PDA

View Full Version : ES-1GT Question

tomolsson
17-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Hi, I bought a kit some time ago and after a few fits and starts I am ready to attach the neck. Following the various Youtube guides I have a little problem in that the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is 313mm while the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge is 323mm for the bottom E - there is almost a centimetre difference and that is with the bridge screws adjusted as far as they will go. The top E is a little better but still 7 or 8 mm difference. I can't bring the neck any closer to the bridge without having to cut into the body in order to re-position the neck pick-up.

Looking at my other guitars the distance seems to vary a bit with the bridge generally being angled so that the bottom E string will have a longer distance between bridge and 12th fret than 12th fret and nut while the top E seems to equidistant.

Should I worry about this?

Tom

andrewdosborne
17-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Just to double check that you are measuring from the side of the nut (fretboard side) to the middle of the 12th fret. Then the distance from the middle of the 12th fret to the high E string saddle (where string touches it) should be same.

dingobass
18-05-2015, 12:29 PM
It does sound a bit funky but there is an inbuilt compensation.

To check that it is not too excessive, clamp the neck in place and string up the two E strings.
Bring up to tune and then check intonation at the 12th as well as the harmonics.
You may find that it is ok.