PDA

View Full Version : Mounting pickups on TLA-1

Jeff
19-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Back from holidays and decided its time to start on this kit. Laid every thing out today and looked at the pickups. I gather from a previous question on this same subject, that the neck pickup is mounted to the pick guard with two screws with springs to keep pressure downwards, like-wise the bridge pickup is mounted to the bridge with screws and springs. However, the screws in the bridge pup have no springs and the neck pup is the same, but no screws as well. The original kit I was sent had springs already fitted to the screws, but not this one. Now there is two different springs sealed in the package, but not sure what there for as they appear to short. Maybe I'm not thinking straight and they are mounted differently.
Any ideas?
Jeff

wokkaboy
19-05-2015, 04:10 PM
hey Jeff,
might help can you please post a photo.
From memory with my ash tele the 2 shorter springs should be for the neck pup. You may have to drill holes in the pickguard for these.
There should be 3 longer screws and springs for the bridge pup which mounts on the bridge plate. The threads may lift and lower the bridge pup so maybe no need for springs. Been a while since I built mine.
Also important do a mock build and post the 12th fret to both E bridge saddle distances. Mine I had to route the bridge pup cavity about 5mm north to achieve intonation.

Jeff
20-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Wokka, thanks for the reply. Doh! springs interwoven with each other so all good. Will check the measurements soon as I'm able.
Thanks, Jeff

wokkaboy
20-05-2015, 12:17 PM
no worries Jeff, that has happened to me I thought I was short a spring or 2 ! Sometimes they stick to the magnet on the bottom of the pickup too and you think you lost them !
Look forward to the mock build pics

Jeff
21-05-2015, 08:25 AM
Wokka, on the top E string, the measurement from the inside edge of nut to crown of 12th fret is 323, and from the 12th fret to center of bridge cylinder is 324, although I may get another turn out of the screw ( that one is shorter than the others, is that normal?). With the lower E string I have tons of adjustment either way to achieve the measurement, what should that be?
On my body there is a hole drilled from the neck pickup to the neck pocket.What is this one for? Is it still necessary to run a earth wire to the bridge, even though the pickup, is already earthed to the control panel and then screwed to bridge?
Jeff

wokkaboy
21-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Hi Jeff, sounds fine those measurements, typically the high E would be about 323-325mm from 12th fret and low E would be about 326-328mm from the 12th fret.
The hole in the neck pocket has no function, this is the only access point for the long drill to drill from the neck to bridge cavity.
Earthing to the bridge is a must, the whole control panel must be earthed to the bridge

Jeff
21-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks.....Jeff