PDA

View Full Version : Scratchie planning...

Nickosaurus
21-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Hey guys,

Planning to take the dive soon and attempt my first scratchie once I find some consistent work. I'm planning just a pine build as my first to get to grips and not have such a high failure cost. Planning to do a veneer on top too.

As far as tools to complete the build this is what I was thinking:

Router
Jigsaw
Clamps
Drill press

The only thing that worries me is planing the body wood down (will be 3/4 piece) after gluing together. Any advice there?

Also any tools that I'm missing? I will probably buy the neck on this first one but plan to build necks in the future.

keloooe
21-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Try to find someone who has a drum sander and it will be much easier, if not you can just go with a hand plane and also get an orbital sander to flatten it all out, I did that on a table I built last year and the planing is only needed for areas that arent properly inline with the rest of the pieces. For tools I can't think of anything that is necessary, but DB should help on that side of things.

bargeloobs
22-06-2015, 05:16 AM
Hey guys,

Planning to take the dive soon and attempt my first scratchie once I find some consistent work. I'm planning just a pine build as my first to get to grips and not have such a high failure cost. Planning to do a veneer on top too.

As far as tools to complete the build this is what I was thinking:

Router
Jigsaw
Clamps
Drill press

The only thing that worries me is planing the body wood down (will be 3/4 piece) after gluing together. Any advice there?

Also any tools that I'm missing? I will probably buy the neck on this first one but plan to build necks in the future.

If you're planning to go out and buy yourself a drill press, just take note of the "swing", this is the distance from the centre of the chuck to the inner edge of the column x2. From memory the area from the centre of the chuck to the column is the "throat". Most of the 13mm (chuck size) drill press's available will only have a swing of around 209 mm which means a throat distance of half that. You simply won't be able to reach the centre of a body to bore out pup cavity's. Just something to bear in mind.
Also if you haven't got any a set of good Forstner bits is invaluable.
Not sure if you've got any router bits but an inverted flush cut bit will be needed (12.7mm) for pup cavities. These have the bearing at the top which follows your template.
Then you're going to need templates, I'd be giving Pab's a holla.

There's probably plenty of other hand tools you could add to the list but I'd say this stuff's pretty essential.

kimball492
22-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Yeah your right Nige I bought my drill press I can't get at centre parts of body . So it's pretty useless . A lesson learned.

This. video may help,regarding required tools

http://youtu.be/nI4Rg8Nu4qc

This isn't about tools but saw at same time thought you guys might like idea ,using magnets to hold your control panels on guitars.
I've mentioned this before but here's video
http://youtu.be/plcnkReIfag

stan
22-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Good luck Nicko, will be interested to see how this goes