PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Amp

Rabbitz
23-06-2015, 04:58 PM
I am looking for a pre-amp like solution.

As I am is the foreseeable future actually going to have a guitar I can plug in I am looking at finding a reasonably linear guitar pre-amp.

Why? I hear you ask.

Well to preserve domestic bliss I figure I can thrash away with my chicken like scratching without offending the sensibilities of my good wife if I was to make use of the little mixer I have as a headphone amp.

Now while I will get some sound out by plugging directly into the desk, it is/will be on the edge of usefulness.

While the passive DI I have will clean up the sound, it will have a -3dB penalty (or thereabouts).

So is there a reasonably priced linear pre-amp in existence?

I know I could/should plump for an active DI however the little Behringer desk's phantom power is not the full 48v.

So an externally powered DI might also fit.

Ideas oh Guru's of the Axe?

stan
23-06-2015, 05:06 PM
what about something like the Orange Micro terror?
20W, valve pre amp, transistors after that... they are about $200

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/orange-micro-terror-454695.jpg

Then later you can put it through a 2x12 cab!

dave.king1
23-06-2015, 05:12 PM
I use a little Fender Mustang 1 with or without headphones, depends if I have the run of the house or not

Rabbitz
23-06-2015, 06:08 PM
I do like the idea of a valve amp.

It seems Turramurra Music stock them, I might have a squint.

The Mustang 1 looks interesting, what does the Fender FUSE software actually do?

(Why does everything have to have USB ports?)

kimball492
23-06-2015, 06:33 PM
If you want something small the yamahas are pretty darn good and you can use as Hifii amp also to plug your phone and MP3 player in your wife will love it . They are also an audio interface for recording but doesn't need to be connected to use as an amp . I have one and it has presets for bass guitar and acoustics http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup.mits
Great for Practice https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rojSxWMoZcA I'd say the Orange is more suitable for the odd small gig and band practice, but great for in house travel etc

dave.king1
23-06-2015, 06:37 PM
The Mustang 1 looks interesting, what does the Fender FUSE software actually do?

(Why does everything have to have USB ports?)

The Fuse software allows you to modify the preloaded presets and also download patch presets that others on the forum have created for a certain song/sound.

You could have adjacent presets for David Gilmour and Kenny Vaughan ( look him up ) for example and perhaps a Dave Groll alongside again by modifying the characteristics of the amp simulations and add and remove VSTs from the virtual chain.

Not to mention firmware upgrades to the amp

I have also put an isolation jack in the back panel so I can plug into the quad box, speaker load for the Mustang 1 must never go below 8 ohms.

Before anyone asks, I don't have any affiliation with Fender I'm a retired telecommunications network / solutions designer

Nickosaurus
23-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Can recommend blackstar id core too. Great little practice amps

keloooe
23-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Before anyone asks, I don't have any affiliation with Fender I'm a retired telecommunications network / solutions designer

So..... Are you affiliated with Fender? Sorry I had to ask... *giggle*
I like the Mustang series, the V head rocks out like a beast, but for portability and affordability, I'd grab the Mustang I.

GeneralKaos
24-06-2015, 06:55 AM
iRig.......

DrNomis_44
24-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Have you considered buying something like Korg's Pandora PX5D?, most modern Guitar FX processors offer an output that can drive headphones so you will be able to play guitar and not cause any noise in your house.