PDA

View Full Version : More maple top 4-5 string bass kits?

Arzi
11-06-2015, 03:54 AM
Hi

Now that I've seen the awesome work done on some flamed maple guitar kits here, I would really want to try one out myself. It's too bad I play bass and not guitar. I'm not too fond of hollow body basses and would like a kit with bolt on neck and nicely figured maple top for the next project after RC-4 gets finished. The maple top could (or should) be more than 1mm thick - more forgiving for a sander just learning the ropes.

I was wondering if someone would have ideas on basses that would look good with maple tops? Wood surface shown as much as possible and less pickguard surface - control cavity in the back? And 4 -5 strings - as a beginner I have my hands full with four and don't need 6+. Could maybe use 5 in the future. Small hands or at least short fingers don't go well with a fretboard 4 inches wide...

So far I've found mostly 6+ string basses in my web search that have maple tops on them and almost all are custom made. So I figured if this would be one of those things where supply does not yet meet the demand?

If I can't get my hands on a nice maple top bass kit in the future, I'll most likely work on MMB-4 or JB kit next.

Has anyone made a custom order with some of these specs in the past?

Arzi

moody
11-06-2015, 04:05 AM
Gibson style bass maybe. Eb-3

I know there are les paul basses but their balance is fundamentally flawed.

stan
11-06-2015, 07:18 AM
shoot Adam email for a custom order, it might take some time, but you will get what you want I'm sure

Brendan
11-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Thunderbird - nuff said.

keloooe
11-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Thunderbird - nuff said.

Yes please!

GeneralKaos
12-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Thunderbird - nuff said.

Everybody has one of those.........

Sundragon
07-11-2015, 11:44 AM
The one thing I can't seem to find anywhere... a really good 5 string Jazz Bass kit!

wazkelly
07-11-2015, 06:04 PM
About a year or so ago PB had a spalted maple 5 string Ibanez shaped bass that is now offered only on the 6 string version and I was too slow to order one. As a bass player with short fingers and small hands too agree that 6 strings does not interest me either.

wazkelly
07-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Thunderbird - nuff said.

Already offered in mahogany and would look sensational with the right stain.

dave.king1
08-11-2015, 05:32 AM
As a bass player with short fingers and small hands too agree that 6 strings does not interest me either.

So a Fender VI would be the absolute dogs bollocks then :)

wazkelly
08-11-2015, 04:29 PM
So a Fender VI would be the absolute dogs bollocks then :)
If you are over 6' 6" tall and therefore have extra long fingers, go for it. Sadly I am neither and anything with 6 strings means guitar not bass for me.

dave.king1
08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
If you are over 6' 6" tall and therefore have extra long fingers, go for it. Sadly I am neither and anything with 6 strings means guitar not bass for me.

Quite the opposite, the Fender has a 30" scale and the neck is very similar width to a Strat

wazkelly
09-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Quite the opposite, the Fender has a 30" scale and the neck is very similar width to a Strat
Might have to look into that one day. In the middle of building a 5 string and need to figure that out first before contemplating another string below the low B.

dingobass
09-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Fender VI is tuned E to E but an octave lower than Guitar.

wazkelly
09-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Fender VI is tuned E to E but an octave lower than Guitar.
Interesting. How does that compare to a baritone guitar?

dingobass
09-11-2015, 09:51 PM
The more popular tunings for the Baritone are:
A perfect fifth A D G C E A, an augmented fourth Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb, a perfect fourth B E A D F♯ B or a major third lower C F Bb Eb G C

dave.king1
10-11-2015, 04:42 AM
The more popular tunings for the Baritone are:
A perfect fifth A D G C E A, an augmented fourth Bb Eb Ab Db F Bb, a perfect fourth B E A D F♯ B or a major third lower C F Bb Eb G C

I love it when you talk dirty to us DB :D

Speaking of tuning has anyone tried Robert Fripp's " new standard tuning "

Fretworn
10-11-2015, 09:15 AM
I love it when you talk dirty to us DB :D

Speaking of tuning has anyone tried Robert Fripp's " new standard tuning "

No. I read his Guitar Craft articles and decided I don't take enough drugs to understand him. Either the '60s were "good" to Robert or he is an alien visitor.

dave.king1
10-11-2015, 09:45 AM
No. I read his Guitar Craft articles and decided I don't take enough drugs to understand him. Either the '60s were "good" to Robert or he is an alien visitor.

I'm pretty sure as a player he's an alien but he has a very dry sense of humour