PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guy , Does anyone recognise this bridge.

kimball492
21-06-2015, 12:17 PM
Any one know what this is it looks like a Schaller bit can't find it on there page .its a beaut just wanted one for next project
Thanks
Kimball

keloooe
21-06-2015, 12:34 PM
I.... Have never seen that before..... It is actually quite cool!

Nickosaurus
21-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Looks space aged

keloooe
21-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Now I want to build a LP just so I can have one of those....

dingobass
21-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Brendan discovered this bridge on an Erlewine Lazer Guitar...

kimball492
21-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Yeah anything that makes tuning and intonation easier has gotta be good looks nice too

Thanks Stan much appreciated

Kimball

stan
21-06-2015, 06:35 PM
looks similar to the Schaller 456, or something Steinberger would make

stan
21-06-2015, 06:45 PM
http://www.edroman.com/guitars/misc-images/lazerguitar-01.jpg

Erlewine Lazer uses a Wine o Matic tuning bridge - headless guitar.

here is some info from: http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com.au/2010/10/electric-travel-guitars.html

This is a cut and paste from that site:

The Lazer

I have often seen Johnny Winter photographed with an odd-looking guitar known as the Lazer guitar, which is created in the Steinberger style. Erlewine guitars also manufacture the Lazer.

As with the Chiquita, it too was originally made by Hondo guitars of Japan through the mid 1980’s, but currently manufactured and available through Erlewine Guitars.

The Lazer that Winters plays is a Hondo model.

What makes this guitar unique is that it has a full size neck with 24 frets. The body size, shape and bridge mounted tuners contribute to making this a travel size instrument. The locking tuners are oversized with thumbscrew mechanisms at the distal end and it is known as a Wine-O-Matic bridge.

Regular ball end strings can be used and locked into place on both ends to maintain tonality. The neck travels through the body for added sustain. The rosewood fretboard has white mother of pearl star position markers.

This instrument is longer than the Chiquita, but still less than a meter being only 31 inches from the top to bottom. The scale is 25.5 inches, which is similar to a Stratocaster. This guitar has a single coil pickup in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position. There are only two controls; one for volume and one for pickup selection. It weighs in at around six pounds.

Hondo discontinued both the Chiquita and the Lazer in 1985.

They can be found on eBay and through personal ads for between $250-300.

Erlewine Guitars continues to sell high quality hand-made versions of the Lazer and the Chiquita, but they are quite expensive, clocking in at over $600.

kimball492
23-06-2015, 12:41 AM
Yeah sadly I contacted Mark At Erlewine guitars they only supply the bridges attached to the guitars .
Shame thanks anyway guys
Kimball

D Bader
20-06-2016, 09:30 PM
Kimball492, That bridge was made by Schaller but is no longer available by them. It is the Wine-o-matic but Schaller knows it as the Jerry Freed bridge. That picture you posted is one of mine.

kimball492
20-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Looks great D Bader love that bridge

gabeshedd
25-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Any one know what this is it looks like a Schaller bit can't find it on there page .its a beaut just wanted one for next project
Thanks
Kimball

I sometimes acquire random guitar parts for resale and came into one of these today... I have a similar but different problem. I was able to locate the part and identify it, mostly thanks to this thread. heh. But I have no idea what to price it at... it seems to be one of those things that will come on an existing guitar but can't find any for sale on their own.

It's pretty gorgeous.

Any ideas on a fair price to ask?

To be clear, I'm not soliciting ... not trying to sell it to you guys ... I'm honestly just at a loss.

Simon Barden
26-08-2017, 12:33 AM
Hi and welcome.

Is it just the bridge or does it come with a headstock piece similar to the Erlewine Lazer(sic) guitar? It's obviously a bridge+tuner mechanism, so unless someone is looking to replace one that's gone faulty on a Lazer or Hondo. it really needs to be paired with a suitable headstock string clamp device (or a double ball-end string holder) for someone making a headless guitar. Both the current Lazer II and the old Hondos seem to be selling at (or at least priced at) reasonably high figures, but it's a case of the whole being worth a lot more than the sum of the parts.

Buyers would be rare, and as they are still making the Lazer, I assume that Erlewine guitars could still supply a replacement bridge if one ever went faulty.

Unless you picked it up for free, then you'd certainly want to recoup any money you spent on it. You could always price it on the high side but be open to offers. It would probably be more interesting to a pro or semi-pro luthier who wants to make a headless guitar and knows of a suitable headstock piece.

So I'd price it at something around a lower-end original Floyd Rose bridge, say $200, but be prepared to take a lot less if it didn't sell. A luthier type forum with a sales page would probably be the best place to gain interest for it, but I'd first try and find some matching 'headstockless' hardware to suggest that it could be paired with.

gabeshedd
26-08-2017, 01:49 AM
So I'd price it at something around a lower-end original Floyd Rose bridge, say $200, but be prepared to take a lot less if it didn't sell. A luthier type forum with a sales page would probably be the best place to gain interest for it, but I'd first try and find some matching 'headstockless' hardware to suggest that it could be paired with.

Hi Simon, thanks for the advice. It's just the bridge ... and honestly, sometimes what I get in is so random there's no real rhyme or reason to it. I buy large lots and it's sort of luck of the draw. This just happened to be in there and like the guy who started the thread, I'd never seen anything like it. I think I'll try to market it, as you suggested, to luthiers looking to build their own guitars as anyone with an existing one would just go to the manufacturer.

ANYWAY.

Again, thanks for the advice.