PDA

View Full Version : Coolangatta Gold plus a top coat.

Rabbitz
31-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Greetings oh mighty and exhalted guru's.

Trying to work out how many coats of DT Coolangatta Gold I will apply.

The top coats will be Tru-Oil.

The question is, will Tru-Oil darken the gold finish?

I know this is hard to quantify, but if it does is it a lot?

Thanks

(I apologise for the obtuse questions).

Rabz

andrewdosborne
31-05-2015, 09:48 AM
I can't answer the DT question but tru oil will darken the finish. In my recent JP-1M the orange wood dye darkened to a golden honey colour. Not quite the desired effect but still looked good.

Rabbitz
31-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi Andrew,

Ok that's good to know.

I want a fairly dark gold effect, so it might work in my favour.

I have only ever used the oil on natural wood before, so I am not sure about using it over colour.

The mahogany body has similar tones and grain to a piece of oregon I have in the shed, I guess an experiment is in order.

wokkaboy
31-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Hi Rabbitz, what kit/wood is this going on ?
I found about 5 coats of butterscotch was enough and put a few tru oil coats over did darken the colour a little.
You will know when you get enough coats on. You will find Dingotone may darken a little as it cures. So wait a few days before you decide to start clear coats.
This is a LP-1M with the grain popped with black, about 6 coats Coolangatta gold and about 6 coats of TO

Rabbitz
31-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks Wok.

That is similar to the colour I am looking for (minus the pop). I would like it to be a little warmer, hence the gold.

Coincidently it is a LP-1M as well.

The neck has had its first coat of oil, over natural, and looked pretty good while it was wet. So I have high hopes for when it gets it 10 or 12 coats.

What did you do for the back of the body. I am torn between the gold and natural ATM (plus a heap of oil coats for resilience).

wokkaboy
31-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi Rabitz I used a FW jarrah stain back and sides for the contrast. Not sure how gold will go on mahogany, only one way to find out

Rabbitz
31-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I searched out the build thread for the LP-1M of yours.

The jarrah is a little dark for my purposes - I wonder what a golden oak might look like. I hope the bit of oregon is big enough for the tests :)

nDR01d
02-12-2015, 10:13 AM
OK, so surfing through the archives for info on CG and I find this thread... I'm in a similar position to Rabbitz - no black popping elements. I'd like to keep it more yellow than gold. So, Tru-oil darkens it a little bit, but does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the yellow, yellow? Or more yellow-ish than gold? This build, coincidentally is a LP-1MQ. Go figure.

wokkaboy
02-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Hi nDroid,
might be worth you asked DB for a yellow CG rather than gold. TO gives it a slight yellow tint but should be fine.
Someone on the forum recently built or aquired a Slash LP was yellow or gold, can't remember who.
Should look excellent on the quilted maple. Hate how the 'other' factory pre-drills all the holes and its a bolt on neck

Rabbitz
02-12-2015, 12:57 PM
So the unit in question is at:
Build diary
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3847

Skip to page 11 and onwards.

It was one coat of Dingotone Coolangatta Gold colour, two intensifier and three coats of finishing coat. Then a number of very thin, hand rubbed tru-oil coats until I had the satin finish I wanted.

I hope this helps

Rabz

wokkaboy
02-12-2015, 01:13 PM
ah that's right it was you Rabbitz - cheers for posting mate

Rabbitz
02-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Well after all the (dumb) questions I've asked, it's time to pay some of it forward. :)

wokkaboy
02-12-2015, 01:24 PM
haha nah Rabbz, you know the rules here, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask hahah

nDR01d
02-12-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks Rabz. That is a sweet looking gold. I'm after more of a lemony yellow. Like what you got after 1 coat on the LP on page 3, #25. I'd really like it if my QM came up like that. Maybe no intensifier coat and no TO like you used?

dingobass
02-12-2015, 03:58 PM
I can do a yellow.
Just order it as a custom colour and add a note and it shall be done :)

wokkaboy
02-12-2015, 04:00 PM
there you go nDroid, DB will mix you a lemon yellow ! www.too_easy.com

dingobass
02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
That link appears to be broken, Woks :p

nDR01d
02-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Thank you very much DB. Will get around to it as soon as the Ministress of Finance allocates a budget for it ;)

dingobass
02-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Thank you very much DB. Will get around to it as soon as the Ministress of Finance allocates a budget for it ;)

Lucky you :)

Mine is the Minister for War and Finance :p

wazkelly
03-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Lucky you :)

Mine is the Minister for War and Finance :p

Round these parts also known as Leader of the Opposition!

sgriffiths
23-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Gorgeous guitar Wokka! Got any other pictures of it in more detail or other angles?
Also wondering if you've tried that combination (DT + TO) in other colours?

Hugh
23-02-2016, 03:29 PM
Hi Rabbitz, what kit/wood is this going on ?
I found about 5 coats of butterscotch was enough and put a few tru oil coats over did darken the colour a little.
You will know when you get enough coats on. You will find Dingotone may darken a little as it cures. So wait a few days before you decide to start clear coats.
This is a LP-1M with the grain popped with black, about 6 coats Coolangatta gold and about 6 coats of TO

Wow.. great finish on this LP Wokkaboy.. very impressive!!
can I ask what you used on the back/ sides of this guitar??

Ok, forget I asked mate.. I found the answer once I continued reading!! ..either way, looks great mate

wokkaboy
23-02-2016, 03:36 PM
thanks SG and Hugh,
here are a couple more pics, the back/sides/neck are FW Jarrah stain.
Tru oil worked fine over the DT in Coolangatta gold and at least 4 or 5 other colours I've tried

tonyw
23-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Nice looking Gits Wok

wokkaboy
23-02-2016, 03:42 PM
cheers Tony, seems ages ago that build

Bluesmartyboy
30-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Love the colours....
Just took delivery of a LP-1Q kit this week and trying to decide what to do with the Back.....it has a lovely grain so may just run FW Jarrah like you have......just cannot decide what to do with the top...

One question if you do not mind....how much sanding can i get away with.....fearful of rubbing through the quilted top.....

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Hey Bluesy, going on other quilted maple kits the veneers are very thin, so I would do very minimal sanding and with at least 320 grit or higher. Not worth risking sanding through the veneer.
If you are going to pop the grain with a darker colour then certainly no pre-sanding before the dark coat.
Might be safer to do a very light sand of the veneer and go straight down with the stain colour of your choice

Bluesmartyboy
30-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I took your advice.....

very light sand with 320 grit and voila after 1 coat of my special mix of F&W Golden teak with a splash of jarrah mixed in ....
I am one happy bunny.......thing is do i now leave this or rub it back......before Tru Oil....9967
Hey Bluesy, going on other quilted maple kits the veneers are very thin, so I would do very minimal sanding and with at least 320 grit or higher. Not worth risking sanding through the veneer.
If you are going to pop the grain with a darker colour then certainly no pre-sanding before the dark coat.
Might be safer to do a very light sand of the veneer and go straight down with the stain colour of your choice

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 01:12 PM
awesome Bluesy love the colour. I'd leave the top to cure for 2-3 days then start your TO coats. Not worth doing any more sanding on the veneer

Bluesmartyboy
30-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your help and advice.......the level of help here leaves nothing to chance and helps us get things right.....

Jarrah on the back next.....

Just one question......what are the alternatives to give me a deep gloss shine ?

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Hey Bluesy, the TO will give you a nice gloss, but alternatives really are spray cans or a spray gun with nitro or poly

dingobass
30-03-2016, 01:26 PM
Anyone caught mentioning the use of poo oil in conjunction with Dingotone shall be emasculated with two house bricks and banished to the shed behind the Naughty Warehouse....

wokkaboy
30-03-2016, 01:28 PM
bwahahha good one DB, have you noticed on the PBG page when you go to 'Guitar Finishes' tab it has Dingotone and Tru oil underneath haha

Bluesmartyboy has used your other favourite product Feast Watson on his LP anyway

Bluesmartyboy
30-03-2016, 02:35 PM
and with some pretty smicho results as well....so far....:p

bwahahha good one DB, have you noticed on the PBG page when you go to 'Guitar Finishes' tab it has Dingotone and Tru oil underneath haha

Bluesmartyboy has used your other favourite product Feast Watson on his LP anyway

DrNomis_44
30-03-2016, 08:14 PM
I think from memory I applied about four coats of Coolangatta Gold, then three coats of intensifier on the Strat body that came in my kit before I started applying coats of DT Final Coats, I'm currently waiting for the second coat of Final coat to dry before applying the last coat.

I started off with a liberal application of Ebony Timbermate though.

Bluesmartyboy
31-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Keep going DR No....your build is inspiring......