PDA

View Full Version : Forum Community Tool Share

Swinging Beef
26-05-2015, 01:26 PM
Sorry if this is out of line, but on other forums I'm on, it's common place to loan or hire tools for beginners.

So, at the risk of sounding like a tight gastard, does anyone have any frett files they would like to loan or hire in Sydney or Wollongong region?

wokkaboy
26-05-2015, 01:50 PM
sure someone can help you out SB in the area
What files you after for crowning frets or cleaning up fret ends ?

keloooe
26-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Yeah there should be someone in the Syd / 'Gong region who can help a bit, I built two guitars with just a soldering iron, screwdriver, ruler, coping saw, some sandpaper and a small paintbrush, the list of absolute essentials is pretty small! I'd still grab some of my own tools for better work of the guitar and also to help get it set up nicely.

Swinging Beef
27-05-2015, 07:25 AM
I havent addressed the frets yet, but I was under the impression a good fret dress and clean up made all the difference.
It has done on my old Fender's in the past.

Ill knock it together first and ask the question again later.

I guess I really just wondered if there was a section of this forum for that type of request and how the $$ deposit loan situation worked here.

stan
27-05-2015, 02:07 PM
this sort of trading isn't set up here.

At the risk of sounding mean, can I offer another suggestion in regards to borrowing tools?

Everyone here is awesome, but there is the possibility that arrangements like this can go south.

How about you simply put in a request for someone in your area to help with a specific task:

That way no tools get permanently borrowed, you will meet a fellow member, you get the job done and might learn a new trick. No one loses tools or friends...

E.g. you need some drilling done. I live local and have a drill press. You come around or I come to you and we do the job, have a chat etc. job done.

Just a suggestion.

pablopepper
27-05-2015, 04:27 PM
Stan, I think you've nailed it.

wokkaboy
27-05-2015, 04:31 PM
nice pun there Pablo !
I agree with Stan, tools can be very precious to some/most builders and getting together with another forum member nearby is a good excuse to meet another forum member and catch up and trade ideas/methods.

stan
28-05-2015, 11:42 AM
don't forget that for things like bandsaws, thickness planers etc, you may have a local Men's Shed that has stuff like that....

Nickosaurus
28-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Bang on Stan. Too much chance for things to go wrong with that. Having a specific objective in mind will make the process a lot more focussed and successful too.

dingobass
28-05-2015, 01:27 PM
With the expense involved in purchasing good quality tools, I would never loan or hire mine out.
I am, however, always happy to have local builders come to the Man Cave and do what ever needs to be done.

Usual fee is a few good quality beers and a laugh or three...