PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Vic

Devon
11-06-2015, 11:40 PM
Hi All,
I'm not sure if anyone else is left handed but we don't get fantastic variety when it come to guitars. I've been wanting to make my own guitar for ages so I figure I might as well just build my own and customise the colour however I set fit.

Hopping to put a few of the standard kits together to get some experience before I go crazy with customisation.

About to put in orders for the SV-1L, SG-1L, LP-1SSL. Hope I don't botch it up :)
Maybe take even take on Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat... one day.

WeirdBits
12-06-2015, 02:11 AM
Welcome Devon.

Don't worry, there are a few others with your affliction here on the forum... but we try not to mix with them too much ;)

Good luck with the kits, there's plenty of help and advice here so don't be afraid to ask.

Clebby
12-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Hey man! Welcome. Put in the time and effort, be patient, and you'll have a lovely guitar at the end of it, maybe multiple! Good luck!

stan
12-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Hey Devon welcome, I'm a leftie as well.
As well as the leftie kits offered, Adam will special order anything else you want leftie, so plenty of choice here.
A couple of awesome Frankenstrats have been made here, would be interesting to see a leftie.
Kits aside, I have a leftie Fender Telecaster, Squier Strat and an Epi Les Paul
Where in Vic are you, I'm in Geelong

wokkaboy
12-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Welcome Devon. Your plans sound great. Stan gets excited when another leftie joins the forum.
Take your time and start a build diary.
Can't wait to see you start your first build.
Ask any questions you have there is lots of knowledge on the forum now

andrewdosborne
12-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Welcome on board! Keen to see your build progress, remember to tap the knowledge in this forum. You'll end up with a sensational axe (or two, or three ....).

Devon
12-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Kits aside, I have a leftie Fender Telecaster, Squier Strat and an Epi Les Paul
Where in Vic are you, I'm in Geelong

Hey Stan,
In terms of electrics I have a Cort X, Epi Les Paul Std
and a limited edition gibson robot guitar... which I'll never be able to play because they only came.. you guessed it right handed. But I just had to have one.

As for me, I'm in Melbourne, western suburbs

Devon
12-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Will definitely keep you posted on the builds.

keloooe
12-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I managed to completely miss this thread! Welcome to the forum Devon! The kits you have in mind will make for good guitars if you take your time with them, you must resist the urge to get it done ASAP!
Remember to start a build diary for the build and as everyone has said, don't be afraid to ask any questions, there will always be someone here who can answer it!

Also I'm in Melbourne too, just on the other side.... And I'm not a lefty but I did start playing as a lefty!

gavinturner
13-06-2015, 07:25 AM
Hey Devon, welcome to yur new addiction! Sounds you have plans for some great builds. Start a build diary for each and share your experiences with us! I'm looking forward to reading about them.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
13-06-2015, 11:44 AM
String the robot Gibbo as a lefty and see if it can tune it..

Devon
25-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I'd probably give it a go stan, if it didn't cost me 3 grand.
I'm just leaving it alone in pristine condition for now in it's case.
Not sure if that's a good or bad thing for nitrocellulose paint.

keloooe
26-06-2015, 05:42 AM
As long as the humidity and temperature don't get their way then it should be fine.

stan
26-06-2015, 07:15 AM
play it dude, they are not to look at! Should have got a leftie!
Dont think you should have any issues with the case and NC finish. If you do it should be a Gibbo warrantee issue. I would take it out now and again though. Some stands do seem to react to finishes though, it depends on the type of soft cover - google it and have a read

Devon
29-06-2015, 10:53 PM
play it dude, they are not to look at! Should have got a leftie!

Ahh stan, didn't you know there's a conspiracy against lefties in the guitar world.
Actually, "Gibson Limited Edition First Run" only had 4000 made and none were left handed.

But that's ok I have a piece of history. Maybe one day it'll be worth a mega ton.
I imagine there's very few left in mint condition.

I will however take it out of the case and from time to time and charge the battery.

bargeloobs
30-06-2015, 04:22 AM
3k for a studio??? I mean I understand it's short run and all but please....are Gibson scamming people?!?

pablopepper
30-06-2015, 05:46 AM
....are Gibson scamming people?!?

I thought that was common knowledge.That company is swirling the drain.

GeneralKaos
30-06-2015, 05:56 AM
Hi, Devon, welcome! Great kits, you'll have fun building them.
The robot looks cool, and Gibs has been going downhill since they left Kalamazoo!!!

bargeloobs
30-06-2015, 06:04 AM
I thought that was common knowledge.That company is swirling the drain.

I find it hard to tell these days when it seems like literally everyone is out to scam you. Telstra, Foxtel, Ebay, Aus Post, Foxtel spring to mind instantly.
What's worse, someone charging 3k for a brand name instrument or actually handing over 3k for said instrument?

stan
30-06-2015, 07:13 AM
If you got it solely for investment, I hope it appreciates like you hope.

I am well aware of the leftie conspiracy mate, haha

Devon
30-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Telstra, Foxtel, Ebay, Aus Post, Foxtel spring to mind instantly.

Shhh but I happen to work for one of those aforementioned companies.

stan
30-06-2015, 06:30 PM
does that mean cheap Foxtel for the naughty room?

bargeloobs
30-06-2015, 07:20 PM
does that mean cheap Foxtel for the naughty room?

You mean Adtel. Literally paying good money to watch wall to wall advertisements, with the odd show thrown in to hook you just long enough for the next ad. The scam of the century.

Devon
30-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I work for a "telecommunications" company. :D

stan
30-06-2015, 08:44 PM
You mean Adtel. Literally paying good money to watch wall to wall advertisements, with the odd show thrown in to hook you just long enough for the next ad. The scam of the century.

Not wrong, I remember when the ads were at the end, now all the way through. Why pay for that - I can get it for free...

steve.timmons238
02-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Welcome Devon. If you are looking for knowledge on building guitars, you are in the right place. These guy's are top notch builders and extremely helpful. I stumbled on this site after purchasing a kit guitar, these guy's have been awesome!