PDA

View Full Version : Gunge on the neck heel?

gavinturner
11-06-2015, 02:29 PM
hi guys,

I started a new mahogany LP kit yesterday. During the mock build I noticed that the neck heel has quite a lot of crap built up on it. To me it looks like the neck has been glued before?? It's about half a mm thick.

There's nothing similar to be seen in the neck pocket. However the same kind of crap is also built up near the binding under where the fretboard rests.

So my question is, what should I do about it? The neck can be wedged into the pocket as-is, but can I just glue to this existing crap? I'm worried that the joint wont be strong enough. If I try to clean it off, I might damage the neck heel and create a loose fit in the pocket.

Any suggestions? I've never seen anything like this on a kit before and I'm at a complete loss.

thanks,
Gav.

wokkaboy
11-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Hey Gav, never seen an LP kit like that. I'd carefully sand the glue off, trying not to take much mahogany off.
I'd to a test fit every couple of minutes to make sure the neck/neck pocket fit isn't getting too loose.
Usually when you glue it the glue fills any small gaps and they should get a strong bond

dingobass
11-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Looks like there was a spillage of glue that wasnt wiped off properly...

Sand it off and dont worry too much if the neck seems a little loose side to side.
95+% of the bond strength comes from the bottom side of the neck heel to body join so you should be OK

stan
11-06-2015, 05:49 PM
cool DB, didn't know that about joint strength

gavinturner
11-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks Wokka and DB.
I'll get sanding on it! It's nice to know that even if I don't get it all off, that the joint isn't really dependent on it.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
12-06-2015, 07:34 AM
seems to come back to the basics Gav, if in doubt: sand.... haha

gavinturner
12-06-2015, 08:59 AM
That's it stan ;). I got the 180 grit out and blasted most of it away. The fit is a little looser now but not unmanageable.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
12-06-2015, 10:02 AM
that looks much better Gav,
@ Stan thats it, if in doubt, sand could be the new motto

gavinturner
12-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks Wokks - the neck fit is even still ok. very simple fix in the end! When in doubt, sand it out!!

cheers,
Gav.