PDA

View Full Version : Play It Loud - The story of the Marshall amplifier

pablopepper
29-06-2015, 12:14 PM
If you've got a spare hour, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HPN39gMcQ
Bloody good doco on the beginnings of a rock icon.

stan
29-06-2015, 04:57 PM
great Pabs, watched a bit, will have to finish it

dave.king1
29-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Watched & enjoyed, thanks for the link

Bought back memories of the mighty Super Lead 200 that my guitarist Jeff Barnes had, he had an LP Recording straight in and what an enormous sound it had

stan
30-06-2015, 07:18 AM
In heaps of those rig rundown type articles you read there is an large amount of gear behind some guys. I one read a top 100 rigs type article. Players and their massive pedalboards were listed down to the components just about, very cool.
The best rig was owned by Angus Young.
It said: Gibon SG, Marshall Amp.

wokkaboy
30-06-2015, 01:16 PM
interesting video cheers Pablo, good to see how it all started

pablopepper
30-06-2015, 01:19 PM
The best rig was owned by Angus Young.
It said: Gibon SG, Marshall Amp.

Gotta appreciate the simple things. I love how Angus gets his tone; plug in, turn everything to 10, done.

wokkaboy
30-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I heard Angus doesn't use that much gain surprisingly.He gets his sound from being such a good player

pablopepper
30-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Yeah, that's what i meant, clean channel, pure volume.

wokkaboy
30-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Angus uses some gain I'm pretty sure, around 3 to 5 out of 10. He wouldn't get much crunch from a clean channel without a FX pedal

gavinturner
30-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Awesome doco. Thanks Pabs!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
30-06-2015, 06:58 PM
"It turned out that one of the contributors to Fil's SoloDallas blog had come across an old interview in Guitar Player with Angus. Asked what special effects he used, Angus answered, 'I don't use any… I only use a Schaffer Vega wireless.' That got Fil and his contributors to speculate, 'Why would anybody use a wireless in the studio when he is only a few feet away from the amp?'

Angus says, no effects... at least in the Back in Black era

here is the whole thing:
http://www.guitarplayer.com/effects/1018/the-secret-of-angus-youngs-classic-acdc-guitar-sound/48728

DrNomis_44
21-09-2015, 03:20 AM
Great documentary, I watched it and couldn't believe my ears when I heard what the prototype Marshall amp sounded like, Marshall got the sound right first time, I've been really getting into the Marshall sound lately.

Rabbitz
02-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Well bought myself a Marshall yesterday.

Ok it isn't a flash head and wall of cabinets but it does have the Marshall logo.

A little 10w practise amp. $98 from JB Hi-Fi.

Does the job in the lounge room. Also has Phones Out so Mrs Rabz complains less about my crappy playing :)

My only complaint is the volume control only goes to 10. :cool:

Rabbitz
02-10-2015, 06:31 AM
"It turned out that one of the contributors to Fil's SoloDallas blog had come across an old interview in Guitar Player with Angus. Asked what special effects he used, Angus answered, 'I don't use any… I only use a Schaffer Vega wireless.' That got Fil and his contributors to speculate, 'Why would anybody use a wireless in the studio when he is only a few feet away from the amp?'

Angus says, no effects... at least in the Back in Black era

here is the whole thing:
http://www.guitarplayer.com/effects/1018/the-secret-of-angus-youngs-classic-acdc-guitar-sound/48728

Saw a doco recently "Blood and Thunder" about Albert's.

To answer your why wireless question, apparently Angus jumped around and spun on the floor - the whole stage act thing in the studio. It is just what he does.

Fretworn
02-10-2015, 11:03 AM
I read Angus saying that too. He originally started the constant moving all the time in the early days because he was up there in a school uniform and people used to throw things at him. But after playing like that for so long, he reckons he can't play while standing or sitting still anymore.

Fretworn
02-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Also when my sister was a Sydney TAFE in the late 70's there were teachers there who remembered Angus and said he carried his guitar with him everywhere and played it all the time, even in class. There were also still desks he had carved his name into.