PDA

View Full Version : Hi y'all

TomL
07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
My name is Tom and I've been building and finishing guitars for 5 years now.I've been playing for over 30 years.5 years ago I had a work accident ( I work with glass,I make leadlights) which slashed my left wrist, severing an artery, 8 out of the 10 tendons and most importantly 2 out the 3 main nerves that control your hand and fingers.At the time I could not even hold a guitar so I found these kits on ebay and have been making them in the meantime.The artery and tendons healed long ago but the nerve damage is still not right.I cannot form a clean open chord or barre chord but can muddle around the neck to some degree.
I buy cheap guitars off ebay and respray them with crazy colour schemes.I've built 14 kits so far.My usual finish is Auto acrylics with Tru-Oil necks,although I am now using stains and finishing oils.I usually replace the kit hardware with roller tune-o-matic bridges ,Tusq nuts and various name pickups,Seymour Duncans,Dimarzzzios,Tone Riders and the stock pickups which sound fine but lack the 4 conductor wire cable so you can't coil split them.
I am now fully experienced with most guitar electrics,including the most important part.Working out where the problem lies when something does not work the way it should.

Arzi
07-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi Tom!

It's good to get one more experienced builder along to give some good advice to a beginner like myself.

Arzi

stan
07-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the team Tom. Always nice to have experience that I hope you enjoy sharing here

kimball492
07-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi Tom, Good to have you join us

GeneralKaos
07-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Welcome, Tom!!

Matney
07-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Hey Tom, welcome to the forums. I'm only a beginner (to guitar in every way just about) so when you say you've been playing guitar for 30 years, that's about 60 times the amount I have been playing guitar(only started around 2 terms ago). But this forum is full of help so if you need any it should be easy enough to find something.

andrewdosborne
07-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Tom!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
07-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Hi Tom welcome to the forum and great to have experienced presence. Glad you can still build and play guitar after that nasty accident ! Lesson to stay safe all

Fretworn
08-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Welcome Tom! The accident sounds horrific, but I'm glad you been able to find some joy through this insane hobby.