PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

Clebby
31-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone. I've thought about building my own guitar on and off for at least 2 years. I'm in year 12 at the moment, and the idea of spending a relatively small amount on something that I could enjoy for years to come is really appealing to me.

I have 2/3 builds in mind so far. The main one that I'm looking at is an Ibanez RG style build. Thinking of a nice blue, Alpha + Omega seymour duncans (Mark Halcomb's custom set), and no floyd rose. Sadly there is no RG 6 string kit without a floyd right now being offered, so that is going to be put on hold.

The second is a 7 string RG style build. No idea on anything really, but again I don't want a floyd.

I'm also playing around with the idea of doing almost a practice build on a tele or a strat, to maybe get my eye in and experiment before I work on the other 2. Not sure on that either.

This is all just in the beginnings as funds are light. I'll plan on dreaming up these over the coming months while I focus on HSC. I might also ask a bit for some advice on the RG (as that's my the build I'm most looking forward to).

Anyway, hello! :D

keloooe
31-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Hi Clebby, welcome to the forum! Nice to see another high schooler here (I'm in year 11)! You can email Adam at adamboyle at pitbullguitars dot com to get a quote for an RG with no Floyd, but a Strat or Tele would be a good option to start, and as a plus, they are cheap!

Gotta hate having VCE / HSC commitments, both my previous builds and my current build are proceeding slower due to school based commitments, but I still managed to get them complete! Be sure to ask many questions as we are all here to help, and when you decide on your kit, be sure to start a build diary so we can all watch the progress and provide as much help as possible!

Cheers,
Callum

Clebby
31-05-2015, 06:43 PM
I thought about that. Would a custom quote be more expensive?
Yeah, that's exactly my thoughts! I've always liked the idea of a tele.

HSC is more important to me, but I'm hoping to get a start on the build/s before the end of school. If I manage my time well it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I definitely will be asking a lot of questions! It'll be a massive learning curve for me, which is why I am thinking of a 'practice' build.

keloooe
31-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Yeah I take my school commitments as a more important aspect of my life, spent all day studying today instead of carving a Tele, but you can find some time before exams start to really get a good start. I spent a lot of time asking questions too Clebby, it's normally for a first timer to ask question upon question upon question, so ask away! I think the custom quote will be more expensive and you will also have to wait until the next shipment, so if you want to build something fast and now, a Tele would be pretty cool!

Brendan
01-06-2015, 09:10 AM
While they can be more expensive, from what I've seen, customs tend to be within the same sort of bracket of prices, depending on what you want to do. Naturally the more you want to go away from the original the more expensive it will be. Different woods also add to the cost. As Pest has said - drop Ads a line - I've just plain texted his email address as it tends to be spammed by every spammer around, but I'm sure you'll work it out. If you mention a rough what you're thinking of and that you just want an idea, not a quote, Ads should be able to give you some feedback pretty quick.
As for starting with a tele / strat - great idea - there's lots to learn in getting a guitar that's playable - better to start on something that's a bit easier.

Fretworn
01-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Welcome Clebby

Clebby
01-06-2015, 12:10 PM
Keloooe: alright awesome, I think I will do that!

Brendan: that's exactly what I've thought, that I just won't know enough to get it right, at least to the level I will want it. So a Tele build would be fun!
I'll also get onto Adam about a custom build design aswell after I figure out a few more details.

Fretworn: thank you!