PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging holes in Semi-Hollow

ihasmario
31-05-2015, 08:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I need to enlarge some holes in my semi-hollow kit. Is it safe to just drill straight down using the existing hole as a pilot, without putting something under the top to support it?

Thanks

andrewdosborne
31-05-2015, 09:46 AM
I'd be very careful with this. Some other forumites may have better techniques but I've reverted to using suitable size round files and doing by hand. My attempts at drilling to make existing holes larger resulted in torn finish or bottom side of hole (with masking tape to protect surrounding area).

gavinturner
31-05-2015, 09:53 AM
On my 335, and on my 175 I just did as you suggest with no issues. Just take it easy.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
31-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Hi Ihasmario, which holes are you enlarging ? pot or bridge/tailpiece bush holes ?
If enlarging the pot/switch holes I use a drill in reverse very slowly so it doesn't tear out the cap.
If enlarging bridge/bush holes I suggest using a drill press and should have the correct tapered bit

keloooe
31-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I enlarged the tuner holes on my Frankenpester, I bought a 19 piece drill bit set from Bunnings (off to the naughty warehouse!) and go up by 0.5mm each time VERY SLOWLY. If I feel the drill bit moving away from centre, I stop immediately and reverse out. Worked well for me!

dingobass
31-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Very carefully...

ihasmario
31-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi Ihasmario, which holes are you enlarging ? pot or bridge/tailpiece bush holes ?
If enlarging the pot/switch holes I use a drill in reverse very slowly so it doesn't tear out the cap.
If enlarging bridge/bush holes I suggest using a drill press and should have the correct tapered bit

Just the potholes wokka.

I've heard that it's better to start with a stepped drill bit in order to avoid damaging the finish. Is this true?

Also - high or low speed drill?

Fretworn
01-06-2015, 11:04 AM
This might sound a bit crazy, but try drilling slowly backwards with a hand drill. The action is more like filing and you don't get the drill bit digging in and tearing the wood.

andrewdosborne
01-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Good tip Fretworn. I'll use this method next time round as my power tooling skills are a bit erratic..