PDA

View Full Version : Hardtail strat,with a thick flame-maple cap and blank neck headstocks

TomL
09-06-2015, 09:14 PM
I currently own nearly every type of guitar,several copies of some body shapes in fact.But a nice hardtail Strat is not one of them.The bridge can be the fender style hardtail bridge or a string through body bridge with ferules.
I would love to have a proper 6mm thick flame-maple cap.The current kits only use a 1mm veneer which sometimes has glue bleed through which mars transparent finishes.In particar,to do a proper 3D flame-maple finish,a dark stain is applied first then sanded nearly away.Subsequent coats of water-bases stain raise the grain which needs to sanded back.I've sanded thru to the substrate many times.
Don't get me wrong,these kits are fantastic value as they are ,but I'd gladly part with an extra $100 per kit to get proper thick maple caps.
Finally I'd like to request the option of guitar neck headstocks without the tuner holes drilled through.A lot of these these necks ,in particular the PRS styles just look wrong with Gibson style headstocks.I built the Rickenbacker kit and filled in the holes on one side with maple ,in order to get the correct profile ,but the filled in holes are glaringly conspicuous.Cheers,Tom.3495

wokkaboy
10-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Tom, sounds good to me your suggestion of hardtail strat with a thicker veneer. Having rounded edges may make it a little more difficult. As there are already 90+ PBG models its hard to stock every configuration and shape that builders want.
You could always email Adam for a custom order. With your experience you could probably source a thick veneer and glue it on yourself.
As for blank paddle necks there is a PRS blank paddle neck available
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/guitar-body-blanks/pbg-n3r-rosewood-neck-for-g-type-kits-24-frets/
Or sure the factory could omit the tuner holes on other models on a custom order. Think there may be blank Strat neck paddles as well available.

stan
10-06-2015, 10:45 AM
like your idea of blank paddles. In fact I think they should all come blank - yet to see a G headstock that didnt need re drilling...

andrewdosborne
10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I currently own nearly every type of guitar,several copies of some body shapes in fact.But a nice hardtail Strat is not one of them.The bridge can be the fender style hardtail bridge or a string through body bridge with ferules.
I would love to have a proper 6mm thick flame-maple cap.The current kits only use a 1mm veneer which sometimes has glue bleed through which mars transparent finishes.In particar,to do a proper 3D flame-maple finish,a dark stain is applied first then sanded nearly away.Subsequent coats of water-bases stain raise the grain which needs to sanded back.I've sanded thru to the substrate many times.
Don't get me wrong,these kits are fantastic value as they are ,but I'd gladly part with an extra $100 per kit to get proper thick maple caps.
Finally I'd like to request the option of guitar neck headstocks without the tuner holes drilled through.A lot of these these necks ,in particular the PRS styles just look wrong with Gibson style headstocks.I built the Rickenbacker kit and filled in the holes on one side with maple ,in order to get the correct profile ,but the filled in holes are glaringly conspicuous.Cheers,Tom.3495

I know what you mean with the caps. Someone else has already posted links to this tutorial - I might give this a crack one day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udme2rX-a8U&list=PLS3go2x2avnQ9YGfx0HSoD-rkb5znZOcR