PDA

View Full Version : Mount neck first?

Island_Moose
24-05-2015, 04:48 AM
All,
My FS-1 neck is glue in, and I can see advantages of either installing it now, or after the body is finished. I am concerned about gluing it on after I've finished the body, and it would be handy to have a "handle" during the finish process.

Thoughts?

gavinturner
24-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Hey Moose,
It depends on what finish you are going with. You can finish both separately and glue last or do it now. If you are using a spray on finish / spray on clear then it could be advantageous to glue early. If you are using a wipe on finish / clear it is much easier to do this with the neck off.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
24-05-2015, 07:04 AM
if you want a handle but don't want the inconvenience of having the neck on, screw a short timber blank in the neck pocket with some short screws (don't go through...). I drill a hole in the blank as well to hang it with.

andrewdosborne
24-05-2015, 10:35 AM
With wipe on finish I usually glue in neck before top coats to get a good finish around the join. It's a bit harder to handle with the neck on. I also screw a hook into the bottom of body where strap button goes to hang up whilst curing.

keloooe
24-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I used stains on my previous kits and I glued / bolted on the neck after the last top coat cured, you can get a better finish around the join with sprays if you attach the neck beforehand!

dingobass
24-05-2015, 06:42 PM
All of the above are good.
I shove a broom handle with a hanging hole bored into the end into the output jack hole. This way you can finish the guitar with the neck attached or not