PDA

View Full Version : What kind of finish is this? How would I achieve this?

Clebby
01-06-2015, 03:46 PM

Just been looking round at some of the Daemoness guitars, and my goodness are some of them incredible. This one in particular caught my eye.

A few questions:

1. What kind of body would I want for this? Quilted Maple?
2. How would I achieve this burst? What techniques? What other colours would I need? Would bondi-blue dingo tone work?
3. Is there a lacquer on this?
4. As a first build, how difficult would this be?

Also any other thoughts on the details of going about this are welcome, though you'll be sure to see more questions in the coming weeks regardless! :D

This is for my 'dream in progress' design, happy to put it off after a bit more experience :cool:

Nickosaurus
01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Looks like a pretty thick poly over a water based stain. There's a ton of bursting tutorials on the net.. IT really depends on what tools you're using/spraying equipment/wipe on dyes etc.

I'd suggest practising a burst on a scrap before attempting on the main axe mate.

Not sure about bondi blue... I haven't seen an axe finished with it yet.

You can pull anything off if you take enough time and be PATIENT with finishing. :)

Clebby
01-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Pardon my rookie-ness, but poly as in poly-resin?

That's what I was hoping. I've looked at a couple of bursting tutorials and I like the idea of the wipe on dyes. If I can get a dingotone that works well I'd be stoked, but I'll look elsewhere if I have to.

Definitely will do that, don't wanna wreck anything from lack of experience.

Well if thats the case I'm happy to be patient! :D

Nickosaurus
01-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Aye polyurethane :) gives it that glassy look

dingobass
01-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Check out Jarrods vidoes on spraying acrylics etc.. He Da Man!

Clebby
01-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Nickosaurus: I'll keep that in mind! Cheers! And you could spray that over a dingotone for example?

dingobass: Awesome video. As someone who has never done any spraying + has no gear, would it be difficult to go about this? I automatically was leaning towards either wudtone or dingotone as they seemed much more straight forward, plus required almost no gear. Thoughts?

gavinturner
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Hey Clebby,
I have had great results using clear gloss acrylic directly from a spray can. Use Jarrod's method 100% but using cans sprayed outside. works a treat. I've been using White Knight gloss acrylic.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
01-06-2015, 06:32 PM
If I had to guess I would say this is blue dye into quilted maple, then with a tinted clear coat (eg. acrylic) to do the black burst, and then clear acrylic clear over the top. Getting the tinted burst would need spray equipment, but you could rub this burst on with water-based dyes.

cheers,
Gav.

Clebby
01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
If I had to guess I would say this is blue dye into quilted maple, then with a tinted clear coat (eg. acrylic) to do the black burst, and then clear acrylic clear over the top. Getting the tinted burst would need spray equipment, but you could rub this burst on with water-based dyes.

cheers,
Gav.

That's really good to know. I'd prefer not to fork out for spray equipment.

I've seen a guy do what he refers to as a 'poor-mans-burst' which is done simply using dyes. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49jCIRNnmk

I was hoping to do something like this. Ignoring the first layer of black perhaps as I don't particularly want that effect, his method for getting the burst effect seems decent, what do you think of it?

keloooe
01-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Clebby you can use a stain called Dingotone (sold here at Pit Bull Guitars) and I hear it is a lot easier to get a good burst with it, so it is a possibility if you wish to try it out!

gavinturner
01-06-2015, 08:46 PM
That's really good to know. I'd prefer not to fork out for spray equipment.

I've seen a guy do what he refers to as a 'poor-mans-burst' which is done simply using dyes. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u49jCIRNnmk

I was hoping to do something like this. Ignoring the first layer of black perhaps as I don't particularly want that effect, his method for getting the burst effect seems decent, what do you think of it?

Tons of poorman's bursts on the forum. I've done a tonne using Colortone water-based dye and it's not as hard as you might think. If you get some dye and scrap wood (eg pine), you'll have it down in no time! My last rubbed on burst was this one:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3352&p=66548&viewfull=1#post66548

cheers,
Gav.

Clebby
02-06-2015, 04:33 AM
Keloooe: I was thinking of that. Just not sure if I can achieve this dark kind of blue with dingotone, the example on the store page is very light. I may have to ask.

gavinturner: that burst was really nice. Could I achieve those results with dingotone? I couldn't tell if it was water based or not. I'm sure I could rustle up some old pine to test on!