PDA

View Full Version : Setting the neck

Island_Moose
28-05-2015, 05:55 AM
Good day,

I have elected to install the glue-in neck on my "Starcaster" prior to finishing, both because the neck installed will assist with finishing, but also because the timber that joins to the neck at the sides cannot be properly mated/blended until the 2 are joined.

So....I ask the following question, in measuring from the 12th fret wire to the bridge saddles, I need to estimate the position of those saddles without the bridge in place (I can place it over the holes and estimate the position of the saddles screwed toward the neck most of the way), but I'd like to run a piece of tape between the two bridge holes, scribe a line through the centers of the 2 holes, and then mark a point slightly ahead of this centreline toward the neck (representing the saddles - I think the offset from the bridge centreline/centreline of the 2 holes, to the saddles screwed forward, is about 4mm).

Is this accepted practice? Most information references measuring to the actual saddles, which is impossible unless I drive the saddle posts down into the timber prior to sanding/finishing, which I don't want to do.

Finally, I will check the orientation of the neck's centreline in relation to the body, but there is 'zero' play in the join...I am hoping the factory tolerances are spot on.

John

Island_Moose
28-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Just found this thread:

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=3629&p=72051&viewfull=1#post72051

It suggests vinyl tubing to mimic the bridge post inserts...genius.

Island_Moose
31-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I have set the neck in place after some work on the fit, this is a dry fit, measuring against the bridge set temp in place.
Measure from the nut to the 12th fret wire is 314mm. 314mm from the fret wire to the centre of the bridge lands 5mm from the front face of the bridge. On the D string bridge if it is screwed all the way forward.
There is 2-3mm between the neck pickup opening and the neck.
Is this acceptable?

gavinturner
31-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Moose, I would personally use the stewmac fret position calculator. It will tell you the distance to the centre of each TOM bridge post from the nut, and therefore allow you to seat your neck perfectly.

https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Also, when gluing the neck it is advisable to install the bridge and the two E strings to make sure that the action with the bridge at its lowset adjustment gives you string heights at the 22nd fret that are just touching the frets. This will allow you to achieve a good action after glueing. It's possible that you might need to shim the neck during gluing and you wont know this without the bridge to show you. Better to know now than later! I built 2 set neck kits with dissapointing action before finally getting the procedureright, and it's a real buzz kill!

cheers,
Gav.

Island_Moose
02-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Gavin, the Starcaster-inspired kit uses a floating style end, I was hoping to avoid having to actually install it before finishing, but I think there's no way to avoid this if I want to ensure the neck alignment.
I presume a strong clamp will hold the neck in place while I run the 2 E strings to check the alignment and angle.
A nearly full-mock-up is obviously required.