PDA

View Full Version : Westone Restoration

pablopepper
26-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Here's an interesting project. My buddy found this hiding under his house, a long forgotten about fixer upper, so we decided to breathe some life back in to the old girl. He thought it was a Yamaha, but after a little google sleuthery we figured it was a Westone Thunder Jet, made in 1986 at the Matsumoko plant in Japan. This could be fun.

http://i.imgur.com/33DjTJx.jpg

Unsure yet as to whether to stain or paint or even colours, open to suggestions. The headstock, even though it was originally painted black, has a birdseye maple veneer. Nice detail.

andrewdosborne
26-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Wow, great find. I went under my house once and found an old antique horse whip?!?!?

wokkaboy
26-05-2015, 10:58 AM
nice find Pablo, so you doing the work for your mate or has he given it to you ? Pity its a lefty.
The timber grain looks nice enough to stain, any idea what type of wood the body is ? Looks dark enough to be mahogany.
Edit did a bit of research, website says solid alder body. Maybe it used to look like this Pablo
http://www.westone.info/thunderjet.html

pablopepper
26-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Oh cool. Nice find Wokka. I'd say that's exactly what it looked like. I'll be doing it up for my mate. No good to me, it's backwards! Lol. It'll be some good practice, my first lefty!

Most interesting thing I've ever found under my house was a cat skeleton. And spiders.

keloooe
26-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Nice find Pabs! I found some old Electronics Australia mags (dated June '79) and some programs and books from the DOS era... I was interested, rest of the family think of it all as junk...

Should be a cool finish no matter what you pick!

WeirdBits
26-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I loved my Westone Thunder I, wish I still had it. Great find, shame it's a lefty.

dingobass
26-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Dad and I found a secret room in the attic of the house
I grew up in...
In that room was a Vickers machine gun, 900+ rounds of ammo still in the belts, three Lee Enfield .303 rifles, two Webley .38 pistols and 1/2 dozen British issue hand grenades and a bunch of other military equipment. All packed in greased paper in the original cases...
Needless to say with that type of ordinance sitting right above the living room next to the chimney there was a bit of a panic and quick change of underwear required....
Local Filth was called, and after investigation it was discovered that it was most likely bought back from the Western Front by the Colonel who lived in our house in the late teens and early 20's.

wokkaboy
26-05-2015, 04:45 PM
wow thats a cool story DB, so this was in Bowral ?

sounds like you had enough military supplies for a small army !

stan
26-05-2015, 05:06 PM
great project Pabs, I'm a leftie, so just send it on down and I'll help you out by taking it....

Nickosaurus
26-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Pretty cool that it's an old leftie. Must be pretty rare!

pablopepper
26-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Holy cow. That is a truly amazing story, DB. Hand grenades and a Vickers. Wow.

keloooe
26-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Wow DB, no wonder why I keep hearing gunshots and explosions when someone tries to leave the Naughty Warehouse!!!

dingobass
26-05-2015, 07:43 PM
It was rather scary.. Some of the rounds were sweating.
The local Sergent nearly browned his daks when he saw the condition of the ammo, had to call in the military experts to remove it.
Amazing the gear some of those boys brought back with them, pity it wasnt a collection of musical instruments...

pablopepper
27-05-2015, 06:03 AM
Jeez, I bet that stuff would have been worth an absolute fortune to a collector. If it was musical instruments, at least you would have been able to sell it.

Fretworn
27-05-2015, 10:53 AM
A friend of a friend was a greenkeeper at a bowling club and used to chat to the little old lady next door. When she found out he played guitar she offered him the guitar that had been sitting around the house unused since the 1970's. It was an old Strat in good condition. He did the "right" thing and told her it was probably worth a fair bit of cash and offered to help her sell it.

I guy who I went to school had a similar thing happen. He used to mow the lawns for an old lady who, when she found out he was learning guitar offered to sell him her son's old guitar that was sitting around the house for about $80. It was a spotless Martin acoustic. He did have the other guys qualms and gave her the cash. That Martin is, to this day, the nicest guitar I have ever played.

wokkaboy
27-05-2015, 10:55 AM
nice one Fretty so the motto of your stories are you can get some cheap axes from little old ladies !