PDA

View Full Version : entwistle vs tonerider

Patto
15-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi chaps, just curious about how the entwistles compare to the toneriders, anyone tried both? Hv58 and AC2 specifically or just the two brands in general? I've got tonerider hot classics in a tele that I'm happy with, but there are some vids of entwistles on the net that sound pretty sweet. (There's a guy with the zebras in a PRS, sounds to die for.)

Bass Guy
15-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Whilst I'm fully aware that what I'm about to say is of no help to you at all... :-)

I'm going to try the neodymium Jazz pickups for the Gloria project, as I'm keen to see if they provide the funky spank I'm after. I shall report once I have them.

stan
15-06-2015, 05:55 PM
BG, you are correct, but it sounds very cool...

robin
16-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Hi Patto, can't help much with humbuckers but I can make a direct comparison between the middle pickups from a Strat style guitar. (Tonerider City Limits vs Entwistle AS57-M). One of my ST's is ash body and maple fretboard the other basswood and rosewood, both use CTS pots. To my ears (admittedly stuffed from years of abuse) there is hardly any discernible difference. I did a quick and dirty comparison with my looper pedal and the output of both is similar with the tonerider being perhaps just a tad brighter.

But in a real world comparison of, play unplug/plug play, it would be hard to tell any difference.

I have made a direct comparison between my PitBull ST with Tonerider City Limits and a mates $2,500 Fender Strat through the same Marshall Amp, and we both agreed that they sounded the same.

Hope this helps.
rob