint. I just wanted my strings to touch the last fret with bridge in lowest position.
Then my good lady suggested that copper stuff on your bench ( clever bugger ) it is brilliant you can add layers it's easy to cut and shape If you need more near bridge end just put more at that point. Great for bolted necks . Not sure the glue would stick to it on a set neck,maybe it would. I just Love the way it compacts sits between the join and gives me such fine control . The other is because it's so thin you can put slightly more on the treble side to bring the neck into that just perfect height. So I have to say thankyou to The Mrs. One other thing if you guys have used it before , why did you keep it a secret lol. Hope it helps

dingobass
29-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Nice one Kimball :)

I usually use photocopy paper soaked with thin superglue, but I will give this a go next time.

wokkaboy
29-06-2015, 04:08 PM
great idea KB,
Pablo found out with his EX-1 build that shielding on a set neck does not bond well !
I'll give it a go next bolt on neck I need to shim

Rabbitz
29-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Shim sheeting?

Copper, steel, stainless etc

Usually in grades like 0.1, 0.55, 0.7, 1.0, 1.2 (etc) mm.

stan
29-06-2015, 04:55 PM
copper tape and sheeting fine for bolt on necks, and DB's idea would work for set necks I think.

Another for set necks would be to put a piece of timber in a vice and with a sharp plane, take a fine slice off the top edge. Use this fine planed off timber for your shim.