PDA

View Full Version : The Frankenpester is brought to life!

keloooe
28-05-2015, 09:44 AM
So many of you here know that yesterday was my birthday, and most of you have seen the awesome gift that DB, Wokka, Adam, Popeye and my dad came together to give to me in the morning. Well I think it is now time to start building this beast!

So here's some specs for all of you:
- American Swamp Ash body
- Tassy Blackwood neck and fretboard
- Tonerider pickups (tele bridge, modified P90 middle, Strat neck)
- Custom cavity cover
- Nice bone nut (overhangs a little, nothing a little elbow grease can fix)
- Lots of wiring possibilities

So the plan for now is to stain or fill with black and sand to pop the grain, then go clear over that. I'll look at other possibilities, but I'd prefer to keep it semi-natural looking and I will bring the grain out as much as possible!

For wiring, I have a 5 position rotary switch, a 1meg CTS pot, 2 250K pots, a pair of capacitors, 2 treble bleeds and a 500K blend pot... Any ideas for wiring? I might see how the 1meg sounds with the bridge pup, might sound wicked, might sound shite...

So far, the only problems I have found the tuner holes are a smidge too narrow, nothing a little sanding and drilling can't fix! The cavity is a little too shallow for the switch as well... But still, nothing I can't fix!

Anyway, time for a mock build and some close ups! Loving the third fret "marker" :D

Can't upload pics right now, sorry guys, will be up later when I get home!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Pest couldn't upload the pics of the mock build so here they are

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 09:59 AM
here's the electrics and the case he got

keloooe
28-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Cheers for uploading Wokka!

pablopepper
28-05-2015, 10:13 AM
You even got your rotary switch. Spoiled! What's up with the p90? Looks like a burnt metal finish.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Yeah pabs, a nice, large rotary switch!

dingobass
28-05-2015, 10:16 AM
And here I was thinking I had routed the cavity deep enough for the rotary... Dratt!
It was my intention from the start to make this kit in such a way that the Pest had some, or a lot, of finessing to do..
Idea being to allow Pesty as much lee way as possible so he can mod the body etc to suit his own taste..
Oh well, nothing like a challenge eh Pesty?
Really looking forward to seeing this baby together.

BTW, the P90 was from a 1970's Tokai.:)

keloooe
28-05-2015, 10:20 AM
DB, it's barely too shallow, a couple more mm more and it would be flush! Even with the shallow route, I'll make it fit nicely!

Oooooohhhh 70's P90, should sound wicked! DB, you will like my plan to go natural but pop the grain!

dingobass
28-05-2015, 10:30 AM
No worries Pesty, I was working on six Guitars at the same time so I guess it was easy to miss the shallow rout... Just attack it carefully with a sharp chisel or something and it should be fine....

Pabs, the P90 has a Paua shell laminated top.... Another DB sneaky :)

pablopepper
28-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Cool. Nice touch. Cheers DB.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Yeah DB, small fix! The body is real thick, this thing will be full of sustain and tone! When I see it in the corner of my eye, it reminds me of a natural Chapman ML-1 Hot Rod, hence the grain pop and natural finish!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 10:57 AM
nice plans Pest, looks like you got alot of forumites watching this build with interest.
Glad you are going with the Frankenpester name, can't wait to see a nice Andyport logo on the headstock

keloooe
28-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Yeah Wokka, many people watching this with interest! The Andyport logo WILL look awesome no matter what!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 11:23 AM
I got a feeling this build thread could get a record length, think Barge had the record about 29 pages

keloooe
28-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Haha yeah Wokka, after the LP was like at least 24 pages!

stan
28-05-2015, 12:15 PM
mock build looks awesome, very cool beast

keloooe
28-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Cheers Stan! It is very cool indeed!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 02:32 PM
nice one Stan just realised you are almost half way to being a GAStronomist. If you think the Overlord lounge is cool wait till you see the GAStronomist lounge !

gavinturner
28-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Loving the look of the mock build Callum. Your finishing plan sounds awesome too! A nice natural finish that oozes ash grain. Cool-as. With that pickup combination at your disposal, this is going to be a beast!

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Cheers Gav! I'm thinking of using all three Tele knobs for this, possibly a 1meg volume, with a pair of 250K tone pots? If I go on the route, I'll use the third tone for the P90! Anyway, time to start sanding!

pablopepper
28-05-2015, 03:42 PM
A volume for each pickup and a rotary varitone could be a cool, off the wall idea. Could get a mind boggling amount of sounds from that setup.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Actually Pabs, that is really cool! Will put that into consideration!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 04:01 PM
have a chat with wiring guru Weirdy to see what he recommends. With a switch and 3 pots the options are endless ! - well almost

keloooe
28-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Yep, I just gave Weirdy my list of stuff I can use at my disposal, now it's a waiting game!

Also getting sanding underway, I might even start doing some video updates? Might get one done tonight!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 04:20 PM
what you sent a message via the forum Pest ?

get sanding ASAP Cuz, and crank the gopro show us go through the grits

WeirdBits
28-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I'd be very tempted to lash out on a Freeway 6-way toggle switch (http://www.realparts.com.au/electronics/toggle-switches/freeway-6-way-toggle-switch-nickel.html) instead of using a rotary. Then you could have postions 1, 2 & 3 as the standard Tele style Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Neck, and positions 4, 5 & 6 as the Strat style Bridge + Middle, Middle, Middle + Neck. To top it off I'd add a push-push master volume that would add the middle P90 to position 2 for an 'all on' Pestified setting. I'd probably use the other pots as either a P90 volume and master tone, or one tone for the Tele pups and one tone for the P90... or even a neck/middle tone, bridge tone combo etc. Lots of possibilities.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 04:36 PM
Huh? Anyway before I start creating the biggest, baddest wiring possible, what would you do with the supplied switch and pots Weirdy?

WeirdBits
28-05-2015, 04:48 PM
Just got your PM, having a think about it now.

stan
28-05-2015, 04:49 PM
nice one Stan just realised you are almost half way to being a GAStronomist. If you think the Overlord lounge is cool wait till you see the GAStronomist lounge !

Cool , I'm on the way

keloooe
28-05-2015, 04:50 PM
No need to rush anything Weirdy, take your time!

Nickosaurus
28-05-2015, 07:00 PM
I'd suggest for one of the wiring to make it p90 straight to output. Would sound amazing

keloooe
28-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Would be brighter than the 1meg pot!!! I would like an ultra bright guitar!! :D

keloooe
29-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Right now, I'm on the path of doing the master volume and dual tone controls for simplicity, but I'll see what Weirdy comes up with anyway. Also I plan to have a nice bevel on the body, 10mm in from the edge....

keloooe
29-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Sorry for the third post in a row, can't edit posts right now...

Anyway, with the 4 pole switch I have, it SHOULD be possible to have 2 different tone circuits? I want to have one tone control to be active when in positions 1, 3 and 5, but have the second tone control active in positions 2 and 4.
So looking at the switch, if I wire up the lower deck to be for one tone control, I should be able to use the upper deck as the second tone control???

dingobass
29-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Oh dear.... I have created a monster :)

Its great to see you super exctited by this build Pesty!

keloooe
29-05-2015, 09:09 AM
But then I'll grab some files and throw in an elbow carve along with a belly carve.... THEN I'll bevel the rest of the body, will be much more comfortable and can't slice my arms open!!!

Yes DB, you have created a monster :D

wokkaboy
29-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Oh dear.... I have created a monster :)

Its great to see you super exctited by this build Pesty!

DB, super excited is an understatement. The guy lives and breathes talk of this build.

Sounds great your plans Pest. Keep the ideas coming and the axe coaches will comment !

keloooe
29-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Haha yeah Wokks, this build is very special to me! This thing is really starting to flesh out in my head now, I can really see how it will turn out, and it will be very damn cool!

ihasmario
29-05-2015, 10:18 AM
I posted some rotary wirings on the wiring forum that I devised. Though I was using a single and a humbucker (Treating it as three single coils), so it might not be worth a lot to you.

keloooe
29-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Ok mario, I'll check it out later today!

stan
29-05-2015, 04:30 PM
some big plans Pest, should be very cool indeed

Nickosaurus
29-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Gonna be rad.

EDIT:

rad rod!

keloooe
29-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Cheers Stan and Nick!

Okay, so today got a few more hours in build time. I have sanded the body to 120 grit and drew all the lines for carving tomorrow, right after I get back from picking up some files. Also started sanding the neck down to 120, will probably finish that off tomorrow and I also got some holes drilled, will do the rest when I can enlarge the tuner holes and get my new drill bits.

Pics will be up tomorrow, tomorrow arvo will be quite fun!

WeirdBits
29-05-2015, 05:05 PM
With the 4 pole 5-pos switch, yes it's possible to have two different tone circuits or groupings. But, the first question is what pickup combo's do you want? The complexity of the pickup switching will affect what we can do with the tone switching. For pickup options, individual Bridge, Middle and Neck is a given, but what do you want for the other two switch positions?

a. Bridge + Middle, Middle + Neck (only one would be hum cancelling)
b. Bridge + Neck, Bridge + Middle + Neck

Depending on how the P90 is wound it should give you hum cancelling when combined with one of the other pickups, but can't say which without some testing. Also, the output from the P90 may dominate the Tele pups... do they have a resistance marked on them?

If you went for option 'b' above, we could maybe do a Master Volume, Balance (Bridge/Neck), Master Tone, with a couple of different caps for the different positions. In position 4 the balance would allow you to adjust the Bridge/Neck ratio, and in position 5 it would allow you to control how much of the Bridge and Neck is added to the P90. That is, you could have full Bridge, P90 and Neck, or 0% Bridge, full P90 and full Neck, or full Bridge, full P90 and 50% Neck etc.

Or, option 'b' but with Master Volume, P90 Volume, Master Tone, and a couple of cap options. This may be a good option if the P90 is a little loud compared to the other pups.

Or, either option but with Master Volume and a couple of tone controls for different pickups or positions. Or, something else entirely. It all depends on what you want and what you think would be best and most useful for you.

keloooe
29-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Ummmm.... Can you translate that into English? :D

The original plan was to go option a, but I do not know the resistance of the pickups, will let you know tomorrow once I get myself a multimeter. All the above options do sound nice...... Will have to draw up some pretty little charts to compare them all!!!

Also, quick question to all about the grain pop. Is it easier to use Timbermate to pop the grain or is it easier to use a stain?

And before I forget (again), when is the best time to pop the grain? I have only sanded once at 120.

dingobass
29-05-2015, 06:21 PM
This is gunna be AWESOME!
Really digging the idea of the elbow and tummy cuts.

Was thinking that you may be able to put a hand cut on the lower horn to neck heel?
With the modified neck heel that would make getting to those ultra high notes a dream :)

The Frankeshredpester :P

wokkaboy
29-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Plans sound cool Pest. I Was at the DB man Cave this arvo and saw the body Blank the body was cut from with some DT yellow looks great on that grain

dingobass
29-05-2015, 06:44 PM
The new formula Butterscotch.... Soon to be released...

keloooe
29-05-2015, 07:28 PM
DB, what do you mean by hand cut? And yes this will be awesome if I can pull it off :D
Yeah Woks the grain in this ash is awesome, looks even better with the new butterscotch formula! I can hear and feel DB's excitement from here, I'm taking finesse to the next level now!

stan
29-05-2015, 08:01 PM
by a hand cut I think he means like the cutaway on the bottom horn of a Chapman or similar

Like on this so you can get to the high notes easier:

http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Total%20Guitar/242/chapman-ml2-630-80.jpg

dingobass
29-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Thats exactly it Stan :)

wokkaboy
29-05-2015, 11:26 PM
wow Stan that axe belongs in the beautiful axe thread !
I think Pest has the idea of final shaping

keloooe
30-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Haha Stan, yeah that is what I thought from hand cut, dunno if I'll do one, but maybe down the track I might!

Ok so here are the pics of the areas of which I'll carve away. Today will definitely be interesting... Also be sure to like my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/kellysgutiars

wokkaboy
30-05-2015, 09:08 AM
markups looks good Pest, see if you can draw a more even curved line and one solid line to follow.
How are you shaping this with a file/rasp ? A belt sander will make light work of the cuts or an orbital with 40 grit paper.
Wow page 6 already this will be a monster build diary !

keloooe
30-05-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't have an orbital or belt sander Wokka, the lines are only to guide, I will fix it all up as I go. I'll be using some files and rasps to do my carving, should be very fun!

So when I finish lunch I'll head out and go to the big green shed (sorry DB, but it's a lot easier if I do) to get the files, rasps, some timbermate, new drill bits and a clamp. Then just down the road to Altronics (like 500m away from Bunnings) to get a multimeter and finally off to Sky Music (again, just down the road) to get some new guitar leads...

Due to the jack plate being a bit close to the edges, I might not do the full bevel as planned, but I'll simple round the edges off with a small diameter, the other two carves will definitely go ahead as planned!

dingobass
30-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Noice :)........

keloooe
30-05-2015, 01:17 PM
The point of no return.... Wish me luck everyone!

dave.king1
30-05-2015, 02:48 PM
G'day Pesty,

Love what you are doing here, but please get the transitions for the cuts clean.

The angular way they are done on kits really hurts my eyes and I feel they leave the guitar looking unfinished.

I'm on hols at the moment with some friends and took a $60.00 eBay Strat along so I could work on stuff while the wives are out walking, the forearm cut is smooth but the belly cut is horrible. Doesn't affect the playability but does look quite ordinary.

My Strat build has had the cuts smoothed right out with some 80 grit in a palm sander and then hand sanded up to 600 before staining

keloooe
30-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I actually don't mind the angular belly carve Dave, the forearm carve will be more rounded...

keloooe
30-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Alrighty so I got the pickups tested.... Here's my results

Bridge: 8.7k
Middle: 5.8-5.9k
Neck: 6.1k

Hopefully Weirdy can come up with a neato diagram for this setup!

WeirdBits
30-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Excellent, those values look like they'll match nicely given the P90 will be a bit fatter. I've sketched out a couple of ideas, I'll draw them up properly when i get a chance.

I wonder what the polarity on the P90 is... what colour are its wires?

keloooe
30-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I'll get back to you on that one Weirdy.... Especially since it is from a 45 year old guitar.... Should be fun having the triple pup setup!

keloooe
31-05-2015, 12:37 PM
There is no progress update today everyone, got a whole load of study, might get some work done tomorrow arvo, the next two weeks I'll have more time up my sleeve...

andrewdosborne
01-06-2015, 07:30 PM
I need to thank you for some inspiration, my TLA-1 project was slowing down a lot.. Back on track with a nice arm cut to make things a bit more comfortable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeirdBits
01-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Ok Pest, I've got some diagrams for you... 5 of them in fact. These are just some ideas using the bits you have available, but if you have a particular combo of the features you want just let me know. All have a treble-bleed on the master volume.

Option 1: Master Volume, selected Bridge/Neck balance, Master Tone (revision 2).
Balance pots can potentially suck some highs out of your tone, so this is wired so the balance pot only affects the Bridge and Neck in positions 4 and 5, in positions 1, 2 & 3 it has no effect. It allows you to go from 0<->100% Bridge with 100% Neck, or 0<->100% Neck with 100% Bridge in position 4, and adds the middle P90 as well in position 5. This means in position 5 you can have Bridge/Middle or Middle/Neck combos by turning the balance all the way to one side or the other, or part thereof, or all three pups with the balance in the centre. Very versatile (probably my favourite), but needs all 4 poles on the switch so no tone/cap switching.

Option 2: Master Volume, Bridge/Neck balance, Master Tone with switched caps.
Similar to option 1, but the balance pot applies to all Bridge and/or Neck positions. For example, if you have the balance pot set at 75% Bridge 100% Neck then the Bridge will be at 75% in position 1, 4 and 5 etc. The cap switching is set so that any positions with the P90 get a 0.022uF cap, and Tele pup only positions get the 0.047uF cap (easy to change the caps around on the switch if needed).

Option 3: Master Volume, Middle/(Bridge, Neck) balance, Master Tone.
This one has the balance pot set up with the P90 on one half, and whichever of the currently selected Tele pups on the other half. So, if you have the balance set at 100% P90 and 75% 'other' it will give you 75% Bridge in position 1, 75% Neck in position 3, and 75% Bridge + Neck in positions 4 & 5. Or, the reverse, set it to 50% P90 and you'll have 50% P90 in positions 2 and 5 with 100% on the Tele pups in positions 1, 3, 4 & 5. Again, this needs all the poles on the switch so no tone/cap switching.

Option 4: Master Volume, positional Tone Controls.
Basically, Strat-style pickup combos with two non-overlapping tone controls that are selected by position. Positions 1, 2 & 3 get tone control 1 and positions 4 & 5 get tone 2. Easy to change which tone controls affect which positions etc.

Option 5: Master Volume, Middle Volume, two cap balance pot Master Tone.
DON'T TRY THIS ONE. Basically, it has the same Strat-style pickup combos are the last option but with a middle volume that only affects the P90. This would be useful if the P90 tends to drown out your other pups. The crazy part of this design is the balance pot tone. It has a different cap on each half of the pot; turn it one way and you get an 0.022uF tone, turn it the other and you get the 0.047uF. The interaction is a bit more complex than that and I'm sure the learned EE's among us can explain why it's a bad idea. In practice, it's a very 'peaky' tone control with very gradual tone changes for 95% each side and then a big whack of tone at the end... but not necessarily in a bad way. Not so good for clean tones, but I kind of like it with a good bit of distortion. However, I've only tried this as an external circuit to an already wired guitar... I've included it for fun but wouldn't recommend it (I wanted to find another use for your balance pot). This diagram would be better with either a standard tone pot, or a push/push tone if you wanted to switch caps.

That enough to keep you busy? Let me know if you want some other variants or need help following the layouts.

keloooe
02-06-2015, 07:04 AM
That enough to keep you busy? Let me know if you want some other variants or need help following the layouts.

Haha cheers Weirdy, more than enough to keep me busy planning the wiring! Thanks!

I literally had to go out into the garage and grab my control plate to decode your madness! Currently, option 1 seems the best to my needs, but option 2 might be a possibility.....

keloooe
02-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Okay, update time! Did some carving last night and this morning. I won't be doing as much carving as I planned, but what I have so far (and what I still plan to do) will suffice as I want this to be a different carve profile. Pics up probably after lunch!

Nickosaurus
02-06-2015, 09:10 AM
What an asset you are for us Weirdy - awesome work.

Can't wait to see your carves Pest.

wokkaboy
02-06-2015, 09:44 AM
well done Weirdy spending all that time providing 5 diagrams, sure one of them will suit Pests requirements

stan
02-06-2015, 01:02 PM
this will be a beast Pest!

Weirdy - you are the wiring king

keloooe
02-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Curvy! The bevels are supposed to be pretty subtle, but adds to the effect of the curves! Loving this shape, will get a pic of the front carve up whenever possible, but for now I have a bunch of sanding to do! The smaller carve profiles I am starting to like more than the full carves, will be fun to have these carves sanded! Also ordered the Dingotone, will be here soon!

wokkaboy
02-06-2015, 01:50 PM
looking good Pest. Keep sanding those edges to try get a uniform curved edge

keloooe
02-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah I'm now finishing the edges off, I enjoyed the small finessing I did to the body, really make it an axe of my own! Can't wait to get this baby sanded down to 400 and start the finishing process!

keloooe
08-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Time for a well deserved update!

So far the body and neck are sanded to 120 grit, started sanding at 180 grit and I have finished the carving. I did a mock build, everything fits nicely but I stripped one of the screw heads for the string trees... DANGIT! Anyway, everything fits nicely so big thumbs up!

I will go ahead with Weirdy's first wiring option, will probably start the wiring tomorrow so when I finish this beast off I'll only have to do the pups and the jack, so only 8 wires to do and will save some time in the long run!

I have done the carving that was intended, but I might add in a Chapman style carve into the mix... But the fear of messing it up might stop me..... I'll have a good think about it tonight and tomorrow..... Pictures won't be up until I can get my hands on the camera, but for now she is looking to be a ripper of a build!

wokkaboy
08-06-2015, 01:56 PM
look forward to photos Pest !

Nickosaurus
08-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Have a go mate! You only learn through doing. Practice on some scrap before you go the real thing.

stan
08-06-2015, 06:17 PM
great progress Pest, looking forward to seeing how this ends up

keloooe
08-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Yeah Stan, I'm also looking forward to see how this turns up! Still no pics to show but I'll say there is now a new carve. Isn't a massive one but at my playing height it is really easy to hit the 21st fret so it will be fun to play!

stan
08-06-2015, 07:00 PM
sounds cool mate, keep up the good work

D.K
08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
sounding awesome, like all the work you're doing can't wait to see some photos

vh2580
08-06-2015, 08:41 PM
Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Stripping screws is always a pain in the butt.

keloooe
09-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Ok, here are the pics as promised!

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 09:25 AM
looking good Pest, subtle carves but they will look good once the finish is on. Bit more sanding to go cuz !

keloooe
09-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Yeah subtle but that is what I am going for! Got some sanding to do indeed, looks like the carves are nice and smooth so I can continue with 180.

andrewdosborne
09-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Coming along nicely Pest. Nice curves, I esp. like the one in the lower horn. Did you deal with the striped screw OK?

keloooe
09-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Thanks Andrew, no I have not solved my screw problem yet, I tried the classic rubber band trick and all I managed to do was rip the rubber band in half....

wokkaboy
09-06-2015, 10:06 AM
nice new Avatar there cuz! Next week you can change it to a bottle of tru oil to get more time in the naughty warehouse haha

stan
09-06-2015, 11:13 AM
looking good pest!

WeirdBits
19-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Pest, if you haven't done your wiring yet hold off for the moment. I was thinking about how to do a better version of the option 1 layout and realised there's a flaw in the original one I posted (it would still work but the balance would have an impact where shouldn't). I'll draw up the revised/improved/fixed version later tonight. Sorry.

keloooe
19-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Hey Weirdy, all I have done so far is wire up a treble bleed, that's all!
Ok so no update for a while as I had exams, but I am trying to squeeze in sanding whenever possible (screw is still stuck, BUGGA!!!) and the body is now down to 220 grit, still got a looooooong way to go in this build!

dingobass
19-06-2015, 08:03 PM
Try attacking that busted screw with your soldering iron cranked right up..

Hold the tip on the screw and heat it until it starts to smoke, let it cool down and try the rubber band trick again.

keloooe
19-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Cheers for the tip DB, will attempt tomorrow! My list of things to be sent here is getting bigger each day..... But anyway, I won't be doing mock builds for a while.... Just in case I destroy ANOTHER screw :D

bargeloobs
19-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Try attacking that busted screw with your soldering iron cranked right up..

Hold the tip on the screw and heat it until it starts to smoke, let it cool down and try the rubber band trick again.

Sorry to hijack here, you just reminded me of something with the "heat up" trick. I've got a rabbiting bit stuck in my router and I'm afraid it's there for life. I cant push the locking button in enough to hold the collet, that nut just don't wanna budge. Any ideas man?
The only thing I can think is to run it in timber until the nut is hot enough to possibly come loose. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

keloooe
19-06-2015, 08:14 PM
If the nut comes loose and the bit comes off it won't end well at all Barge.... And no worries about the hijack, gets me closer to breaking your record of pages!

bargeloobs
19-06-2015, 08:17 PM
If the nut comes loose and the bit comes off it won't end well at all Barge.... And no worries about the hijack, gets me closer to breaking your record of pages!
What does that even mean? The goddam nut ain't comin' off I assure you of that. It's stuck like poop to a bedspread.

dingobass
19-06-2015, 11:12 PM
oh great, the old seized up router collet.... Bugga.
Had the same drama and how I got mine out was to get the trusty vicegrips onto the bit.
I also gave it a good squirt of WD40.
You should be able to get that nut loose, means destroying the bit but that has to be cheaper than buying a new router.

WeirdBits
19-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Pest, here's the revised Option 1 diagram (I've also updated it in the original post). It still has the same switching/options as before, but now all the pickups connect directly to the switch which then controls what goes to/from the balance pot. This fixes the balance pot issue and simplifies the wire routing a bit. It should all work as intended now.
http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3633&d=1434724749

(wow, that 97KB limit really is a pain... even these relatively simple wiring images start to look mangled when you compress them down that far)

dave.king1
20-06-2015, 06:45 AM
What does that even mean? The goddam nut ain't comin' off I assure you of that. It's stuck like poop to a bedspread.

Try Loctite Freeze & Release, it's brilliant for getting stubborn metal to metal fasteners even badly rusted ones undone

keloooe
20-06-2015, 07:48 AM
@Weirdy, cheers mate, I have now downloaded the new diagram and deleted the old one!

stan
20-06-2015, 09:04 PM
Send it to NASA Pest, they are the only ones who can wire this (and Weirdy...)

keloooe
20-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Send it to NASA Pest, they are the only ones who can wire this (and Weirdy...)

Yeah Stan, this will be interesting to see how I get all this done without going insane!

bargeloobs
21-06-2015, 05:28 AM
oh great, the old seized up router collet.... Bugga.
Had the same drama and how I got mine out was to get the trusty vicegrips onto the bit.
I also gave it a good squirt of WD40.
You should be able to get that nut loose, means destroying the bit but that has to be cheaper than buying a new router.

Nooooo, it's my you beaut Stew Mac binding bit too, damn thing almost cost me more than the router:-(
I might just keep squirting WD40 in there and hopefully it penetrates enough to work loose.

bargeloobs
21-06-2015, 05:32 AM
Try Loctite Freeze & Release, it's brilliant for getting stubborn metal to metal fasteners even badly rusted ones undone
Ahhh yes, I'd never heard of this stuff. Cheers man I'll definitely give it a go:-)

wokkaboy
21-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I got a router with the same problem Barge, can't loosen the collet nut, let me know if the loctite works bro !
Another thead hijack Pest loves it makes his thread bigger haha

Nickosaurus
21-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Wd40 doesnt really penetrate though.. be better to find some penetrating oil from a car parts shop I reckon.

keloooe
21-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Another thead hijack Pest loves it makes his thread bigger haha

Haha yeah Wokka, 11 pages now!

keloooe
16-08-2015, 12:50 PM
UPDATE TIME!

So due to a shiteload of general life stuff I haven't had much time to work on the axe but I have changed my finish plans. Now I feel a Coolangatta Gold / Outback Sunset burst would be pretty damn cool on this axe, fingers crossed I can pull it off!
For top coats I will probably mix up some linseed oil and turps to make up my own finish and I'll see if I can get a test coat done on the LP build tonight...

stan
16-08-2015, 05:21 PM
those neck pics you sent look great Pest, stick them up here mate

keloooe
16-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Can't upload pics from my phone Stan will do ASAP

keloooe
16-08-2015, 08:09 PM
So I finally got some finish on something!!! The pictures are right after hanging the neck up with a coat of linseed oil on the neck and fretboard. Looks so nice in person, has a shade a lot more like mahogany than blackwood which is really cool!

Also note my super high tech drying system, just a portable washing line thingo with a 3.5mm brass hook screwed into the neck joint screw hole, also works for bodies if you do it in the strap button holes and it taps the holes too which is an added bonus!!!

So I have decided I will go with the DT burst and my top coats will go as follows (body and neck will be the same)
Coats 1 and 2: Linseed oil
Coats 3 and 4: 50:50 Linseed oil / turpentine
Final: DT wax

Hope to get better pictures up tomorrow arvo, the neck is now hanging in my room in my wardrobe as it has been touch dry for a bit, having it in my room now makes me room smell nice, I do like the scent of linseed oil :D

dingobass
16-08-2015, 09:08 PM
In the interests of OH&S, I strongly reccomend that you use Gum Terpentine....
Mineral Terpentine is toxic and may lead to some serious health issues down the track as it is a cumalative poison.
That shite wont ever leave your body......

Nickosaurus
16-08-2015, 09:16 PM
Looking great Pest. Get some colour on the body!

keloooe
16-08-2015, 09:21 PM
In the interests of OH&S, I strongly reccomend that you use Gum Terpentine....
Mineral Terpentine is toxic and may lead to some serious health issues down the track as it is a cumalative poison.
That shite wont ever leave your body......

Don;t worry DB, I have Gum turps, not mineral turps, I aready know about the issues with mineral turps!
Cheers for the words Nicko, will get colour on the ash ASAP!

bargeloobs
17-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Looking fricken choice bro!

andrewdosborne
17-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Nice one Pest, looking good. I was wondering where the Frankenpester was up to! Also wise words from DB, I've just used up the last of my mineral turps never to be replaced again....

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 10:52 AM
looking good Pest, glad this build is up and running again !

keloooe
17-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Better pics, second coat of linseed was applied today

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 02:28 PM
nice one Pest looking good cuz

keloooe
17-08-2015, 02:47 PM
@Wokka @Nick @barge cheers lads, really enjoying the colour!

andrewdosborne
17-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Loving the black grain through the neck.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 03:06 PM
hey Chips did you hand out many traffic fines over the weekend ?

keloooe
17-08-2015, 03:22 PM
@Chips cheers Chips! I'm loving the grain too!
@Wokka, I think I saw him at my local Bunnings handing out a few fines, looks more busy than the rozzers during the Xmas holidays!!

andrewdosborne
17-08-2015, 06:04 PM
hey Chips did you hand out many traffic fines over the weekend ?
Nope, I was a customer at the green shed! Cut a long story short the better half had a girls 'lunch' that went on for 9 hours so I packed the troops off to the green shed (sausage sizzle for lunch). We then sorted out an outdoor wood burning arrangement for the naughty warehouse NSW branch!

wokkaboy
17-08-2015, 06:30 PM
nice one Chips, a 9 hour lunch has got to be a record !

Keep the thread jacking going mate !

stan
17-08-2015, 06:58 PM
nice natural finish, great job Pest. Your building is getting so much better too, nice work

andrewdosborne
17-08-2015, 07:58 PM
nice one Chips, a 9 hour lunch has got to be a record !

Keep the thread jacking going mate !

Ha, yep. Not much jack'n in the past few days as I've actually done some guitar building!

gavinturner
17-08-2015, 08:40 PM
Looking great Callum! That grain on the neck is awesome.

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
17-08-2015, 08:50 PM
@Stan cheers mate, yeah I can see massive improvements in my building, only can keep getting better!
@Gav cheers, yeah I'm loving the neck too!

Ok so another update! Got the body sanded and since I had nothing else to do for the next two hours I thought I might as well start on the grain pop. Will sand back tomorrow (hopefully) and chuck up a few more pics! Also got another coat on the neck and good news that DB will be sending me my Dingotone order soon!!!!

keloooe
02-12-2015, 07:24 PM
So after a bunch of thinking and with the postal service not cooperating very much, I decided to set on a linseed oil finish. This is what it looks like after the first coat which I will let out to dry and the colour will become much more consistent as more coats are applied!

Swanny
02-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Just had a read through your build... good job! That's looking great with the filing and carving!

Why does Aussie Post let you down, though? I've never missed out on a delivery... touch basswood...

wokkaboy
02-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Looking good Pest. Nice to see this build Back on track.
Maybe Oz Post intercepted the DT and are using it on their guitar builds

dingobass
02-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Its got me beat... There have been a few parcels I have posted that have gotten missplaced by AP.....
Not happy, Jan.

keloooe
03-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Alrighty so here's the colour this morning, it is much more yellow in person which is pretty cool IMO!

@Swanny, I'm annoyed because DB sent out some Dingotone to me and we couldn't work out where it has ended up...

wokkaboy
03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
looking good Pest. Still majorly puzzled why the chunk between neck pocket and neck pup cavity has mysteriously broken off, wonder if that was the transport company. It was in one piece when it left Perth

andrewdosborne
03-12-2015, 07:34 AM
Nice one Pest and good to see this is back on track. Shame about the DT that's gone awol, but, your choice of finish will show off this lovely piece of ash in all its glory!

keloooe
03-12-2015, 07:45 AM
looking good Pest. Still majorly puzzled why the chunk between neck pocket and neck pup cavity has mysteriously broken off, wonder if that was the transport company. It was in one piece when it left Perth

Well Woks it is now counted as character!

Nice one Pest and good to see this is back on track. Shame about the DT that's gone awol, but, your choice of finish will show off this lovely piece of ash in all its glory!

Ahhh cheers Ponch! DB definitely did pick a very nice chunk of tree!

pablopepper
03-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Hey bro, What's all the orange in the grain? That wasn't there before was it?

keloooe
03-12-2015, 08:20 AM
Hey bro, What's all the orange in the grain? That wasn't there before was it?

I believe it is the linseed oil colouring the wood!

keloooe
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Finished the wiring and got the second coat of oil on today!

wokkaboy
05-12-2015, 02:49 PM
pretty neat wiring Pest ! did you test it ?

keloooe
05-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Haha cheers Wokka, definitely hard doing it neatly to fit in the cavity! Haven't tested yet, will hopefully temporarily hook up some pickups and do a tap test tomorrow! I hope it all goes well because I do not want to rip up that wiring and redo anything, it is just so complex!

WeirdBits
05-12-2015, 04:57 PM
I take no responsibility... unless it works.

andrewdosborne
05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Good job Pest neat wiring. I'm sure it will fire up ok!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

stan
05-12-2015, 05:17 PM
nice job man, this will rock

keloooe
05-12-2015, 06:22 PM
I take no responsibility... unless it works.

Thanks for the "encouragement" Weirdy :P

Good job Pest neat wiring. I'm sure it will fire up ok!

Cheers Ponch, after checking multiple times on each joint, it should fire up nicely, glad I spotted a missing wire today and not when I go to plug it in for the first time! And it's neat thanks to a pair of zip ties holding the longer wires together and then anchored down to the tone pot wires otherwise it would be much more difficult fitting it all in the cavity!

nice job man, this will rock

Cheers Stan I hope it does rock when plugged in!

keloooe
09-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Update time for today! So I did some pickup surgery today, found that the ground on the up had ripped clean and was a pain to get back on so I removed the black wire completely and then got the internals from a wire which I turned into a thicker wire with a rope like fashion which was bridged to the ground plate from the pickup coil then reattached the black wire. Pics up tomorrow.

Also applied the third and final coat of oil. Now will wait for a few weeks to fully cure then hit it with the sealer and then top coats. Will I still need the sealer or could I actually just get away with the spray top coats?

keloooe
12-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Three coats down, two to go!

wokkaboy
12-12-2015, 11:04 AM
looking good Pest, getting a yellow colour

45 posts to the 3k club

keloooe
12-12-2015, 11:06 AM
looking good Pest, getting a yellow colour

45 posts to the 3k club

Yeah Woks, wood looks a little aged now, really does start to look like a Rat Rod!
You mean 44 posts :D

DrNomis_44
12-12-2015, 11:48 AM
Looking great so far Keloooe, once the guitar is up and running post some pics of it for us.

keloooe
12-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Looking great so far Keloooe, once the guitar is up and running post some pics of it for us.

Don't you worry Nomis, plenty of pics will be up! Will even do some video demos!

DrNomis_44
12-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Don't you worry Nomis, plenty of pics will be up! Will even do some video demos!

Cool...looking forward to checking them out.

keloooe
12-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Cool...looking forward to checking them out.

Same here!
Ok so I have applied what is now the final coat of oil, it didn't really want to take that much in, so I guess this is the final stretch. No more pics will be put up until the reveal :)

andrewdosborne
12-12-2015, 03:00 PM
The anticipation is building pest looking forward to seeing this cranked up and running!

gavinturner
12-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Looking great dude, she's really coming along now.

cheers,
Gav.

keloooe
12-12-2015, 07:31 PM
The anticipation is building pest looking forward to seeing this cranked up and running!

Haha cheers Ponch I'm excited to hear her roar to life!

Looking great dude, she's really coming along now.

Cheers Gav! That's pretty much the final colour