PDA

View Full Version : Scratch build body using blank

Clebby
02-06-2015, 08:12 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. Anyway, I'm thinking about the possibilities of creating a body from scratch for use in my build. Would you guys warn against this for a first build? My other option is to simply ask for a custom body from adam, but I do like the idea of shaping it myself from a blank. :D

dingobass
02-06-2015, 08:35 AM
All you need tool wise is a router and pattern cutting bits (1/4" and 1/2"), jigsaw, a few rasps and files and away ya go!

First, make a template. This template will have the outside shape and pup/ control cavity shapes cut into it.
MDF work well for templates. When you have it cut out and refined the shapes, seal all the cut out edges with thin super glue or shellac. Dont use waterbased sealers as this will cause the MDF to swell.

Always rout neck pocket and all cavities before cutting the body from the blank.
This gives you some wriggle room to adjust the placement if needed.
It is good practice to have a trial run on some cheap timber :)

dingobass
02-06-2015, 08:45 AM
My Tele style template..

Clebby
02-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Awesome, cheers dingobass! I might go for that. I'm hoping to make an RG style shape.

2 more questions

1. I would get the main shape, and then if I wanted curves on the edges and such just sand to get those details? like on the 'horns' of the cutaways?
2. How would you go about adding a special top like quilted/flamed maple on top of a basswood body?

keloooe
02-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Awesome, cheers dingobass! I might go for that. I'm hoping to make an RG style shape.

2 more questions

1. I would get the main shape, and then if I wanted curves on the edges and such just sand to get those details? like on the 'horns' of the cutaways?
2. How would you go about adding a special top like quilted/flamed maple on top of a basswood body?

Clebby, it is a good idea to start with a kit first to get your hands around the building process, but if yo uwant to start with a scratch body then go for it!

if you are talking about curves as in rounded corners, you can use a router for that, or do what I am doing and file it away if you want your own custom curve.
Adding a top requires a lot more skill than just routing a body, best to leave the high end maples until later on. If you were to do it I would use the same template for the top as well, make sure your body and top thicknesses are good enough for the playability, dont make it too thick.

wokkaboy
02-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Hi Clebby, the pattern following router bit will follow the shape of your template, so the better your template the better your body will be shaped and less sanding/shaping required.
Gluing veneers to a body takes practice, I recently glued a veneer to a tele and had to sand it off, I didn't roll out all the glue lumps and cutting it to shape is a difficult task not to tear the veneer.
When/if you are ready to glue a veneer we can give you some tips. The veneers aren't cheap so its an expensive mistake if you stuff it up !

Clebby
02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
keloooe: My main problem with the scratch would be adding a top. It seems pretty daunting.. I might try one without a top first and see how that goes.
Nah, what I meant by curves was like in the image I posted in my previous thread about the blue burst: the guitar there not only had the horns curved inward, but the horns themselves were slightly rounded if that makes sense. But regardless, I might try using a file for the curve, thanks.

Wokkaboy: Hmm. I'd love to try it, but I don't really want to bite off more than I can chew so to speak. I might ask adam for a custom design instead. But I will ask around when/if I do make the jump!

stan
02-06-2015, 12:48 PM
cut it out with a jigsaw first and give yourself a few mm all around. Then put the template on top and route away. Leaving tooo much timber makes it hard going for your router

Clebby
02-06-2015, 06:39 PM
cut it out with a jigsaw first and give yourself a few mm all around. Then put the template on top and route away. Leaving tooo much timber makes it hard going for your router

Alright I'll keep that in mind, cheers!

dave.king1
02-06-2015, 08:51 PM
I've used both a palm sander and a flap disk in an angle grinder for shaping but both require a gentle touch because damage if it happens will be enough to cause a significant outbreak of Tourette's

Clebby
03-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Yeah, I might stay away from that for now, I doubt I would have too nice of a touch! haha