PDA

View Full Version : Guitarists you'd love to meet in person.

DrNomis_44
28-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, which guitarists you'd love to meet in person if you had the chance?, here's my list of the ones I'd love to meet:

1, Angus Young, from AC/DC.

2, Malcom Young, also from AC/DC.

3, Eric Johnson.

4, Dave Mustaine, from Megadeth.

5, Joe Satriani, from Chickenfoot.

6, Tony Iommi, from Black Sabbath.

keloooe
28-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I have personally met Nita Strauss when Motley Crue came here recently, back in 2013 I also met Muse when they played here too! Wicked awesome when you can meet your idol/s! My list of axe players to meet is too long to post here!!!

wokkaboy
28-05-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm with Pest the list of guitarists I'd love to meet is too long to list. I would love to meet all the players in your list DrNomis.
A few of the guitarists I'd love to meet aren't around anymore (Hendrix, SRV, BB King, Randy Rhoads)
I saw on TV lastnight Angus Young was in the crowd at the French Open Federer match.

DrNomis_44
28-05-2015, 10:22 AM
Just realized that I should have added ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to my list, he's cool.

Fretworn
28-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Roine Stolt
Alan Morse
John Mitchell
Steven Wilson
Guthrie Govan
Mike Oldfield

pablopepper
28-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Dave Grohl, Ed O'Brien, Brent Hinds, Troy Sanders, Les Claypool, David Gilmore. All these seem to be genuinely friendly, funny guys that I seriously respect and could see myself getting along with.

Nickosaurus
28-05-2015, 02:40 PM
I've met Guthrie before after a gig but I'd love to have a proper chat with him.

Would love to also meet Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Nick Johnston, Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Josh Homme, Tim from Protest the Hero, Josh Smith...

I think this list is getting too long already!

dave.king1
29-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Redd Volkaert
Albert Lee ( share a birthdate but sadly not the talent )
James Wilsey
Bill Kirchen
Vince Gill
James Burton

Guess there's a bit of a country influence there and no humbuckers ( Vince does play an LP occasionally and a jazz box with the Time Jumpers )

Edited to add:-
Guthrie Trapp
Rory Gallagher ( hopefully a real long wait for this one )

Stuie French ( who I have met and jammed with, fabulous player and great bloke )

Fretworn
29-05-2015, 11:13 AM
I've met Guthrie before after a gig but I'd love to have a proper chat with him.

Would love to also meet Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Nick Johnston, Misha Mansoor, Tosin Abasi, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, Josh Homme, Tim from Protest the Hero, Josh Smith...

I think this list is getting too long already!

Now I'm imagining having a discussion with Joe Pass and Tosin Abasi and Josh Homme at the same time, just need to throw in Paco Pena or Segovia in there to really mess with everyone's heads....

stan
29-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Joe Satriani
Mark Knopfler
Larry Carlton
Steve Lukather
Al De Meola
John Williams
Angus Young
Billy Gibbons
Tommy Emmanuel

stan
29-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Have seen Paco Pena in concert, very cool

Nickosaurus
29-05-2015, 04:58 PM
Actually yeah Emmanuel (both brothers) would be great to have a chat with. Saw them once in QLD during their blues festival. So cool

stan
29-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I've seen Tommy live in concert, way better than I expected, awesome player

Actually Phil is very good as well

dave.king1
30-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Actually Phil is very good as well

Something of an understatement, my band played along side his on many occasions in the 1970s he's up there amongst the best and a really decent human being who does a lot to support young guys.

( Tommy played drums in Phil's band Goldrush )

Brendan
30-05-2015, 10:29 AM
I think Paul Kelly and Darren Hanlon for me... As for bass players...not sure - while it would be cool to meet the standard Jaco, Wooten, Bootsy, Flea, Sting, etc - I'd be keen to find someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously and has fun with their music.

dave.king1
30-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Good call on bass players Brendon.

I can think of three straight up who would be really cool to have a beer or three with and learn a bit.

Greg Lake ( would be good to understand the dynamics of playing with Robert Fripp )
Dee Murray ( loved his tone with Elton John )
Tal Wilkenfield ( good perve material as well as being a hell of a player )

Nickosaurus
30-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Tal is such a great player. I'd also love to meet Steve Harris too.

Fretworn
01-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Have seen Paco Pena in concert, very cool

Yeah, I saw him in the Sydney Opera House with Leo Kottke and Slava Grigoryan.

Saw the Emmanuel Brother back in 87, or 88, it was a really late gig as they had been doing a telethon that night and they didn't get there until about midnight. Really wild night.

I want to add Sel Balamir and Steve Durose from Amplifier to my list as well.