PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to convert a guitar kit to a bass?

wikid of Oz
28-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I haven't even recieved my first kit yet and I am already thinking about my next one. I love the look of the TL-1TB kit and I was wondering if it could be built as a bass? Would the neck pocket require major mods? I figured the pickup cavities would require enlarging and neck, bridge and other hardware would need to be swapped. Would it sound like crap?

Arzi
28-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi

I've been thinking about the same thing. I like the tops on guitars that are not available on basses.

Tindrrel
28-06-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm not an expert, but this is my rough understanding of it from what I've gathered in my short time playing bass.

The fret spacing is different on a bass. The standard or "long scale" bass is 34" from nut to bridge. That defines the spacing of the frets. A short scale bass is around 30-32".

For example a telecaster is 25.5" so the fret spacing would be entirely different even if you had room to place the bridge further back on the body to make a short scale 30".

If you kept the frets as is, and tried to make an extra short scale bass of 25.5" then the problem is the shorter the scale the lower the string tension. Bass strings might not even tune to concert pitch at that scale (not sure), they would probably just flap around too loose.

So, if the body is long enough for 30-32" "short" scale distance from nut to bridge placement, then the frets would need to be repositioned so they have the correct distances - ie: so the 12" fret is halfway and so on.

Arzi
28-06-2015, 11:49 PM
Hi

My thoughts were to replace the neck for a bass neck but it might be better to custom order a body and if got the skills - make the cavities and neck pocket yourself. I don't know yet if I have the guts to try that though...

Arzi

Arzi
28-06-2015, 11:50 PM
And yes the body needs to be long enough for the scale

wikid of Oz
29-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys. That is just the sort of answer I need Tindrrel. I didn't even think of scale lengths. Maybe one day when I am good enough I could try for a scratch build television thinline bass.

pablopepper
29-06-2015, 06:07 AM
http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/News/2005/M_pusa1.jpg

pablopepper
29-06-2015, 06:11 AM
Because scale length works the same for guitar and bass, it would work out without moving the bridge you would just end up with a very short scale. Presidents of the United States of America did it (see pic above), but if you want four strings, you'll need to strengthen the neck to account for the extra tension.

stan
29-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Hi

I've been thinking about the same thing. I like the tops on guitars that are not available on basses.

you could always have a local woodshop run the body through a thicknesser, take of the top 5-10mm and add a figured cap.
if you do a thick cap you could round the edges to blend it in, if a veneer, then sand to blend and do a dark burst on the outer edges to blend it with colour/paint.
Do the neck and pup routs first and you are good to go