PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy with dingotone

Aidan7250
31-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi, sorry i dont complain much but this dingtone i am unhappy with, their are horrible dry lumps everywere on the guitar, very patchy, some parts of the wood didnt take the stain where as others did take heaps! Im just really unhappy with the way it looks and feels, is their anything you guus can do like replace the kit or something? Cheers

wokkaboy
31-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Hi Aidan. Can you please post some pics? What kit are you building? Could be many reasons why you are having trouble. Have you prepared the body before applying the stain? You need to fine steel wool between coats. Needs at least 4 days curing in cool climate in Tassy especially. give us more back ground so we can help you before you bag a great product please

GeneralKaos
01-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Yes, please post pix so it can get sorted out!

wokkaboy
01-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Aiden did you carefully read the instructions before applying ? You shouldn't overwork the rag, only one application and apply thin coats. The forum is here to help. As I said previously curing time is important as there are no drying agents in DT.
Might take a bit of practice but most forumites have got very good results with Dingotone.
If you give us some more information should be able to get you back on track

dingobass
01-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear of your problems, cooler weather does slow things up.

The most common causes for lumps are.
1. Over working. Wipe once and leave it alone.. If you see bits that you missed you will cover them with the next coat.
2. Leaving the lid off the bottle too long.. Pour some out and put the lid on immediatley.
3. Not shaking the bottle enough.. Dingotone contains pigment powders as its colouring agent. The powders will settle out so you really need to shake the bottle vigorously for at least a minute before starting.
I also shake again befrore pouring out more.

What you can do is give the Guitar a rub down with 400 grit sandpaper to remove the lumps.

I am cooking up a fresh batch of DT either today or tomorrow so I will send you out a new kit.

Aidan7250
01-06-2015, 02:17 PM
I did steel wool with 0000 grade steel wool, these pictures are with stain, 4 coats intensifying, 2 final coats all buffed with the steel wool, i followed your video really closely DB, its ruined the guitar. is their anyway you guys can send a new guitar kit? i cant seem to get the photos to work, is their an email i can contact you on DB?

pablopepper
01-06-2015, 02:34 PM
You can't ruin a guitar with finish, just gonna have to sand it off.

wokkaboy
01-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Sand it off Aiden and start again.

andrewdosborne
02-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Hello Aidan, remember that any finish can come out not as intended. There is a nack in getting finishes perfected to ones satisfaction, can take some practice and patience. One telecaster I restored took at least 4 attempts!