PDA

View Full Version : Black to ice blue using dingotone?

Clebby
02-06-2015, 05:09 AM
I'm looking at doing a burst from black to blue to ice blue. What products would I be looking to get? Bondi Blue is the only blue available, and there's no example of it being used to get a much darker tone. Also, what would I use to get a nice black? Black stump seems to be a dark blue/green colour.

This image is the general concept of what I'm looking at: Replace the purples with the equivalent in blues.

Cheers!

Brendan
02-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Clebby - Black Stump has another unofficial name - none more black - it's black - black, black. I suppose you could thin a little and get another colour - has to come from somewhere, but I think it'll be dark enough for the edges. Going into the middle I think that the Bondi Blue should be good - look at Wokka's ST-1 in the June GOTM - that's Bondi and it may be light enough.

Clebby
03-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Clebby - Black Stump has another unofficial name - none more black - it's black - black, black. I suppose you could thin a little and get another colour - has to come from somewhere, but I think it'll be dark enough for the edges. Going into the middle I think that the Bondi Blue should be good - look at Wokka's ST-1 in the June GOTM - that's Bondi and it may be light enough.

So black stump can actually achieve black? That's good.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Bondi.jpg - looking here I'm not sure that I can achieve the light colour I'm aiming for. I might have to look for dyes elsewhere.

I'm potentially thinking of using a method like this guy does http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/how-to-create-a-sunburst-finish.aspx That way I can mix and match until I get the colour/s I desire.

EDIT: probably without the tigerstripe black he does.

dingobass
10-06-2015, 03:00 PM
You can always ask me to mix a lighter blue for you......
Cost ya a six pack :) ;)

wokkaboy
10-06-2015, 03:03 PM
haha standard DB currency

Clebby
11-06-2015, 05:09 AM
You can always ask me to mix a lighter blue for you......
Cost ya a six pack :) ;)

:P

In all seriousness, would the bondi blue be able to achieve the darker and lighter colours like that of the original image? I'm leaning towards dyes at the moment for the ability to mix them and the price, thought I may be swayed hahaha

dingobass
11-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Yep. You can manipulate the colour intensity by the number of coats applied.

Clebby
12-06-2015, 04:59 AM
Oh awesome, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

stan
12-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Use a practice piece Clebby, like a square of pine just to get the technique down - dont want to use your kit as the test bed