PDA

View Full Version : Amps and DI

keloooe
10-06-2015, 02:15 PM
So based off the previous discussion about DI, what are you guitar and bass amp setup preferences?

For guitar I'd like to run a pair of Marshall stacks :D
For bass I'd run two heads, both going to DI and each going to a separate 410 and 115 stack.... Maybe a third stack, why not? :P

I do like DI for bass, I always would prefer to DI off the head instead of DI off the board.... And nope I do not care about what you lot say I have heard a rig similar to what I want in my rig and it sounds quite nice to my ears and is a lot more portable too!

Nickosaurus
10-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Is this like a dream set up or what we actually have?

keloooe
10-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Can be for both Nicko, what I posted is my dream setup, my current setup is just a tiny 10W amp haha

Nickosaurus
10-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Oh right. :p

My dream live rig:
Mesa MkV/ENGL Savage
ENGL closed back 4x12 w/ v30s
Eventide delay/reverb
Ts808
CE-1
Fuzz factory
Vox wah

hnnnngh

lunaticthighs
10-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Current rig is 1 orange bass terror 1000 and 1 eden nemesis NA-650 into 2x15 and 2 - 4x10 custom boxes.

Tempted by the new orange OB-1 heads and would love a vintage ampeg all tube head. Also thinking of changing to an 18 and a 4 x 8 quad for a greater tonal spread.

Nickosaurus
10-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Yeah my current rig is a '9x Fender Hot Rod Deluxe A/B'd with an Orange Jim Root Terror and an Orange 1x12 with a v30/closed back

KurtSlash123
10-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes! my thread inspired a discussion, woohoo :P

currently i run my guitar through my pedal board and through a roland 30watt guitar amp, nothing special until i get my new amp built.

my dream setup would be a marshall stack running a nice JCM 800 through it, would sounnd siiick!

lunaticthighs
10-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Mmm fender and orange sounds like a good mix Nick. Haven't actually heard the Jim Root terrors but the orange range is such a sweet rock sound. Always been a fender man.

keloooe
10-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Yes! my thread inspired a discussion, woohoo :P

currently i run my guitar through my pedal board and through a roland 30watt guitar amp, nothing special until i get my new amp built.

my dream setup would be a marshall stack running a nice JCM 800 through it, would sounnd siiick!

My two dream heads are a modded JCM800 and the Victory Silverback (Rob Chapman \m/)

I've heard (and played) the Jim Root Terror.... Quite a fun amp to play!

moody
11-06-2015, 04:20 AM
So based off the previous discussion about DI, what are you guitar and bass amp setup preferences?

For guitar I'd like to run a pair of Marshall stacks :D
For bass I'd run two heads, both going to DI and each going to a separate 410 and 115 stack.... Maybe a third stack, why not? :P

I do like DI for bass, I always would prefer to DI off the head instead of DI off the board.... And nope I do not care about what you lot say I have heard a rig similar to what I want in my rig and it sounds quite nice to my ears and is a lot more portable too!

I would recommend if you are going to have different amps for bass, make the stacks the same cabinets. E.g. One stack all 15's, one stack all 10's.

The 1x15 + 4x10 stack is a fallacy. Speaker size tells you only one thing, how big the speaker is. A 15 is not specifically better for low end. In fact the 15 likely has better and far less directional high end while the 4x10 likely has better bass. If you stack them you will put more power into the 15 while the 4x10 loafs - making the 15 cabinet the limiting factor in the stack which you then do not hear over the tens when it is about to blow.

This is all null and void if you have two amplifiers and a proper active crossover. But I would still stack the 15 on top of the 4x10 and feed the 15 with the higher signal.

moody
11-06-2015, 04:23 AM
All that being said, my bass cab is a single 15 and 2 x 10. I got it before I knew all this and it sounds good. Not noticeably different to a single 15 but good.

pablopepper
11-06-2015, 06:34 AM
I used to run a 4x10 and 1x15 Hartke setup, what a pain in the ass. Currently, I'm using a 2x10 Ampeg cabinet which has a tighter, punchier sound than the large stack (not as much volume, as I've lost 200 odd watts of power, but still easily enough to drown out a guitarist and drummer). That surprised me, so I can see Moody is on the right track. Personally, I won't go back to stacks. Smaller cabs are where it's at, and sooooooo much better for your back

DrNomis_44
11-06-2015, 08:12 AM
When I'm playing guitar I either go straight into the amp (if I'm using my Marshall MA100C 100W All Valve 2X12 Combo Amp), or, I keep the amp I'm using set to it's clean channel and use a good sounding Distortion pedal, if an amp is not available to me I'll resort to using either my Digitech RP50 or Zoom G2and go straight into a mixer via a D.I. box.

For my Bass Guitar, I use my Peavey TKO 80 Bass amp (it's the one without the EQ controls), I need to do some service work on my TKO 80 amp because it has a background noise issue (there's a slight crackly sounding distortion whenever I play notes even at low volume settings), I need to get the TKO 80 amp chassis up on my workbench and connect it to a dummy load to find the cause of the distortion.

Fretworn
11-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm old enough to know that you will never need more than 30w of anything. I'd love a smallish 15w-30w tube combo. In real life I have a Fender solid state 60w combo (smallest decent solid state combo I could get with a 12" speaker). It's never been past 2 1/2 on the gain and volume knobs, which is a problem because you don't get any tone until both are past 2. I went solid state because they are a) lighter, and b) less afraid of getting bumped around. I spent 18 months without a car and used to lug all my gear around on the train using a fold up trolley. Would have problems if it was a tube amp.

keloooe
11-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I used to run a 4x10 and 1x15 Hartke setup, what a pain in the ass. Currently, I'm using a 2x10 Ampeg cabinet which has a tighter, punchier sound than the large stack (not as much volume, as I've lost 200 odd watts of power, but still easily enough to drown out a guitarist and drummer). That surprised me, so I can see Moody is on the right track. Personally, I won't go back to stacks. Smaller cabs are where it's at, and sooooooo much better for your back

Yeah for starting I'm staying away from stacks at all costs, I might snag a TC Electronic 2x10 combo, I'm with you on the tight, punchy sound a 10 inch speaker provides!

DrNomis_44
12-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Yeah for starting I'm staying away from stacks at all costs, I might snag a TC Electronic 2x10 combo, I'm with you on the tight, punchy sound a 10 inch speaker provides!

A friend of mine gave me an old Peavey Backstage Plus Guitar Amp, it needed a new speaker as the old one didn't work anymore, so, I ended up ordering a new 10 inch Jensen C10Q online, the speaker came in the mail a couple of weeks later and I wasted no time in installing it, the amp sounded great with the new speaker, very Fender-ish, anyway, I was playing my guitar through it when some of the pots failed, now I need to find proper replacements for them in order to get the amp working again.

Quick update:

I've just managed to get my Peavey Backstage Plus amp back up and running again, I had some pots that I could use as replacements with a minor mod to the circuit board, all the controls work as they should so I'm pretty happy with it so far cause now I have a good 35 Watt amp I can gig with.....