PDA

View Full Version : Whats your go to brand for waterbased powdered dye?

Clebby
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
I'm looking to mix and match with the colours to get the right shades for my builds, and I like the idea of the powdered ones. Where would I be looking for something that's cheap but quality? I think the term is aniline dye, but I'm not an expert.

wokkaboy
04-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Hi Clebby,

I don't know anything about powder dyes, never used them. Dingobass might have some clues.

Might pay to do some research on the internet or wait to see if anyone else on the forum knows anything

Clebby
04-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Hi Clebby,

I don't know anything about powder dyes, never used them. Dingobass might have some clues.

Might pay to do some research on the internet or wait to see if anyone else on the forum knows anything

I'll definitely continue researching, but I'd hoped to get some advice from someone here.

wokkaboy
04-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Hey Clebby. hang tight its a large forum and some members may only get online every few days so someone may have used the powder dyes.
Have you priced or purchased them ? might pay to do some tests on scrap wood

Clebby
04-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Yeah I'm in no rush, happy to wait.

I've never purchased these or anything similar before, but I've been searching and found this site: http://www.ubeaut.com.au/dye.html
No idea if its powdered or not, doesn't give much info, but I'll keep searching. It's hard for me to price too, because I don't know what is and what isn't expensive :p

andrewdosborne
04-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Naughty warehouse stuff for sure but Dylon powder dyes can be used on wood.

Clebby
04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Is it the hand dyes or machine dyes? And are they worth using would you say?

Nickosaurus
04-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Clebby those dyes you linked are exactly the same as the ones I used on my IB7. They're not powdered - they come as super high concentrate water dyes. You dilute them in water to the desired colour and you can also mix them to create new colours.

I chose to use them because I love mixing colours (art background) and couldn't find someone who sold what I was after... I'd definitely recommend them. They'll last you forever too - a little goes a long way.

andrewdosborne
04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Is it the hand dyes or machine dyes? And are they worth using would you say?

This is the cold water hand dyes. I'm about to try some so will let you know..

http://www.dylon.com.au/techniques.htm

Clebby
04-06-2015, 06:40 PM
nickosaurus: oh awesome! They looked decent enough, and it's nice to support fellow Aussies. I might give them a try! Cheers! Plus the mixing is something I'd love to try out, really tailor the colours.

andrewdosborne: I'd love to hear how they go for you. I'm not in a rush to purchase anything - schools quite busy - so it'll definitely weigh in on my decision.

dingobass
09-06-2015, 06:43 PM
The best dyes I have found are pigment powder types.
These are used in all kinds of applications from soap making to wood work.

You can get them as water soluable or oil dispersable and unlike aniline dyes, they are more light fast.

You can excpect to pay no more than $10 for enough to last a lifetime of casual builds..

stan
09-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Art inks work well, see my LP for my sister build

Clebby
10-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Awesome, thanks stan and dingobass. I'll be going for the pigment powder.

Arzi
10-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Hi Clebby

I just ordered water based powdered stains from Keda Dye (US). These can also be used with denatured alcohol. Wanted to try these out because if the price; five colours: red, yellow, blue, brown and black - 20 U.S dollars shipped. Came within a week to Finland.

These should make 1 litre of stain per color and all are mixable. Ordered from ebay UK.

Watched some youtube clips about them and I'm gonna use these on my RC-4 build this summer. We'll see what happens.

Arzi

Clebby
11-06-2015, 05:10 AM
I'll check them out, but US shipping to Australia could cost an arm or a leg, as it usually does for things. Would be good for that price though!

Arzi
11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Hi Clebby

The shipping here was about 5 dollars and the product 15 dollars. Same here - the shipping does usually cost almost as much as the product if it doesn't fit in an envelope, but this did fit so...

As I said - th price was the factor for me because here the powders for 8oz of stain cost abot 8-10 dollars each. No wonder online shopping from other countries has exploded in the past five years...

Arzi

Dajavoodoo
21-06-2015, 08:12 AM
I've ordered some Keda Dyes from Ebay Australia, came from the USA. The overall cost was reasonable at AU$19.00 + $6.50 postage for the 5 aniline dyes. Planning to try them out on my next build, a TL-1TB with a flame maple veneer.

dingobass
21-06-2015, 08:49 AM
With Aniline dyes you have to be aware that they will permanantly stain white bindings...

You can mask with tape, if you have the patience..... ;)

Devon
28-06-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi guys, when using waterbased dyes. Is wood swelling something you need to take into consideration?
Do I need to pre treat the wood with something before applying the dye?