PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Offcuts

Rabbitz
14-06-2015, 06:16 AM
Hi Adam (et al),

For the kits that use veneers, I would assume that during the shaping in the factory, there would be some off cuts produced.

It would be handy for some of the veneer off cuts to make it into the kit.

These would be useful for stain and top coat testing and the like.

Regards

Colin

stan
14-06-2015, 09:07 AM
a bit like those laminate counter top sample swatches you can get...

wokkaboy
14-06-2015, 03:16 PM
great idea Colin, and if the offcut is big enough could be used for a headstock veneer. Offcuts are probably binned at the factory so can't hurt asking !

adam
14-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi Rabbitz, I like this idea. I will certainly ask them if this is possible.

The only difficulty I envisage is getting this one across the language barrier. When you ask for a kit with no fretboard inlays and get a kit with no frets, asking for offcut samples of the veneer might be a bridge too far.

We'll see.

For a start, I'll see if they can send us some bulk offcuts of the flame and spalted maple veneers. If we do get some, I'll include them with any of the kits we sell with those veneers.

keloooe
14-06-2015, 06:40 PM
The language barrier will probably be the only problem as Adam stated, but if they understand our request then it should actually be nice to have the offcuts to test stains on!

Nickosaurus
14-06-2015, 08:33 PM
When you ask for a kit with no fretboard inlays and get a kit with no frets, asking for offcut samples of the veneer might be a bridge too far.

:D not quite as cute as lost in translations movies huh

keloooe
14-06-2015, 08:59 PM
But a fretless kit would make DB quite happy!

stan
15-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I should learn Chinese and get myself on staff...

pablopepper
15-06-2015, 08:10 AM
But a fretless kit would make DB quite happy!

Until he has to refret it. :P