kimball492
17-06-2015, 08:02 AM
http://www.sixgunguitars.com/fret_bending_jig.html

stan
17-06-2015, 10:52 AM
cool jig and pretty basic

wokkaboy
17-06-2015, 12:08 PM
cheers Kimball, I'm going to make one of these, looks pretty easy and should have all the materials at home !
great side project !
Why pay over $160 plus postage for a Stewmac one !
http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Fretting/Pullers_nippers_sizing/FretBender.html?pref_currency=F

kimball492
17-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Have fun Wokka im building one too

wokkaboy
17-06-2015, 08:05 PM
yeah ok KB, sounds good, please report how its going on this thread.
I hope to start Friday or Saturday

keloooe
17-06-2015, 08:57 PM
I might as well join the bandwagon and build one too...

wokkaboy
18-06-2015, 03:23 PM
I drew up what I interpreted the dimensions on CAD in metric, sorry the image is small, we really need to make this maximum file size to upload bigger than 97kb !
The tutorial doesn't say how big the wheels are so I've made them diameter 40mm. They say minimum 1.5 inches which is 38mm.
I'll have to see what hole saw sizes I have.
I've made the winder wheel (wheel with handle mounted to it) wider so the handle doesn't clash with the 2 fret bending wheels.
Might need another washer or nut so there's no clash. Closer it sits to the mounting board less the play will be.
I hope to make a start Friday so I'll keep you posted if these dimensions work.
The mounting board can be much smaller, but as long as its long enough to place in the vice and the handle can freely spin.
Also the wheel and board widths are nominal, see what scrap ply wood or pine you have lying around the workshop.

dingobass
18-06-2015, 05:02 PM
No reason why this wont work on Nickle fretwire but I can see it exploding if you tried to run Stainless fretwire through it...

dave.king1
18-06-2015, 05:49 PM
We don't need a bigger file size to upload, just a proper way to link from a hosting site like photobucket.

That way the resized pic is displayed in the post and the full size on the hosting site when the pic is clicked, all of the other forums I am on work in this manner.

Would give much better resolution for build of the month as well.

dave.king1
18-06-2015, 05:54 PM
No reason why this wont work on Nickle fretwire but I can see it exploding if you tried to run Stainless fretwire through it...

I've done 25x25x1.6 mild steel RHS mild steel run through similar dies and 20x1.2 round mild steel when building the car, so the bits just need to be sized in suitable material so I don't see a major problem.

Similar dies are used to bend windscreen surround in U section aluminium for the type of car in my avatar, I don't have a screen because it adds weight, slows the car down and has painful extra ADR requirements for registration

keloooe
18-06-2015, 08:43 PM
@Wokka, nice CAD drawing, saved it for later use!
@Db, I agree, it is always a matter of one will be stronger than the other... In this case the SS frets would win hands down, if they can destroy a new cutting tool, wood will be no problemo!