PDA

View Full Version : Bass machine heads- lighter is tighter.

Bass Guy
28-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Hey gang,

As I'm currently ensconced in plugging the holes of the Gloria headstock (see my build thread for progress) I was canvassing opinions on perhaps replacing the PBG machine heads (standard F-style cloverleafs) with a lighter alternative.

The reduced headstock and after-market high mass bridge are designed to give more sustain and overall "ping" to the bass, so adding heavy machine heads at the other end seems a little counter-intuitive. Anyone had noteworthy experience here- good and/or bad?

dingobass
28-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Gotoh Bass tuners are a nice lightweight option.
Not overly expensive and I have not had issues with back lash or tuning instability.

cade711
04-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Slight redirect of this existing thread, if anyone can help advise.
Will these PBG modern tuners fit to a JB-4 headstock without filling or modifying the existing machine holes? As opposed to the vintage tuner that comes stock.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/spare-parts/pbg-bass-tuner-modern-style-chrome-left-1pc/

pablopepper
04-01-2017, 05:39 PM
Hey Cade, unfortunately no, they won't fit. The holes for vintage tuners are 18mm where as the modern sealed style need 12mm (I think) holes.

wazkelly
04-01-2017, 07:25 PM
Yeah, Pabs is correct.

Just checked my EX-5 as it has those smaller style ones and they look to be about 12mm whereas the J Bass with traditional clover leafs has bushings that are most likely covering up around 18mm holes.

Only solution is to plug with dowel and then apply a solid colour on headstock face to hide the mods.

Simon Barden
04-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Traditional Fender large hole size is 11/16", which is around 17.3mm.

Hipshot do some lovely ultralight bass machine heads (HB6) available with Y, clover and lollipop style heads, but they are expensive. https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=108

There is also a licensed (Asian made) version that's still relatively expensive for a set, but almost half-the price. https://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=405

I've got the US version on a Lakland skyline P-bass (plus an added x-tender) and they are very nice indeed.

You'd need the 1/2" version (fits an 11/16" hole) rather than the 3/8" version.

Unfortunately they don't seem to be sold in Australia, so it would have to be an internet order.

wazkelly
05-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Hi Simon, the PBG headstocks already come pre-drilled and on P & J Bass necks it is a fair bet they have the larger hole diameter.

Simon Barden
05-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Waz, you just made me look at the PBG P/JB necks page. I think the info on the page is wrong as they say they are drilled for 10mm holes - which is a guitar-sized tuner hole. The two US standard hole sizes seem to be 9/16" (14.3mm) or 11/16 (17.3mm).

andrewdosborne
05-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Whilst sorting out a bass order earlier I did email Adam about the individually sold PBG bass necks (for J bass). He confirmed they are the same machine head hole diameter as the J bass kit machine head holes

10mm is the size of the F-type guitar kit machine head holes, must be a typo.

I think I'll splash out on some of the Hipshot ultralight tuners.

Simon Barden
05-01-2017, 08:48 PM
I've raised it as a new topic in the feedback section, adding that the hole dimensions for their add-on bass tuners would be nice as well,

cade711
07-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks all for the feedback

Micky
10-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Hey all, I think I have the same issue with some Grover mini bass tuners from PBG, Adam has kindly offered a refund if they don't fit but it's exactly the look I'm going for with my JB kit. Anyone got a solution? Shims or sleeves?

wazkelly
10-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Plug with dowel and re-drill might be the only option.

Big washers under retaining lock nuts on headstock face may hide the mods whilst on the back the size of tuner body is hopefully big enough to disguise what went on underneath.