PDA

View Full Version : Wanted for School Contest: Any damaged/unwanted Kit.

ihasmario
06-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Got too many kits? Got one that you messed up early in the build? Bought one and changed your mind? Sell it to me so I can give a teenager the chance to design a guitar, learn and/or keep the guitar.

I want to host a contest at my school about designing your own guitar - which will then be painted/made by the students. I don't have the yearly budget to do this for my school. So it's most likely coming out of my own pocket - which means that (probably) I will keep the build after it is finished and offer guitar lessons as a reward for the winner, along with the ability to paint the guitar. This is subject to the cost/availability of the kit.

If you're willing to sell me a kit, please let me know how much you want for it - and whether you'd like to express any particular requests (eg. recognition of partial donation due to price reduction, student gets to keep the guitar, it's kept at school as the "school guitar" for use with children of all ages etc).

If we're looking at something I will keep (i.e. the kit is close to full cost) - then I'm primarily interested in an SG. If I can't find anyone with a kit, I'll be buying an SG kit I want myself from PBG at retail.

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 01:49 PM
I've got a very cheap strat that you are welcome to for the price of postage, this is a complete playable instrument. ( actually sounds and plays quite acceptably )

The current body is ply so getting another lump of timber for the body shouldn't be a big deal, if you are planning to reshape a SG I'm guessing the classroom has the necessary tools

I'm located in Sydney, Sutherland area

ihasmario
06-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Hi david,

At the moment the kids use my PBG telecaster. Strictly speaking we don't "need" a functioning guitar.

Because we're low SES I'd like to expose the kids to some other careers in music besides just performance (eg. Lutherie). I definitely appreciate the offer - I may take you up on the offer soon depending on how the contest idea pans out.

Some of the kids go off campus to work with some tools during Careers. Whether the guitar gets reshaped will depend on the age of the winner and if they have experience with tools for reshaping.

I'll PM you tomorrow.

stan
06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
I have some hardware floating about, tuners, bridges and humbuckers, all PBG stuff.
You will still need a body and neck, not sure what I totally have... PM me some details and I'll send it to you.
No cost and I'll pay for postage

Nickosaurus
06-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Cool idea Mario. Are you a music teacher then?

adam
06-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Hi ihasmario, happy to help out a regular. I'm sure we can rustle up a neck and a hardware pack.

I've got some Maple fretboard LP style necks (no idea why I bought them), gladly let you have one of those plus a chrome hardware pack (incl pickups and electronics) if you cover the postage ($25).

Let me know.

stan
06-06-2015, 04:51 PM
and that is why PBG is the best....

ihasmario
06-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Hi Nick, yeah I am a music teacher at a small k-12 school down near Kwinana.

Adam I will take you up on your offer (will email you on Monday), are there any bodies I can buy out of my own pocket that would suit one of these necks and hardware ? None of the children will be able to do a scratch build for the body, but it is possible they or I will be able to modify the body.

If the cost of the neck and hardware is covered I'll gladly donate the guitar directly to the child who wins.

I'll talk to you about giving PBG some credit over email, and if you'd like some process for judging the winner.

Thanks again everyone. Once again PBG proves to be the best

keloooe
06-06-2015, 06:08 PM
Nice Mario, I'm currently planning to undertake both Bachelor of Education and Bachelor of Music, I quite like sharing my love for music with others! Sounds like a ripper plan you have there too!!!

Nickosaurus
06-06-2015, 06:09 PM
So cool. Will be a great project

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Very cool indeed, my grandkids go to a local school here in Sydney and I suspect that they will end up with some of my stuff from time to time as the herd gets the occasional pruning.

Being pretty local to you I reckon Adam will offer the best value.

I had a great music teacher at high school who was the inspiration for my life of music, none of my family played or sang before that time and off my playing both of my brothers are strummers and now my grandkids are showing an interest.

Music is the only true international language ( don't mention opera, rap or Coldplay and we'll get on just fine :D )

adam
06-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Sure, ihasmario, I'm sure we can rustle up a spare body here, but I thought you wanted to make the body with the students? What are they making?

Anyhoo, email me Monday and we'll work it out.

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Ads, this forum needs a like button badly there are many good things happening lately where you want to say "that's cool" without replying in a post

keloooe
06-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Ads, this forum needs a like button badly there are many good things happening lately where you want to say "that's cool" without replying in a post

IIRC vBulletin has a form of "like" button.... I also agree, there is a lot more awesome stuff happening now!

ihasmario
06-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Hi Adam,

The students will be designing a shape or painting to put on the guitar and depending on the winner they may be shaping the guitar.

We will most likely use a standard body shape as the base so anyone can enter (which is also why part of the prize will be lessons with me). Then they can modify or paint the body and neck as they see fit and they will assemble the rest of the kit themselves.

There is no student at my school with the ability to do a scratch body because we are small and don't have on campus equipment and most of the students don't have a lot at home . But depending on the winner there may be someone who can modify the body without my assistance.

I can give a scratch body a go with some of the students but by the time we both work it all out the year will likely be over.

A true scratch may be on the cards for another year or when we have more on site equipment for wood work

Darren
06-06-2015, 08:19 PM
A like button did you say?

:)

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 08:25 PM
A like button did you say?

:)

Well how about that little gem, never noticed that before.

Doesn't do quite what I expected though :)

Darren
06-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Well how about that little gem, never noticed that before.

Doesn't do quite what I expected though :)

What would you expect? It may be possible ...

There is also the Facebook like:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3442&stc=1&d=1433593882

dave.king1
06-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks Darren, I'll put up a screen shot from another forum tomorrow to further illustrate what I meant when I'm on a PC and not a semi intelligent tablet device